Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Update-Server Available - None!

Exclamation No Update-Server Available - None!

Main problem is: This is another consecutive day I am seeing "No server selected" on the button where the default server was usually listed. This is the button next to the Download updates button, in the Update window. And clicking on the arrowhead does not pull down a list of servers, as it formerly did. So, I cannot select a server!
    Bad karma! So I haven't updated Spybot for several days - because I can't.
    Info - Win XP SP2 fully updated, 512MB RAM, Intel P4 CPU, AVG Free updated, PestPatrol, Spyware Doctor, and Adaware updated all find nothing, and of course, Spybot never had that problem before.
    Now, 2nd problem, I have frequently had Spybot hiccup on downloads, by giving me a Bad checksum!!! report in the download window; but I could always change download servers among a list of four or five, until one of them usually would give a complete download and turn the checkmark green. Strangely, even though the checkmark did go green, the Bad checksum!!! statement would remain in place. I know, this is a different problem, different from having NO servers available. I do not know of any method to insert a server URL. The list does not pull out, the button acts dead.
    Would appreciate comments on either/both items. My best guess is, uninstall and reinstall Spybot, and then see what happens.
    Any other better ideas, anybody?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The last updates to Spybot were on 2006-03-10. New updates will probably be issued later today (2006-03-17).

After you click "Search for Updates" how long is it taking before the following message appears:
    • Information
      No newer updates available
      OK

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Post No Server Selected and No Message

TNX for the reply from a member of the Adviser Team, md usa spybot fan. I regret that I have been unable to get back to you sooner, am on travel and it's difficult, for different reasons at different times.

Now - The message you specified has never appeared even once since this phenomenon began occurring, and it probably began back around the 11th. This phenom. is still happening tonight. What does happen is, upon clicking the "Search for updates" button, the "Update progress" box blinks for perhaps 200 millliseconds, and that is the only action that is seen. By studying this box's brief appearance repeatedly, I saw that the message window in this box stayed clear, and the progress bar at bottom stayed clear, and the fixed text in the yellow area read the same as always, starting with, "Spybot Search & Destroy is contacting the update server." It was too quickly gone, for me to read much more than that first sentence, nevertheless I saw that this text did not change during the brief flashes of visibility of this box. The 2nd button still reads "No server selected," and this button still lights up on mouseover, and the tooltip still says Press "Search for updates" first to get a list of download mirrors, and on hitting the Search for updates button, no list appears and the 2nd button doesn't change and the Update progress box flashes and vanishes, and clicking the pull-down produces absolutely nothing, and, so on...

I can assure you that I have, and have always had, a solid internet connection (broadband on cable), at all these times, as evidenced by my ability to post this communication tonight.

Over to you, for more help. I appreciate your helpfulness. I hope that giving you this much detail will be helpful to you in narrowing the list of possibilities. arrow head

Basketx (my Spybot updater is a basket case...)

P.S. I don't know why the word, server, is highlighted by this texteditor. I didn't do anything more than type the word in my sentences, so I thnk that there is nothing meaningful to me in the highlighting of the words, "server." - - B.
    Last edited by basketx; 2006-03-23 at 05:25.

basketx:

I am really not sure what is happening since you are not receiving any messages before the update process stops.

The update process starts with a download of a control file (spybotsd.ini) from one of the following locations:

Until that file is downloaded and processed the "No server selected" button will not change to a server list because list of update servers is not available to the program.

First clean out your Internet Explorer cache. Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options… > General tab > in the "Temporary Internet files" section click "Delete Files…".

Try the update process again. Go into Spybot > Update (left pane) > on the Update screen click the "Search for Updates" button (right pane).

If the update does not work, check if the spybotsd.ini is being downloaded. Go into Spybot > Update (left pane) > on the Update screen click the "Show log" button (right pane) > then scroll to the bottom of the list. Are there any downloads shown for (assuming that yu are running Spybot 1.4):
    If there is no indication that that file is being downloaded, see what happens if you try to download that file manually via the browser to see if it is some type of access problem.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-03-23 at 08:20.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Cool Fixed It With 1.4

Thanks, md. This had been dragging on too long for my taste. I picked up on a hint and installed 1.4 and it seems to be updating and working normally. Well, updating "normally" includes several instances of repeated checksum errors - as has become usual lately.

No more information available on this 1.3 problem, now. I did not see the update file you named in the Spybot directory and subdirs while I had 1.3, so I thought, better try to "cut to the chase." Guess this closes this thread.

I have the same Problem. As i wanted to update Spybot, there were no mirrors. My default mirror is gone and i cant choose any...

For info: i click on "Update"-> no mirrors there, cant choose any.

Evtl. in deutsch^^

Ich kann keine Mirrors auswählen und bekomme Socket error 11004. Wenn Spybot startet drücke ich auf "Nach Updates suchen", dann sehe ich eben, dass es kein Mirror ausgewählt ist. Er sucht und gibt mir irgendwann den Error.

Wenn ich dann über "Updates" reinkomme kann ich trotzdem keine Mirrors einstellen.

Ausserdem waren bei mir 2 Dateien in der Ignore-Liste ausgewählt, hab ich aber bestimmt nicht eingestellt.

Bitte um Rat

Socket Error # 11004 is usually an indication that Spybot-S&D is being blocked from accessing the internet. Make sure that SpybotSD.exe is authorized in your firewall to access the internet.

Since you evidently speak Deutsch there is a German language forum here:

It maybe pointless to make another thread so i just stay here

I was able to update before, nothing changed

I just cant select any Mirrors.

The mirrors do not appear until the successful download of the spybotsd.ini control file. If you are getting a Socket Error # 11004 while attempting to download that file you will not have any mirrors listed.

Go into Spybot > Update > Show Log. You will see that the Search for Updates starts with the download of the spybotsd.ini file. The most likely cause of the problem that you are having is that something is now blocking that download.

I suggest that you:
    1. Reauthorize SpybotSD.exe to access the internet in your firewall.

--- or ---

2. Temporarily disable your firewall to check and see if that is the cause.

Unhappy no updates found since Feb 06

This sounds a bit like my problem, but not quite the same.

I have Spybot 1.4, running with Windows XP prof and zone alarm firewall.

When I click on "Search for updates", a window pops up for around 1 sec with update progress. A little message then appears at the bottom for a split second with "no new update available". No updates have been found since February 06, when it mysteriously stopped working. It doesn't matter which server I choose. Spybot has internet access permissions within the firewall. I use direct internet access, i.e. not through a proxy server. The Update log shows nothing new since Feb. The timestamp of the file C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates.ini has not changed since Feb. When I manually load the downloads using Firefox there's no problem at all - but its not convenient!

I understand from other posts that I'm not getting the spybotsd.ini file, but I have no idea why!

thanks in advance for any help,

hakase