View Poll Results: Have you been infected with Virtumonde?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 63.64%
  • No

12 36.36%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have you been infected with Virtumonde?

I see. I don't feel like continuing this torrent conversation because it's hijacking the main point of this thread : ).

Just a side note: You give and get. If you limit your upload, you'll slow down your download.

I installed a program that contained a copy of virtumonde, and then allowed it past teatimer.

Then swore lots and lots.

Smile

I haven't been infected by Virtumonde yet on my WinME ( It was a free system given to me ), XP Home nor Pro systems but then I have hpHosts, MVPS HOSTS files, Windows Defender and WinPatrol installed.

I use avast! Home anti virus and Spybot S&D resident and I run its scan every time there is s definition update.
    Change is inevitable except from a vending machine
    IE7Pro user

The best thing to make your computer safe and view programs is Virtual PC. You can use/install programs on Virtual PC, and your real PC does not have any changes. It's really useful. Only I hate about using Virtual PC is that you must set some settings which can be confusing. I use innotek VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/.

Note: If you have shares between Virtual PC and real PC, and Virtual PC is infected, the infection can infect real PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K View Post
    Note: If you have shares between Virtual PC and real PC, and Virtual PC is infected, the infection can infect real PC.
    Wait a minute... can you explain that part again?

Can VPC run Vista on XP?

If you run for example a worm in Virtual PC, the worm can thru shared folders infect a real PC by copying the file to shared folder.
    About running OS, you can run Vista (as Virtual OS) on XP.

So it would be 50, 50 risky to attempt to test and play with malware on a VPC?

So I can use Vista as a VPC and just close the session like it never happened?

Only if you are using shared folders between Virtual PC and real PC.

You can run Vista on VPC and use it. When you close the session, the real OS (XP) doesn't have any changes affected by VPC.

Just one last question, would you say it's "okay" to run VPC for fun and see the functions of Vista.

Say like you've never had a Vista before and all you see were screenshots from the Internet.

If you want to see some features of it, and you have setup for Vista, you can install it on VPC, but you shouldn't activate Vista because you can use Vista without activation for 30 days.

There is something good/bad (depends). When Vista becomes expired on VPC, you can reinstall Vista by installing Vista on new virtual drive. And you can use it again for 30 days.