Thread: Hosts file backups

Question Hosts file backups

Is there a way to keep the hosts file from making so many backups or none at all? I'm running W2K SP4 with all patches. My issue that when I try to immunize, the hosts file does not get immunized. The only way I have found that I can get immunize to work is by deleting all the backup hosts files created by Spybot 1.5.2.

I do not have any of the other programs installed that have been suspected of causing this problem when I did a search on this issue. (No Zonealarm, no Spywareblaster, no Spysweeper and so on.) I have also checked that my hosts file does not have any attributes set.
    Last edited by enduser62; 2008-07-02 at 20:13.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

enduser62:

Quote Originally Posted by enduser62 View Post
    Is there a way to keep the hosts file from making so many backups or none at all? ...
    At the current time there is no way to prevent the creation of the backups. However ther may be something in the works in regard to the HOSTS file backups (at least deleting them) in a future release.

The following thread contained a suggestion concerning HOSTS file backups:

In post #117, blues suggested:

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    hi. i have some suggestions to spybot, i can see that i have 11 hostsfile backups in the hostsfile folder, maybe they can be removed by spybot so we dont have to do that manually because the folder is just growing and growing and some people maybe dont know the folder is growing, i mean it is just necessary to have just one backup.

PepiMK responded in post # 119 with:

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post

@blues:
    1. Good point on backups. We probably should combine all types of backups in 2.0, so that we could put a global "age" for them.

2. If it would be on the wizard, many 2000 users would disable it without knowing what it is about probably. What are the chances that users who actually need this service would blindly disable it, and suddenly have no connection? Rumors on that service are various. Are there any Microsoft recommendations that this file could be safely disabled?

3. See 1., it's probably best to get some combined data storage solution instead of implementing this in various different locations right now.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

There's an inofficial way to get none at all actually : a registry tweak called CreateHostsBackup.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

PepiMK:

I'm sorry I missed that but I am still unable to logon to http://wiki.spybot.info to view the CreateHostsBackup registry tweak.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.