Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: suggestions to spybot

How the heck is Spybot-SD the "funniest" anti-spyware program you used?

what other freeware antispyware has such tools like spybot? i havent found one yet. but some has some small tools.

someone also downloads spybot from torrents i can see, and even other freeware. i always download freeware from the authors sites, or from www . download .com

MalwareBye's AM, is only used for infected computers.

i didnt know that. thats strange. so you should buy mbam only when you know you are infected?

how do i make Quotes? after i have finished and submitted what i wrote?
    Last edited by blues; 2008-07-01 at 15:19.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    How the heck is Spybot-SD the "funniest" anti-spyware program you used?

what other freeware antispyware has such tools like spybot? i havent found one yet. but some has some small tools.

someone also downloads spybot from torrents i can see, and even other freeware. i always download freeware from the authors sites, or from www . download .com

MalwareBye's AM, is only used for infected computers.

i didnt know that. thats strange. so you should buy mbam only when you know you are infected?

how do i make Quotes? after i have finished and submitted what i wrote?
    Ah, that's nice. I see. I just find it funny that people are purposely (or accidentally) infecting their computer which freeware which they can download in a minute. Torrents take forever :P.
    --
    Actually you can use MBAM free of charge. You can purchase the software for it's full potential. Is your computer having malware problems?
    --

Under by post there will be a button: QUOTE. Next to it will be big quotation marks.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Ah, that's nice. I see. I just find it funny that people are purposely (or accidentally) infecting their computer which freeware which they can download in a minute. Torrents take forever :P.
    --
    Actually you can use MBAM free of charge. You can purchase the software for it's full potential. Is your computer having malware problems?
    --

Under by post there will be a button: QUOTE. Next to it will be big quotation marks.

i have just found out some strange entries or what it is called with hijackthis, they are also in the spybot startuplist. but i dont have symptoms of malware, only ie7 freezing on some webpages, it may be my display driver that is buggy, i cant waste the time the experts in the malware removal forums have with the strange entries when not having symptoms of malware on the computer. i must use the default microsoft driver, or else everything is unreadable. there is also a black bar on right of the screen after formatting, but that may be because of sp2, sp1 worked great but someone installed sp2 on my computer when they were fixing it so i dont know if sp2 is the problem. i think i have read on the laptopvideo2go page that this is a problem with some toshiba laptops. the driver on the toshiba page is the same that i have on my disc. i dont download new drivers, it is just a pain to install all of them one by one. i can make it fullscreen and the black bar is then disappearing, but the picture and text quality is not good.

should i post a log in the malware removal forum? or is that just going to waste their time?

Lightbulb

I have a problem with IE7 freezing on some pages and on 1 of them (that I know about) it's the phishing filter that's the problem, turn it off and the page loads but leave it on and it crashes
    Last edited by Terminator; 2008-07-01 at 18:47. Reason: Fixed typo
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I have a problem with IE7 freezing on some pages and on 1 of them (that I know about) it's the phishing filter that's the problem, turn it off and the page loads but leave it on and it crashes
    i personally dont like the phising filter, but i have never thought of that, maybe that is the cause. if i dont use mvpshosts, hphosts and spybot hostsfiles then it is getting worse and the (what do you call it (fan?) is always making noise on some pages, when there is ads or maybe flash ads on the sites. i think the hostsfiles and immunize in spybot and spywareblaster is better than the microsoft phishingfilter. i have yet to see a page being blocked by the phishing filter.

Default xmlwin.dll (downloader mislead.app)

Hello,
    this program xmlwin.dll is an dangerous adware.It adds a registry key to windows registry,and every time you open your win explorer,it open a warning message and redirect you to an antivirus website.Please add it to your database.
    if you are infected with it, remove this file and key manually :

Infection:
    c:\windows\system32\xmlwin.dll
    Browser Cache
    Registry:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B1892F58-1116-4DEC-92AA-577872EC3D3D}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{B1892F58-1116-4DEC-92AA-577872EC3D3D}

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by elshorbagy View Post
    Hello,
    this program xmlwin.dll is an dangerous adware.It adds a registry key to windows registry,and every time you open your win explorer,it open a warning message and redirect you to an antivirus website.Please add it to your database.
    if you are infected with it, remove this file and key manually :

Infection:
    c:\windows\system32\xmlwin.dll
    Browser Cache
    Registry:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B1892F58-1116-4DEC-92AA-577872EC3D3D}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{B1892F58-1116-4DEC-92AA-577872EC3D3D}

thank you
    if it isnt detected by spybot you should submit it, look at this: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1699

I recall that either it was SmitFraud or Zlob that redirects you to those "misleading" sites and changes the HOSTS file so the user cannot access security websites. But I'm sure that SmitFraud bombards the user's desktop with pop-ups.

blues, I would suggest fixing the entries with HiJack This, unless you are really sure what you're doing.

I don't think it can be a malware intervening with the display, so save the time in the Malware Forums.

I think the drivers may be a problem. Yes, it's tedious but it's worth your time. 'Better safe than sorry' (like go the extra step). Microsoft Updates/Windows Update offers driver updates for your display card, modem, and sound drivers. You should definitely check it out.

Confirm the source of Windows XP SP2. Was it from Windows Update?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    I recall that either it was SmitFraud or Zlob that redirects you to those "misleading" sites and changes the HOSTS file so the user cannot access security websites. But I'm sure that SmitFraud bombards the user's desktop with pop-ups.

blues, I would suggest fixing the entries with HiJack This, unless you are really sure what you're doing.

I don't think it can be a malware intervening with the display, so save the time in the Malware Forums.

I think the drivers may be a problem. Yes, it's tedious but it's worth your time. 'Better safe than sorry' (like go the extra step). Microsoft Updates/Windows Update offers driver updates for your display card, modem, and sound drivers. You should definitely check it out.

Confirm the source of Windows XP SP2. Was it from Windows Update?
    the display driver on the toshiba page is the same as the one i has on my cd, i have tried it and found that out. the other newer drivers for other things on the computer hasnt fixed the problem. toshiba wont update the drivers for my computer anymore because they have put them in their archives. i have got sp2 from windows update. the only driver microsoft update/windows update have is for my network card. i should download the newer drivers from toshiba again but it wont help me because i have tried exactly that drivers before.

the only thing microsoft update has is microsoft silverlight and exactly the same network card driver that toshiba have, but no sites that i know about use silverlight, but downloading silverlight wont fix my problem. silverlight is such a thing like flash i think.

i wont damage my computer by fixing the hijackthis entries when i dont know what it is. i think it isnt allowed to post my hijackthis log here, but doing that would help me. is it allowed? what should i do with this? two of the entries does belong to something i have had on the computer before, but i dont know if i should fix that ones. it isnt malware. the other entries i dont know what is.

i succesfully removed a chinese toolbar with hijackthis some years ago, the entry i found couldnt be other thing other than the toolbar. the toolbar installed through an exploit i think. i have just some little knowledge what to fix with hijackthis.

is it really necessary to download the drivers? do you use to download new drivers?

Chinese toolbar? Do you mean 'Baidu'?

Microsoft Silverlight, heck, has nothing to do with any of your problems. It's just like Adobe Flash. Just that it requires you to run it to see specific Microsoft websites such as the Silverlight itself. Personally, I don't see any use for it.

Second, this forum does not allow HiJack logs to be posted anywhere with the exception of the Malware Forums.
    --
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1266
    --
    You said you have two entries? I don't I can help because even if you did post it, I cannot give you malware solutions to it.

Well, you're story about the Toshiba sounds a lot like another thread... it was about HP updates. To the point:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...su_sc_home.jsp
    http://copiers.toshiba.com/support/d.../drivers.shtml
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t..._sc_modSel.jsp
    http://www.toshiba.com/tai/

Alright, I found some links to the drivers. What drivers you have, I have no idea, and it's all up to you.

As for me, I received a driver update for my modem, graphics card, and something else. I forgot the third one. However, on other computer's I've seen updates for sound cards too. However, Microsoft/Windows Update does not offer updates and drivers for all products as it will be time consuming.
    --