Thread: Can No Longer Add or Delete Blocked Websites On Notepad

Default Can No Longer Add or Delete Blocked Websites On Notepad

Hi,

I have been having trouble adding and removing blocked websites on my computer, and I think spybot might be the cause. I am hopping that someone can help me out.

It all started after I ran Spybot to scan my computer. Later on, I decided to edit the websites I had blocked on my computer. Unfortuneatly, notepad would let me edit the list, but it would not let me save them. So I am stuck with the same list of sites. I am talking about the list of you localhost. The one when you go into the commandprompt and enter "Notepad C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts"

At the bottom of my list is this...
    # Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
    # End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
    There is nothing in between the "# Start..." and the "# End..." .

When I try to save my list, a message come up saying something similar to "Cannot creat file C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts . Make sure the pathway and file name are correct."

Afterwards, a message comes up saying "Common Dialog Error (0X3002)"

That is all the information I have.

On other note, I am not the best when it comes to computers, so please try to explain how to fix the problem in simple terms. Thank you.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Wanderer57:

If the entry was added by Spybot, you can go into Spybot – Search & Destroy » Mode » Advanced mode » Tools » Hosts file. Highlight the entry(s) that you want to remove and click the "Remove selected entries" button at the top of the right hand pane.

Many anti-spyware programs lock the HOSTS file by adding the "Read-only" attribute to the file. Spybot does that if either you:
    1. Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks and select the following entry:
      • Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers

--- or ---
    2. Add Spybots HOSTS file entries to yours.

If you want to edit the HOSTS file manually:
    • Using Windows Explorer navigate to the HOSTS file.
    • Right click on the file and select "Properties".
    • When the "HOSTS Properties" window opens make sure that the "Attributes" (near the bottom) do not indicate "Read-only". If they do, uncheck the "Read-only" attribute, click "Apply" followed by "OK".
    • If the "Read-only" attribute was on the file and you removed it, you should be able to open the file with Notepad and edit it normally.

Note: The are other anti-malware and firewall products that logically lock the HOSTS file and do not allow access even without the "Read-only" attribute set. If this is the case,

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.