Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Hellzlittlespy (great work guys)

Please wait a few minutes. I'm starting my Windows 2000 system in order to compare the files.

Correction;

Software is 13.4 mb
    Software.old is 13.0 mb
    Software.sav is 13.0 mb

I was looking at it in the hive and not as a folder.
    "Toasted by hellzlittlespy born in Brasil living in America"

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    Please wait a few minutes. I'm starting my Windows 2000 system in order to compare the files.
    Thanks.......

100% software.bak is gone.....I looked at it from the individual folder in
    "My Computer" also.
    Last edited by walker; 2008-07-06 at 00:45.

This is bad because it seems that you have overwritten your old damaged registry. "Method 4" is too difficult. My fault, I shouldn't have let you trying this instead of using my first suggestion to unplug the drive. There is still hope for this system. One recovery should be still there. Do you have used the registry backup option in Spybot when you have installed the software? If yes, then there should be still a backup for you. I have to search the path because I didn't have Spybot installed.
    Last edited by chi-va; 2008-07-06 at 00:57.

Found it. Here is the FAQ containing the information for the registry backup:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/backup.html

This is bad because it seems that you have overwritten your old damaged registry. "Method 4" is too difficult. My fault, I shouldn't have let you trying this instead of using my first suggestion to unplug the drive. There is still hope for this system. One recovery should be still there. Do you have used the registry backup option in Spybot when you have installed the software? If yes, then there should be still a backup for you. I have to search the path because I didn't have Spybot installed.
    I have to agree with you on this...it certainly looks like the registry was overwritten. I have tried to load all three options and they are all basically toasted old registries.

I'll look through Spybot also...but I am getting doubtful that this is ever going to resolve. I do appreciate your help though.

I have found the reason why you have accidentally overwritten your original damaged registry. "Method 4" implies that you execute the command lines in a chronological order and only once.

Now your system is almost in the same state like using the repair installation suggested by MisterW. Aren't there any registry backups in the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search&Destroy\Backups\

I have found the reason why you have accidentally overwritten your original damaged registry. "Method 4" implies that you execute the command lines in a chronological order and only once.

....it figures....don't take this the wrong way...I appreciate all you have tried to do and the time spent......the NTFS disk is also a quirky piece of shit. If you download the disk from the Avira site and boot to floppy in your Win 2000 machine, you will see what I mean. It does not go directly to the "yes" in reference to using for private use. It has a whole bunch of other stuff going on....prompts written in German......requiring what???...I don't know...it freezes....it asks over 20 bootup questions....all this is not mentioned by anyone...making me believe that no one actually looked at the disk from the download. When you try to change the directory, the original poster had a lot of mistakes in the coding......just the windows/winnt stuff was posted wrong......then we get to the A prompt and the difficulty in changing the directory in the first place. So, I probably did do something wrong........the original instructions posted were horrible...it implied that the user knows how to use dos commands....and again, the software is all f'ed up.

So, it figures that in the back-up folder of spybot nothing exists. I did get to the last folder by unchecking the boxes to see the hidden folders...nothing there.

We are both spending too much time on this......thank you for all you tried to do.

My feeling about Spybot have not changed.....nice hobbyist software for computer geeks who are into the computer as a hobby and as an educational "experience". I never should have used the software in the first place......freeware is not supported usually....it's a kid somewhere who writes some code and gets it onto the net. Spybot is a bit different because of their commercial enterprise, but the forum is not watched properly and the software is buggy to say the least.

This entire go around about going with a newer version is silly, stupid and childish. If I have working software that is continually updated...with no mention of upgrades in pop ups....why would i go out and try to get a newer version...which usually has a ton of bugs and problems and forums and questions and disasters?....I stay with what works.....v. 1.3 worked up until the update containing the malicious code......and it was malicious code, no matter what Pepi and the crew want to go with. For an update to toast a registry by removing a line that gets you into windows....that is malicious.

I am done....I will take my lumps and move on. The drive will be wiped clean and i will spend the hours necessary to get this going. No files are lost as I have access to the drive.....but Spybot you certainly Suck the big bannana!!

Chi-va...thanks for everything.....I really mean it.
    Last edited by walker; 2008-07-06 at 01:34.

I gonna get some sleep. It is really late over here. I hope you was able to find the registry backups. If not, whatever. Your system is at least running. Just install all the drivers, software and updates again. I know, it will take several hours again but at least you really have a good reason to be angry, spending over 48 hours with repairing the system.

Have a good night and at least a wonderful sunday!

P.S.: Wonderful, no backups.. Please don't forget to make a backup of your data before you wipe out the disk. I'm sorry that I wasn't helpful at all. In the next life we will just try it with unplugging the hard disk. It is much easier because you don't have to use command lines.