Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Immunization against the Right Media tracking cookie

Default Immunization against the Right Media tracking cookie

Hello,

Would it be possible in a near future to include in the Spybot new definitions for immunization the Right Media tracking cookie which keeps coming in while surfing?

Thank you very much.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Boy016:

I was under the impression that tracking cookies from "Right Media" were blocked by both imminuzation (Internet Explorer and Mozilla browsers such as FireFox, Opera, SeaMonkey, etc.) and in addition by Spybot's SDHelper for Internet Explorer. If not could you provide that name of the cookie that is not being blocked?

There is another way to prevent the downloading (storing) of Tracking Cookies in Internet Explorer as well as most other WEB browsers without using either imminuzation or Spybot's SDHelper. See:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

The name of this cookie is Ad.Yieldmanager, I think. I have browsed some other forums (most of them in French, sorry) and I noticed that quite a few other Spybot users have encountered similar problems with this (not dangerous) cookie:

http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=...+spybot+&meta=

I know this is a very trivial problem with no sign at all of real malware infection; however you can understand that I was even more happy at the time when I received congratulations after a virgin scan.
    Last edited by Boy016; 2008-06-29 at 23:37.

Default right media

hi
    i also get the same cookie result everytime i run sptbot it gets annoying to think that this particular cookie can coninue to escape the net. is their any chance this can be stopped. vince29

Well, it does not "escape" the net or something like that. You will continue to get that cookie each time you browse the web. Even if it's a simple Google search, you'll end up with a cookie.

A workaround would be clearing the cookies from your browsers so Spybot does not detect it on scan.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Well, it does not "escape" the net or something like that. You will continue to get that cookie each time you browse the web. Even if it's a simple Google search, you'll end up with a cookie.

A workaround would be clearing the cookies from your browsers so Spybot does not detect it on scan.
    If the mere fact of surfing on the web causes this particular cookie to appear, Spybot could perhaps exclude this "harmless" tracking cookie from its detection list (if it cannot block it).

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Boy016:

Cookies from ad.yieldmanager.com should be blocked by Spybot's immunization process as well as by Spybot's SDHelper (IE only).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Right Media still turns up in scans for me even though Spybot and also immunisation is up to date etc.

I use Internet Explorer 8, and I do have the browser closed when immunising. SD Resident claims to be doing its thing.

Somehow the darn thing slips through the net.

It is identified as a cookie from ad.yieldmanager.com. I've just got rid of it again about 10 minutes ago and came on here to see if there was anything planned for it.
    Last edited by shadow42; 2009-09-23 at 18:03.

Hello,

You can also simply avoid all third party cookies by following the appropriate tutorial listed here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

The Right Media tracking cookie is NOT removed like Spybot claims. I can be OFF the internet and run Spybot twice consecutively. Tracking cookies other than Right Media are no longer there on the second running but the Right Media cookie remains. Somehow it has fooled Spybot into thinking it has been deleted on the first pass when it has not.

I update Spybot weekly and immunize after each update. I also run Windows Defender (which is set for automatic updates) and Ad-Aware which I update each time I am on the internet. Neither Defender nor Ad-Aware flags the Right Media cookie.

Deleting cookies does not get rid of this thing, either as someone suggested.

For anti-virus I run avast! which has automatic update.

I really would like to get rid of the Right Media cookie
    Last edited by paradocs; 2009-10-01 at 23:16. Reason: Omitted info