Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: suggestions to spybot

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    You don't trust in a software just because it promotes a tool bar ; ). What I don't like about SAS's individual file scanner is that it simply doesn't work. It's crippled. It takes some secs to scan a file. And it reports as 1 file scanned.

Actually the toolbar is created by Comodo theirselves, just that the search engine is based on Ask.com.

WinPatrol doesn't warn about EVERY software installed ; ). You're misunderstanding. It usually has less prompts than TeaTimer.
    --

What you're saying is false. When you purchase the software it prompts the SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS. That way you won't purchase something accidentally.

I don't buy security software because the suites are more like memory giants. : )
    when i scanned a file with sas it rapported that only one file was scanned, but there was several files inside.

what they say about system requirements doesnt matter if it doesnt work on my computer, even if having a computer that meets the requirements. yes some of them use very much memory.

Depends on how much memory you have. Nowadays, RAM can be purchased for a reasonable price. I think it was $70.00 USD for 2GB of RAm. The hard part would be installing it.

rapported? Don't you mean reported? That's the odd thing... you take some MBs of file and let SAS scan it and it reports only one file. :-/.

Depends on what software. Describe what you mean when you say "...doesn't matter if it doesn't work on your computer...". In what way does it not "work". There's gotta be a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Depends on how much memory you have. Nowadays, RAM can be purchased for a reasonable price. I think it was $70.00 USD for 2GB of RAm. The hard part would be installing it.

rapported? Don't you mean reported? That's the odd thing... you take some MBs of file and let SAS scan it and it reports only one file. :-/.

Depends on what software. Describe what you mean when you say "...doesn't matter if it doesn't work on your computer...". In what way does it not "work". There's gotta be a reason.
    i ment reported. i couldnt connect to the internet at all sometimes when using norton internet security, it was also slower than other antiviruses/antispywares and i dont care about firewalls like the one norton have, if some malware doesnt get in on the computer it doesnt get out, but it may be a additional layer of security anyway with such firewalls so it is good to have for some people. i want utorrent and other programs to work perfectly without getting cryptic messages about everything and cant connect with utorrent because i have denied some message from the firewall and cant understand how to revert what i have denied. some security software just scares people, like the antispywares that detect tracking cookies and call them high risk so people think they have REAL malware on the computer. but you must pay for some of them to use immunizers like spybot have. i know about only this free programs that have immunizers for free: spybot, spywareblaster and spywareterminator and of course the hostsfiles, but some of the free ones also have realtime protection but that ones acually RUN, but the bad download blocker also run but have not slowed down ie7 for me. the only thing that runs on my computer and is HELPING to block ads and malicious and tracking sites is hostsman, (hostsman doesnt block anything without the third party hostsfiles) because without it the hostsfiles doesnt work properly and everything slows down and ugly error messages from ie7 shows up when something is blocked with the hostsfiles. so i use its server to avoiding the error messages. but when updating the hostsfiles with hostsman we should use the setting: default action overwrite, or else the hostsfile will grow endlessly. when updating the hostsfiles spybots hostsfile is deleted so it should be merged with the others everytime they are updated with hostsman, but that is the users choice. in my opinion the dns client should be disabled or set to manual so nothing will slow down, but i dont know if that setting is recommended on all operating systems but it works perfectly to me on xp. i recommend they who use hostsfiles to read about the dns client on the web, but it could be confusing for some when different sites has their own opinion about the dns client.

it isnt possible on my computer to buy and use more RAM. i will buy a newer computer some other time.

why isnt EVERY trusted antispyware used in the malware removal forum? does hijackthis detect the most of the malware? almost everyone of them is detecting malware the others dont. i understand that it would be time consuming.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-07-05 at 13:58.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ...but you must pay for some of them to use immunizers like spybot have.

why isnt EVERY trusted antispyware used in the malware removal forum? does hijackthis detect the most of the malware? almost everyone of them is detecting malware the others dont. i understand that it would be time consuming.
    Spybot is a donateware. It's free and whether you wish to donate or not is up to you.

HiJack This is specifically used as a "diagnostic" tool. It scans for running processes, services, startup, IE, etc. It is not used to remove malware. This tools gives "information" about the computer. Then how would malware experts help the victim if they do not know what's on the computer? They don't have the time to remotely help them.
    --
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16806
    --

No two infections are the same and no two computers are the same. Keep that in mind.

Trusted antispyware? In my opinion, running EVERY tool will simply be too difficult as it is time consuming. Not all users are computer literate. Running ALL the tools will be just difficult to comprehend.