Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Defs and Old version cases logon issue

Posting something half a dozen times in half a dozen places is regarded as spam (not facts) in almost every Internet forum I know. Same goes for letters or phone calls in real live. People who argument with facts usually have enough self-confidence to not have to use repetition as an "argument"

Regular netiquette also says that using upper caps or bold letters is regarded as shouting. That might have to do with your posts not being well accepted. And if you go shout at someone in real live, you don't expect something that leads to a good solution either, or do you?

As for remembering "such trivia", the settings page is available in Advanced Mode only, and if you switch to Advanced Mode, there's a warning shown. Why do you think that is shown?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Hellz Little Spy

I recently had the same experiences with Hellz Little Spy. However, I was lucky enough to find the following site: http://www.icompute.info/System_restore_from_xp_cd.htm and it gave directions for doing a system restore from Recovery. I have Windows XP and this site worked well for me. Good Luck!
    However, I still can't get Spybot to stop telling me I have Hellz Little Spy and Cool Search.

Quote Originally Posted by dalach View Post
    However, I still can't get Spybot to stop telling me I have Hellz Little Spy and Cool Search.
    Please upgrade (install the mainupdate) to have Spybot S&D stop finding these items when they are not present.

The Method described in your link is basically the same that is proposed by Microsoft for Windows XP and can be done if a Windows XP disc is present.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

I repeat my post I made earlier in another Spybot forum:

Spybot managed to disable two XP computers at us, too.

We fixed them using BartPE. Followed the instructions from here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm

I think it is ridiculous that this can happen just because a user did not upgrade the software, only the definitions. I don't upgrade a software just because a new version is out. The definition ugrade process should sense the version of the software and download relevant definitions only.

The makers of Spybot should be very ashamed now.

Rename HP_XP to HP_UX and go buy an Apple
    Using any Anti virus or Anti spyware be it A-Squared, Spybot, ad-aware or ones known for using false positives to encourage purchases and not googling any hits and/ or posting to this forum before deleting is a VERY bad practice.
    Browsing the AVG and AVAST forums today finds many reports of false positives or mis identified hits.
    With Spybot it is easy to ignore hits while you check them out.
    With the bad habit of FIXing unverified hits users are set up to have MAJOR problems with ANY software sooner rather than later.
    Welcome to the real world
    now fix your mistakes
    and get over it
    p.s. start clicking allow for plugins required

Wyrmrider

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmrider View Post
    Rename HP_XP to HP_UX and go buy an Apple
    Using any Anti virus or Anti spyware be it A-Squared, Spybot, ad-aware or ones known for using false positives to encourage purchases and not googling any hits and/ or posting to this forum before deleting is a VERY bad practice.
    Wyrmrider
    This is very true.....a lot of problems are caused by all of this software that has you deleting files......when you run a search and it comes up with 26 different files marked for deletion...some adware, some spyware, some malware, some virus....just go to Google and spend 10 hours every day looking up every item noted for deletion...search the company forum for that software, then go to another few sites noted in Yahoo, Google, Altavista and Microsoft Search....then read every post about each possible deletion....then make a decision whether to turn your computer off or not. Great idea!!
    Last edited by walker; 2008-07-08 at 08:25.
    "Toasted by hellzlittlespy born in Brasil living in America"

Some more software thoughts;

lesson learned......don't delete any files picked up by any software as they might have important registry code in them and might in fact be false positives for a virus, even though the virus is not there. Or, spend 10 hours a day on search engines trying to determine if others got hurt before you and posted to some forum or other web page describing what happened, so you can not do what they did when they deleted their registry or some other disaster occurred. Or maybe it is best if we all called each other after files are marked for deletion....then discussed the virtues of the deletions over some tea and apfelstrudel. After we arrive at a decision, then it would be up to each individual if he/she would like to make the deletion and hopefully a re-boot at some future date might be possible (or not!!).

(by the way...I just finished rebuilding a new hard drive and incorporating my saved files from the "injured by hellzlittlespy" toasted os drive)....all is well and I am ready to use Google to see what the next disaster will be.

I will soon be coming out with a new piece of software...it is called "Delete or Not" v 1.7. This software will automatically ring up 25 of the most knowledgeable people from 10 different internet forums and ask if they have any comments after your software picks up items for deletion. After review by these experts you can then rest assured of what you are about to do. Be very careful using this software as I am planning a V 1.8 very soon....at that point, I will have updates for v 1.7 (automatically updated) that will actually dial the late Bozo......and ask if you should hit the enter key....whatever happens at that point is a complete mystery. Probably better that you watch each day for the upgrade and not use the updates....as the Bozo dialer will be included in the updates...but not the upgrade (maybe!!). SpyBot...are you listening boy???????????
    Last edited by walker; 2008-07-08 at 08:36.
    "Toasted by hellzlittlespy born in Brasil living in America"

i was deleting everything glaryutilities found some time ago, and a program on my computer tried to reinstall itself everytime i opened up ie7. i was forced to format the computer. i will just stay away from such software that tries to tune up the computer, unexpected things can happen, and ccleaner deleted the settings i set in the flash controlpanel. in the controlpanel, there you can set how often you want Flash Player to check for updates, and other privacy and security options. the flash controlpanel is here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...s_manager.html

its just a warning not to delete everything different programs find. but who can you trust if you cant trust security programs. false positives must be expected, but software developers must take some critics and be responsible for their actions if they damage the computers that people have with their buggy software. even if it was tuneuputilities or norton.