Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Windows loop

Default Stuck in Windows loop

Using my laptop - Windows XP Home Edition. Was working fine, as always. Had a couple of registry changes windows, for Macromedia - allowed them. Ran SpyBot, allowing a restore point first, and after updating it on 7/2/08. After SpyBot found some problems and I allowed them to be removed, I rebooted.

Now, Windows won't let me in.

I get the window to select my name or a guest, and my computer previously
    wasn't set up that way - it used to load and go right to my desktop.
    Selecting either shows settings loading, then a quick screen flash, briefly
    showing the desktop, then right back to that selection window, showing the
    settings are being saved, then the two choices again - me or a guest.

At the bottom left is the option that gives the three choices. I've done the
    restart and the shut down, twice each. Same result. I've unplugged, and removed the battery and let it sit for a while.

Started in safe mode, several times, using different choices. Each time, it
    gets me to that same choices windows - administrator or me, now, and smaller - with the same flashing result and back to the same window.

Two other people on a Windows bb reported the same problem yesterday, one who also ran SpyBot just before the problem occurred. Don't know about the other person yet.

I've used SpyBot Search and Destroy for years, on both this laptop and my
    desktop PC, with no problem. Right now, am on my fiance's computer, but I
    have a lot of "stuff" on the laptop I need to get to.

HELP!!! Any suggestions?

Thanks - Joanne

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Joanne:

I'm sorry that you are having problems. If you were running either Spybot 1.3 or Spybot 1.4 and did a fix on a detection for HellzLittleSpy, a registry entry would have been changed that causes you to be logged off immediately after you log on.

For methods to fix the problem caused by fixing the HellzLittleSpy detection in either Spybot 1.3 or Spybot 1.4, see this blog entry:
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-07-03 at 18:45.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I've been having the same problem, which Joanne and I have been discussing on a Microsoft thread as well. I'm here at work on my day off, downloading to disk some of the programs you've recommended, and I sincererly hope they fix my home computer. WHEN that happens, a huge question: What happens about running Spybot after we're back on-line? Should we delete the software and start over with the latest version? My husband usually runs our spyware programs, and I thought he had all the latest installed. Is the infected version the latest?

I'm not exactly technologically advanced, but your instructions seem straightforward. I believe I've downloaded the software for Method #2 correctly, and will try that later.

Another question: On Bart's additional help links, he gave some free registry cleaning programs. What is the safety of using registry cleaners? (And this is a registry issue, if I'm understanding it correctly, yes?)

Thanks for the advice. Luck to us all,

Mopeyone (new poster)

None of the many fixes referenced worked. I went out and bought the program that someone else had posted about here, before his post was deleted. It was also suggested on another post referenced elsewhere at this site. It may have been a blog.

Fix-It Utilities 8.0. $40, Staples had it with a $10 rebate. Great program! It restored to a previous point. All is well. I was VERY concerned before, and not happy with SpyBot, as it seems this problem was already reported on this forum.

Whew!

Not sure if I should trust SpyBot again. Am wary now of updating it. :(

- Joanne

Default Glad Fix It Worked !

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    None of the many fixes referenced worked. I went out and bought the program that someone else had posted about here, before his post was deleted. It was also suggested on another post referenced elsewhere at this site. It may have been a blog.

Fix-It Utilities 8.0. $40, Staples had it with a $10 rebate. Great program! It restored to a previous point. All is well. I was VERY concerned before, and not happy with SpyBot, as it seems this problem was already reported on this forum.

Whew!

Not sure if I should trust SpyBot again. Am wary now of updating it. :(

- Joanne
    Joanne,

Glad my post helped re: Fix It and resolving the Hellz nightmare!

HP_XP_User

On the Microsoft board, there are a lot of people with this same frustrating problem.

I can't get Fix-It Utilities to run on my system. Don't know if I bought a bad disk, or my system is so screwed it won't let it run. Now I'm waiting for Avanquest support to give me options. I am incredibly frustrated right now. My holiday weekend is ruined....

Joanne, I assume when you used Fix-It it loaded fairly quickly and did it thing? It is doing nothing more for me than quickly showing the Fix-It helicopter logo, then seeming to run until it stalls on a black screen. Sigh...

Mopeyone

Wow, mopey - that's terrible. Lynn (fiance) did it for me, while I watched over his shoulder. He booted up with the disk in, then followed directions. One option was to choose a restore point, which he did, to just before I ran SpyBot. Hope you figure it out!

- Joanne

Default Can't Get Fix It to run

Quote Originally Posted by Mopeyone View Post
    I can't get Fix-It Utilities to run on my system. Don't know if I bought a bad disk, or my system is so screwed it won't let it run. Now I'm waiting for Avanquest support to give me options. I am incredibly frustrated right now. My holiday weekend is ruined....

Joanne, I assume when you used Fix-It it loaded fairly quickly and did it thing? It is doing nothing more for me than quickly showing the Fix-It helicopter logo, then seeming to run until it stalls on a black screen. Sigh...

Mopeyone

Mopeyone,

This is HP_XP_User, the one who has posted about Fix It.

I am assuming you bought the product from a store and did not get an online version. The product works on XP, and Vista

The actual cd is an emergency Bootable Rescue Disk.

When you first load the cd and it boots, the first thing it does is a general scan to analyze your hard drive before
    displaying the Rescue Wizard. So it does not really start to do its thing right away.

Are you letting it run its full course?

After that scan, the Rescue Wizard comes up, helicopter logo, with 3 options, Recovery Commander, and two others which you don't need right now.

See my other posts about which option to choose under the main category of Recovery Commander (Restore a System CheckPoint).

Also, if for any reason, you do not see the Rescue Disk option block, in the very bottom lower left corner, where it says Avanquest and a logo, click that logo and name and like the Windows Start menu, a selection of options will pop up, one being Recovery Commander, Rescue Disk Wizard.

Hope this helps

HP_XP_User

Default Hellzlittlespy - What Now???

Hey Guys,

I'm still stuck too. My XP is toast & I guess I'm gonna try to buy the Fix-It software. My Vista machine (I'm on it now) went through the same install with Spybot but I haven't shut it down in a few days so I'm still alive. What do I do to this machine before it dies, too? Will a system restore work?