Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: suggestions to spybot

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Chinese toolbar? Do you mean 'Baidu'?

Microsoft Silverlight, heck, has nothing to do with any of your problems. It's just like Adobe Flash. Just that it requires you to run it to see specific Microsoft websites such as the Silverlight itself. Personally, I don't see any use for it.

Second, this forum does not allow HiJack logs to be posted anywhere with the exception of the Malware Forums.
    --
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1266
    --
    You said you have two entries? I don't I can help because even if you did post it, I cannot give you malware solutions to it.

Well, you're story about the Toshiba sounds a lot like another thread... it was about HP updates. To the point:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...su_sc_home.jsp
    http://copiers.toshiba.com/support/d.../drivers.shtml
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t..._sc_modSel.jsp
    http://www.toshiba.com/tai/

Alright, I found some links to the drivers. What drivers you have, I have no idea, and it's all up to you.

As for me, I received a driver update for my modem, graphics card, and something else. I forgot the third one. However, on other computer's I've seen updates for sound cards too. However, Microsoft/Windows Update does not offer updates and drivers for all products as it will be time consuming.
    --
    i dont know if it was baidu, i think i had ad-aware and spybot at that time, but they didnt detect anything so i had no other choice but fixing it with hijackthis.

i already know were the drivers are, but thanks

it seems i maybe are getting help in another forum with my hijackthis log. i will scan my computer with several antimalware software. the only scanners i have is the antivirus antivir, and ad-aware and spybot. antivir didnt find anything, i have not tried ad-aware and spybot yet, but used them not long ago.

Why in the world will you start another thread? Having malware troubles?

If you knew where the driver updates were you wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. Can you update the drivers?

Run a full scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot-SD. The latest version of AdAware is AdAware 2008.

Why in the world will you start another thread? Having malware troubles?

If you knew where the driver updates were you wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. Can you update the drivers?

Run a full scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot-SD. The latest version of AdAware is AdAware 2008.

didnt you see this?: the driver on the toshiba page is the same that i have on my disc. (the display driver)

so i know where the drivers are. and i downloaded a bios update from toshiba a while ago that according to them should be newer than the bios i have, but when trying to install it it told me that i have the latest bios. the information about when the drivers were updated is wrong because what seems to be new is the same drivers that i have.

i will see if i download the drivers again, but i will format my computer first, but i will not format in some weeks i think.

Having malware troubles?

Are you having some problems with malware? Is it on your PC?

Are you having some problems with malware? Is it on your PC?
    spybot detected this on my computer: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30395 so it seems some software or something changed the setting, i hope it is not malware that changed it. i have been getting help in another forum, i posted a hijackthis log on that forum, no malware or suspicious entries were found by the person who helped me said. but it seems that hijackthis didnt detect this change, hijackthis should maybe check more on the computer than it does. i wonder what software on my computer changed this setting, or maybe a malicious website did it. i will run several malwares scanners on my computer.

i found this on a website:
    When you encounter a Web page that is trying to run active content on your computer, you will receive a message prompting you to indicate whether you want to allow this. If you are certain that you want to allow the Web page to run ActiveX controls or scripts, click Yes in the message box. By clicking Yes, you allow the active content to run on the Web page you’re viewing, but only on that occasion. If you leave the page and return to it later, you will receive the message again (because you did not change the setting that allows active content to run on your computer).

WORKAROUND
    In some cases, say when you're building and testing a webpage locally (Local Machine Zone), you may still see the Information Bar when the web page executes any script, initiates a Pop-up windows, or a download. To totally disable the Local Machine Zone restriction (for running Active Content) (not recommended, though) for valid reasons, read below:

To allow any Web site to run scripts and ActiveX controls on your computer:

In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll down to the Security section of the list. Select the Allow active content to run in files on My Computer check box, and then click OK.

not from the website: so as i understand this allows any website on the web to run active content on the computer, i will say that i am glad that spybot detected this as i dont look at the advanced tab in internet explorer everyday.

I've read that thread too. I think it has to do with something with SP3. I think it's something with IE6, although I'm not so sure.

In my opinion, I don't think it's malicious. You have a firewall? How about AV (anti-virus)?

If you've answered this question before, then ignore it. I'm just having some trouble keeping track of every thread.

I've read that thread too. I think it has to do with something with SP3. I think it's something with IE6, although I'm not so sure.

In my opinion, I don't think it's malicious. You have a firewall? How about AV (anti-virus)?

If you've answered this question before, then ignore it. I'm just having some trouble keeping track of every thread.
    i think it is confusing sometimes to read all threads and remember where to reply, because i read almost every new thread but i am not reading so much in the malware removal forum.

i have antivir and use the windows xp firewall. have just scanned my computer with all this software: ad-aware, spywareterminator, a-squared, superantispyware and malwarebytes antimalware. none of them found malware on the computer but some of them found tracking cookies and usage tracks. i changed the settings in the programs to the best settings possible like full scan and other things. but i didnt change the default heuristic setting in antivir from medium to high because deleting what it finds when doing that may maybe harm the computer.

i use only spybot, ad-aware and spywareblaster of the antispywares. and hphosts, mvpshosts and hostsman to avoid seeing annoying ads and to block malicious sites. i dont have other protection than all this, but i have tried several security products with hips and bad behavior blocking software like threatfire.

i too may have asked you this but what security software do you use? how are they to use?

No offense to you, blues. But in my opinion... you're OD-ing on software security. That's just "kiddy" term.

In other words, you are acting paranoid.

SAS and MBAM are used for infected computer, let's say heavily infected computers. Personally, I only use SAS Free to catch the things that my other AS's and AV missed. I liked SAS's ability to remove SmitFraud so that's why I kept it.

What I would say to you is that: Never EVER use more than one Anti-virus or firewall. All that will do is cause more trouble.

I use the ADBLOCK PLUS add-on in Firefox, so it mostly "negates" the flashy and annoying banners and ads from most websites. Like those who say "Find your classmates from 1985!" and etc. I use Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.5.2.20 for HOSTS protection.

I also use Comodo's BOCLEAN and Bill P's WinPatrol +.

For a firewall I use Comodo Pro firewall and avast! 4.8 for anti-virus.

Now keep in mind, I am not offering any solutions.

No offense to you, blues. But in my opinion... you're OD-ing on software security. That's just "kiddy" term.

In other words, you are acting paranoid.

SAS and MBAM are used for infected computer, let's say heavily infected computers. Personally, I only use SAS Free to catch the things that my other AS's and AV missed. I liked SAS's ability to remove SmitFraud so that's why I kept it.

What I would say to you is that: Never EVER use more than one Anti-virus or firewall. All that will do is cause more trouble.

I use the ADBLOCK PLUS add-on in Firefox, so it mostly "negates" the flashy and annoying banners and ads from most websites. Like those who say "Find your classmates from 1985!" and etc. I use Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.5.2.20 for HOSTS protection.

I also use Comodo's BOCLEAN and Bill P's WinPatrol +.

For a firewall I use Comodo Pro firewall and avast! 4.8 for anti-virus.

Now keep in mind, I am not offering any solutions.
    the only thing that was detected was the malware that i have in the folder, but i dont count that because the malware was not executed/installed on the computer, right now the malware is in two zip files and two rar files inside another zip file. this is what was detected in the folder: spybot detected a trojan, this scanners detected nothing: spywareterminator, malwarebytes antimalware, and superantispyware. antivir detected 2 trojans a worm and a heuristic detection wich is a hacktool. a-squared detected the same hacktool, ad-aware also detected the hacktool.

they are not false positives. i understand that some detect what others miss, and the ones that detected nothing could have found things the others missed against other malware but i was surprised to see them not detecting anything.

i have tried boclean and winpatrol, but i have lost the trust in comodo when they have added ask toolbar in Comodo Firewall, i dont know if you can avoid installing the toolbar but i will not try comodo products again. i have heard that ask toolbar spyes on people. i will not use one software that add toolbars to their products even if the toolbars are useful. they should have made their own toolbars instead of using toolbars from a third party, but it is all about money. i have tried winpatrol too but didnt like it it warned about every software i installed, it should have a whitelist, so i dont have any antispyware realtimeprotection and the other freeware ones with realtime protection is not my taste. i will never buy security software, i will never know if it would work on my computer, i have had norton internet security but couldnt connect to internet all the times because of it and it slowed down the computer to much. there is no point for me to buy something that detect something once in a year and slows down the computer all the other time.

avast is good, i like it better than avg but it requires registration. i like antivir best and dont care about the big ad it shows every time i update it.

i have never used more than one antivirus and firewall.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-07-04 at 01:50.

You don't trust in a software just because it promotes a tool bar ; ). What I don't like about SAS's individual file scanner is that it simply doesn't work. It's crippled. It takes some secs to scan a file. And it reports as 1 file scanned.

Actually the toolbar is created by Comodo theirselves, just that the search engine is based on Ask.com.

WinPatrol doesn't warn about EVERY software installed ; ). You're misunderstanding. It usually has less prompts than TeaTimer.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ...i will never buy security software, i will never know if it would work on my computer...
    What you're saying is false. When you purchase the software it prompts the SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS. That way you won't purchase something accidentally.

I don't buy security software because the suites are more like memory giants. : )