Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hellzlittlespy (great work guys)

Thanks.....I'm standing by hoping someone can help. I'm trying not be be an ass...le......but this is a big problem for me.....and I have not seen anything quite like this....ever.

By the way, I am working from the only working computer in my house. The situation is the same here.....Spybot v.1.3......the updater does not have any error messages or version update requests...and I have never gone into settings.....this is admin. controlled and no one has access to this one.....but as you agree, let's move on....and thanks for your help.

By the way...I just saw how you get into the "settings" of spybot v 1.3......believe me...I have never been in here before. If you like, I will answer any questions about what is checked and what is not checked.

Default Hellzlittlespy-UserInit issue

I went with method 2. All went well with download of offline registry tool.
    When I come to-- "On the next prompt choose "9" Registry editor" it changes pages and prompts "What to do" "Simple registry editor"

I enter: cd Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon--just like example.

It gives back: (...)\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    as though it can't read it.
    I have repeated 4 times.

Thanks for your help.

Should I start a new thread for this?

Default hellzlittlespy

I too got stuck on the log-on screen after removing HellzLittleSpy with Spy-bot. However formatting your hard-drive is like burning the village because a child caught a cold. Believe me, I've burned many villages. The first time I got stuck in the log-on screen I booted from my winXP cd and I reinstalled windows over my current windows directory then spent most of the day doing updates. Approx fix time 6.5 hours. Hovever by overwriting my existing windows directory I managed to save my desktop settings and all my installed programs still existed in windows.

Then I got really stupid, I ran Spybot again and 'fixed' my system which started the problem all over again. Luckily I have two computers on my desk and am able to look up information on the fly while one is down.

Thank you JOE for you link to page showing System restore from Recovery Console.Total fix time 45Min's. Including Internet search for the answer, and then only because I had to retype lines several times before I got the spacing correct. Line should be :
    copy(space)_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE(...

etc...

Fortunately I remember a little dos from the olden days.

Now the important question, do I have a key-logger in my system or not? Spy-bot says I do, my spyware says I don't.

Obviously I won't be checking my bank balance on-line anytime soon.

Ominious Knowes

Default This is ridiculous!

I have to agree with Walker. Thousands of people trust Spybot to keep them safe....NOT destroy their machines. Mine is also toast. Please quit arguing over whose fault this is....IT IS NOT OURS! I really can't afford to send my computer somewhere and have it fixed. Can we move on and find a way (if there is one) to fix this.

Default Hellz Little Spy

I recently had the same experiences with Hellz Little Spy. However, I was lucky enough to find the following site: http://www.icompute.info/System_restore_from_xp_cd.htm and it gave directions for doing a system restore from Recovery. I have Windows XP and this site worked well for me. Good Luck!
    However, I still can't get Spybot to stop telling me I have Hellz Little Spy and Cool Search.

Quote Originally Posted by dalach View Post
    I recently had the same experiences with Hellz Little Spy. However, I was lucky enough to find the following site: http://www.icompute.info/System_restore_from_xp_cd.htm and it gave directions for doing a system restore from Recovery. I have Windows XP and this site worked well for me. Good Luck!
    However, I still can't get Spybot to stop telling me I have Hellz Little Spy and Cool Search.
    .....anything for win 2000 pro?

Spybot managed to disable two XP computers at us, too.

We fixed them using BartPE. Followed the instructions from here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm

I think it is ridiculous that this can happen just because a user did not upgrade the software, only the definitions. I don't upgrade a software just because a new version is out. The definition ugrade process should sense the version of the software and download relevant definitions only.

The makers of Spybot should be very ashamed now.

Quote Originally Posted by edk-- View Post
    Spybot managed to disable two XP computers at us, too.

We fixed them using BartPE. Followed the instructions from here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm

I think it is ridiculous that this can happen just because a user did not upgrade the software, only the definitions. I don't upgrade a software just because a new version is out. The definition ugrade process should sense the version of the software and download relevant definitions only.

The makers of Spybot should be very ashamed now.
    In all the research you did...did you notice if Bart's will work on Win 2000 Professional? It seems it is only for XP....but I'm not sure...even though I have been reading now for about 30 hours!!!!! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ominious View Post
    I too got stuck on the log-on screen after removing HellzLittleSpy with Spy-bot. However formatting your hard-drive is like burning the village because a child caught a cold. Believe me, I've burned many villages. The first time I got stuck in the log-on screen I booted from my winXP cd and I reinstalled windows over my current windows directory then spent most of the day doing updates. Approx fix time 6.5 hours. Hovever by overwriting my existing windows directory I managed to save my desktop settings and all my installed programs still existed in windows.

Then I got really stupid, I ran Spybot again and 'fixed' my system which started the problem all over again. Luckily I have two computers on my desk and am able to look up information on the fly while one is down.

Thank you JOE for you link to page showing System restore from Recovery Console.Total fix time 45Min's. Including Internet search for the answer, and then only because I had to retype lines several times before I got the spacing correct. Line should be :
    copy(space)_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE(...

etc...

Fortunately I remember a little dos from the olden days.

Now the important question, do I have a key-logger in my system or not? Spy-bot says I do, my spyware says I don't.

Obviously I won't be checking my bank balance on-line anytime soon.

Ominious Knowes
    This solution also seems to be for XP.....any knowledge of a solution for 2000 Pro?

By the way, I also got away lucky the first time. I didn't know what the crash was about (didn't connect it to a recent exclusion of Hellzlittlespy)...and was able to build from a previous system state in Norton Systemworks. Unfortunately, after the second removal of "Hellz"...Norton crapped out. (GoBack was never a stable environment)