Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hellzlittlespy (great work guys)

I don't know if BartPE can fix a w2000 system. It won't hurt to try...

It probably can't be built on w2000, but you can download a burnable ISO with a t0rr3nt client: http://www.onlytorrents.com/torrent/...514c3b95081773

@edk--
    You can edit the Windows 2000 registry with BartPE. BartPE is a standalone operating system and if your system fits the minimum hardware requirements(e.g. 160MB RAM) you should be able to boot with BartPE. It is correct that you cannot build a PE system with Windows 2000 because this system is not supported. So downloading a ready iso file could be a solution.

@walker
    It is really hard to follow your posts in order to collect the necessary information. I assume you are very desperate and that you need help. As written, it is neccessary to gain some data first. So please answer the questions even if you have already given the information in some of your posts.

1. Which operating system do you use? Windows 2000 Professional?
    2. You have a working Windows 2000 system available, correct?
    3. Do you have ever used the Bios settings?
    4. Do you have ever plugged a hard disk yourself?
    5. Which file systems are used in the damaged computers? NTFS or FAT?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

Depending from your experiences it should be enough to have one working system in order to repair the other systems.

By the way, I have an old Windows 2000 Professional system here as well. If necessary I could try to fix Hellzlittlespy with Spybot 1.3 as well so that I can try some solutions myself.

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    @edk--
    You can edit the Windows 2000 registry with BartPE. BartPE is a standalone operating system and if your system fits the minimum hardware requirements(e.g. 160MB RAM) you should be able to boot with BartPE. It is correct that you cannot build a PE system with Windows 2000 because this system is not supported. So downloading a ready iso file could be a solution.

@walker
    It is really hard to follow your posts in order to collect the necessary information. I assume you are very desperate and that you need help. As written, it is neccessary to gain some data first. So please answer the questions even if you have already given the information in some of your posts.

1. Which operating system do you use? Windows 2000 Professional?
    2. You have a working Windows 2000 system available, correct?
    3. Do you have ever used the Bios settings?
    4. Do you have ever plugged a hard disk yourself?
    5. Which file systems are used in the damaged computers? NTFS or FAT?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

Depending from your experiences it should be enough to have one working system in order to repair the other systems.

By the way, I have an old Windows 2000 Professional system here as well. If necessary I could try to fix Hellzlittlespy with Spybot 1.3 as well so that I can try some solutions myself.
    Thanks.....

1. Yes, Win 2000 Pro (all damaged systems the same)
    2. Yes, working system available
    3. Yes, I know how to get into Bios and change all the avail. settings
    4. Yes, I know how to plug in a hard disk
    5. Everything is NTFS

From all of this, if possible, I think the solution is to take out a bad drive and install as a secondary in the good machine....boot to the good drive. If you can tell me where the missing file came from (I know it comes from the registry/hive , etc.)...the exact folder in Win 2000 Pro, maybe I could just replace the missing line, by opening the folder and manually inserting it? I'm not sure if this is possible, as I am not at the top of this field.

Thanks again for any help.....

Correct, this is what I'm thinking. Unplug the damaged hard disk, change the jumper from master to slave and plug it in the working system.

Shame2 has already posted the same idea here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30030&page=9

As Shame2 has experienced it you should be careful. This is the reason why I'm asking the questions.

Here is a link with some screenshots with instructions how you should edit the registry:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm

I know it is for Windows PE but it is similar to what you need to do. Please read the steps from 2 - 9 and ask the questions now if you don't understand a step. We will try to clarify all questions before starting the repair procedure.

Of course, it shouldn't be

C:\WINNT\system32\config\SOFTWARE

in step 3 and 8 in your case because you want to edit the damaged drive. So look for the new assigned drive letter after plugging in the damaged drive and confirm that it is the correct hive which you want to edit.
    Last edited by chi-va; 2008-07-04 at 12:37. Reason: Grammar error.

@walker
    Still there? Please don't start the procedure before clarifying if there are any questions. It is obvious that you haven't sleep a lot in the last hours and so it is possible that you mistake the drive letters in some places.

By regarding step 8 you probably won't find the "Userinit" entry because this one is completely missing after the problem with the old Spybot version.

Then go to 'Edit>create new value'.
    Type Userinit in the 'Name' field and make sure REG_SZ is in the 'Type' field.
    Click OK and the String Editor box will open. Type or paste the path to userinit.exe in the field:
    C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe, <-XP AND don't forget the comma at the end!
    C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe, <-Win2000 AND don't forget the comma at the end!
    (quoted from shame2, thanks!)

"C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe," only C: if C: was the drive letter as well in the damaged system. So be aware because this is different from step 3 where you only locate the damaged hive.

Retired

I don't think that it is really necessary to plug in the bad drive into another working computer. I am currently testing an alternative for walker and I think he should wait until we are finished with our tests... I think he could save a lot of time by waiting for our testresults instead of trying your solution...
    Last edited by MisterW; 2008-07-04 at 13:33.

I agree. If you have already finished a simple small boot disk which change the registry automatically, walker and everyone else with this problem should prefer the software solution.

Retired

Walker,
    There are two solutions for your problem. The first one you can find here by "Method 4":
    http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=14

and the second one is described below. Please decide by yourself which variant is best for you:

An easy way to solve the problem is to use the repair installation function on your windows 2000 installation disk (you need a valid Windows 2000 key):

1. Insert the installation disk into your cd/dvd drive

2. Make sure that the boot sequence in the bios is set to "boot from cd first"

3. Start your computer and you will see the dialog "press any key to boot from cd..." please do so

4. Your computer will load a lot of stuff. When he is finished you have to choose
    "To set up Windows 2000 now, press ENTER" (in the following steps you will get the possibility to repair your current windows automatically)

5. In the next step you have to confirm the Licensing Agreement by pressing "F8"

6. The computer should search for versions of Win2000 already installed on the computer. Afterwards you can choose to repair the old Windows 2000 on your system by pressing "r"

Then Windows will copy all necessary system files to your computer. Additionally it will replace all necessary registry keys and when the installation is finished you can login to the computer.

Attention: Maybe not all third-party software installed on your system will work without problems. Perhaps you have to reinstall some of these software. But all your files located on the harddisk should be available again.
    Last edited by MisterW; 2008-07-04 at 14:13.

Default Hellzlittlespy - What Now???

I have an XP laptop & a Vista laptop. The XP I've shut down & restarted....it's toast! The Vista also had the update but I've not shut it down since the update so is that why I'm still here? I'm afraid to breathe wrong on my Vista since it's my only window to the world right now. I'm not as technically savvy as some on here so I'm not comfortable trying to fix this on the fly. Can I do a system restore on this machine (Vista) and live through it??? Any hope yet for the XP???

SlmJon: Regarding your XP box, see my earlier posts in this thread.