Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: registry change startup

Default registry change startup

When I startup my computer, I get Creative Media Source graphic on my screen then Spybot asking be to allow a change to a startup entry or not. If I say "no", I still get the graphic when I start the computer and have to close the graphic, then a quick pop-up says Spybot startup entry denied. Should I allow change or not? Is something trying to invade my computer? And if so, can I be protected and still have the graphic go away?
    Thanks

Hello,

Please read this information about TeaTimer:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html
    and http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/34.html
    If you surf the web and without any user interaction the teatimer pops up and warns about a registry change it is better to "deny", but if you install something by yourself it is OK to "allow" the change.
    The tutorial (point 8) on our homepage should also help explaining:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/tutorial/index.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default re registry change startup

THanks for the reply. So I deny the change, click "remember this decision" but everytime I start up my computer, I still get the creative media source graphic that I then have to "x" out of (close). I want the graphic not to be there on computer startup. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superflag View Post
    THanks for the reply. So I deny the change, click "remember this decision" but everytime I start up my computer, I still get the creative media source graphic that I then have to "x" out of (close). I want the graphic not to be there on computer startup. thanks
    In TeaTimer 1.5:

If you check "Remember this decision" on a registry change, the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" similar registry changes for all future changes. To edit that information:
    • Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon (labeled "Spybot-SD Resident") and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
      • Allowed registry changes
      • Blocked registry changes
      • Allowed processes
      • Blocked processes
    • You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. If entries you are interested in are for registry changes, the entries that you should review are in "Allowed registry changes" and "Blocked registry changes".
    • You can delete stored entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete, answering "Yes" to the confirmation dialog and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done.

--

You can undo the change.

Default re registry change startup

I want to deny the change, so I clicked "remember this decision". Even so, on start up the Creative Media Source graphic appears no matter what and I have to "x" out of it.

I have gone into tea timer blocked entry changes and I have deleted stored entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry, answering "Yes" to the confirmation dialog and then clicking the "OK" button.
    On computer startup, Creative Media graphic is back and I start all over again.

No matter how this creative media graphic is dealt with, it always returns when I restart the computer.

Thanks

flag, any idea what this.. "Creative Media Source" is? Is it installed on your PC?

It seems to be persistent in starting up. So, you're saying that it prompts you with TeaTimer even if you click YES?

It looks like a MP3 player or a music player: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_MediaSource

Do you know how to use "msconfig"? You can run it and disable the entry from starting up.

Default Still stuck

Thanks for the reply.
    I don't know how to use "msconfig" but I looked into how to use it. I just pulled it up and did not see the dreaded "creative media source" in the list of startups. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    It seems to be persistent in starting up. So, you're saying that it prompts you with TeaTimer even if you click YES?

It looks like a MP3 player or a music player: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_MediaSource
    superflag, do you see Creative MediaSource in your Add/Remove Programs window via Control Panel?

What is your OS?

Just one more question, do you have any idea what this 'Creative MediaSource'?

Default more info, no help

This is a good one. I did find it in msconfig and unchecked it, clicked "apply", restarted- still there on desktop when rebooted. It is in my control panel so I could delete it. Problem is, I don't know if I need it or not. I think it has to do with soundblaster, maybe something to do with the music. We do a lot of itunes so I don't want to delete something important.
    This stupid thing just appeared one day about 3-4 wks ago for no apparent reason and is been on desktop with startup ever since. I am wondering if it is some sort of computer infection...
    Thanks.

Default ps

windows xp