Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Windows loop

Default I'm still stuck too

Quote Originally Posted by SlmJon View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm still stuck too. My XP is toast & I guess I'm gonna try to buy the Fix-It software. My Vista machine (I'm on it now) went through the same install with Spybot but I haven't shut it down in a few days so I'm still alive. What do I do to this machine before it dies, too? Will a system restore work?
    SlmJon,

See my post just above yours, regarding Fix It.

You will have to reboot the pc with the cd in the drive, for it to work. Make sure you change any Bios/BootUp settings prior to shutting down, you need the pc to boot from the cd rather than the hard drive. If you don't then you most likely get that Logon-Logoff loop.

I realize you are concerned but thats the way it works. Now if Vista creates restore points, you should be OK. I do not use nor intend to use Vista, so I really do not know if this will work 100% on Vista, on XP it works like a charm.

Good Luck, hope it works, let me know, let others know if it works.

HP_XP_User

Hey Guys,

I'm still stuck too. My XP is toast & I guess I'm gonna try to buy the Fix-It software. My Vista machine (I'm on it now) went through the same install with Spybot but I haven't shut it down in a few days so I'm still alive. What do I do to this machine before it dies, too? Will a system restore work?
    System restore worked for me, using Fix-It. On your Vista machine, do a restore before the last SpyBot before shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopeyone View Post
    I can't get Fix-It Utilities to run on my system. Don't know if I bought a bad disk, or my system is so screwed it won't let it run. Now I'm waiting for Avanquest support to give me options. I am incredibly frustrated right now. My holiday weekend is ruined....

Joanne, I assume when you used Fix-It it loaded fairly quickly and did it thing? It is doing nothing more for me than quickly showing the Fix-It helicopter logo, then seeming to run until it stalls on a black screen. Sigh...

Mopeyone
    Mopeyone -

If you're still having problems: Lynn said your computer may be set up to NOT access the CD first. If that's the problem getting Fix-It to work for you, you have to go into BIOS and change that. He said to get there, it's different on all machines. May be hitting F2 or F12 or F1 when rebooting.

@SlmJon

If the restore point is not damaged then you can fix this problem with the restore point as well. I don't understand the benefit for you using the software Fix It because you have the Windows XP CD, don't you?

Here is an instruction for using the Windows recovery console:
    http://www.housing.hawaii.edu/resour...tore-point.htm

Before you can boot from CD it maybe necessary to change the BIOS settings. Here are some examples how you can do this:
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

Do you have fixed HellzLittleSpy with Spybot 1.3 in your Vista system as well or do you have used another version. Please don't turn off your Vista system yet. It should be easy to confirm if it is corrupted or not.

Huz-zah!! I'm IN!! Joanne, thanks to you an Lynn for sticking with me and offering suggestions. I had figured out to change my BIOS to accept a CD boot, but that was about the extent of my (NOT) grand computer technology knowledge.

All - I actually got in using Method #2 from the Spybot solutions. I don't even know if I got it all right - I just kept entering the commands they posted, in an order as suggested when prompts were presented. I rebooted and held my breath - IN! Sigh.... now the cleanup.

HP_EX_User - I used the Fix-It disk as suggested as a boot disk, but it didn't seem to be working. It would load up, but I'd get a quick flash of the helicopter logo saying something like "wait while loading" then my CD would sound like it was working, then quit and I'd be left with a black screen forever. I mean, how fast did everyone else's Fix-It go to a prompt screen? Even though I waited a long time, I never got any choices. That's why I tried the Spybot system, and thank goodness it worked for me. I'm gonna try to load Fix-It now that my ssytem is up and use it to help clean up my system after this fiasco. Thanks for being there to offer a solution.

Now, some questions for the Spybot team: I did check my Spotbot version, and somehow we'd never updated past version 1.3, although my husband does twice a week updates. I know when Adaware did a major program update, they sent a very clear message to their users to "update now". Can ya'll be little more clear when an update is available? I know it is up to the user to maintain their software, but your program is used by a lot of people like me who are not technologically advanced. A little handholding goes a long way.....

Also - what should I do now about my system? I am afraid to shutdown without majorly cleaning my system up. Did the Method #2 system reboot clear my system of that registry issue for good? Or is it still lurking somewhere? Also, can I safely uninstall my current (old) Spybot program without screwing up anything else?? And does the newest Spybot version (1.5 I believe??) contain any issues of its own?

Any and all advice with recovering from this welcome!!! Good luck everyone - I have felt - and continue to feel - your pain.

Thanks again Joanne and HP_Ex_User!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mopeyone

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

SlmJon:

Hey Guys,

I did think Vista would be a problem because I didn't believe the versions of Spybot involved involved in the problem ran properly under Vista.

Please note: I don't run Vista so the following instructions/suggestions are for a Windows XP system:

What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy are you running (Spybot » Help » About) on the Vista system?

If you were running either Spybot 1.3 or Spybot 1.4 and did a fix on a detection for HellzLittleSpy a registry entry would have been changed that causes you to be logged off immediately after you log on.

If you are running an old version, delected HellzLittleSpy and did a fix, I suggest that you do not attempt a system restore. I suggest that you attempt a recovery through Spybot. Go into Spybot » Recovery, highlight the entry for HellzLittleSpy and do a "Recover selected items".

Then verify that the following registry entry exists. On Windows XP the normal entry is looks like this from a registry export:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    "Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"
    Or like this in Registry Editor (regedit.exe):

Code:
    Userinit REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    Where:
    • Name: Userinit
    • Type: REG_SZ
    • Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Mopeyone - so glad you're okay! Whew, right??

We tried that #2 suggested solution, very carefully, several times. Didn't work for us. At one point, we didn't get the choices it said we would. Tried workarounds, but nothing worked. Lynn's very computer savvy (builds his own, since the 80s), but after looking at, and trying, all suggestions from several sources, we gave up and had to use Fix-It. For us, it loaded right away. Maybe you got a bad disk?

Thanks to others here who have stuck with us. Now, what do we do about SpyBot? Do we have to uninstall the old version before downloading the new? And how come we didn't know there was a newer version? When we selected the update, shouldn't that have taken us to a place to download the newer version?

Thanks - Joanne

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Mopeyone - so glad you're okay! Whew, right??

We tried that #2 suggested solution, very carefully, several times. Didn't work for us. At one point, we didn't get the choices it said we would. Tried workarounds, but nothing worked. Lynn's very computer savvy (builds his own, since the 80s), but after looking at, and trying, all suggestions from several sources, we gave up and had to use Fix-It. For us, it loaded right away. Maybe you got a bad disk?

Thanks to others here who have stuck with us. Now, what do we do about SpyBot? Do we have to uninstall the old version before downloading the new? And how come we didn't know there was a newer version? When we selected the update, shouldn't that have taken us to a place to download the newer version?

Thanks - Joanne
    Note this post Pepi.....not everyone is against you...people just tell the truth sometimes.....maybe you need a visit to a Cardiologist after all!!
    "Toasted by hellzlittlespy born in Brasil living in America"

Default Vista's Still OK?!?!?!

I did a program update on both machines before I ran S&D. After shutting down the XP & booting the next morning is went everything went south on it. The Vista machine hasn't been turned off since the update so I haven't rebooted. Everything is running OK for now. I'm afraid to turn it off.

I'm not sure what version of Spybot (should have been the latest since I did the update on Monday). I uninstalled Spybot last night.

I looked in the Vista comparable folders & couldn't find anything close to what you said.

Should I try a system restore?

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    SlmJon:

I did think Vista would be a problem because I didn't believe the versions of Spybot involved involved in the problem ran properly under Vista.

Please note: I don't run Vista so the following instructions/suggestions are for a Windows XP system:

What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy are you running (Spybot » Help » About) on the Vista system?

If you were running either Spybot 1.3 or Spybot 1.4 and did a fix on a detection for HellzLittleSpy a registry entry would have been changed that causes you to be logged off immediately after you log on.

If you are running an old version, delected HellzLittleSpy and did a fix, I suggest that you do not attempt a system restore. I suggest that you attempt a recovery through Spybot. Go into Spybot » Recovery, highlight the entry for HellzLittleSpy and do a "Recover selected items".

Then verify that the following registry entry exists. On Windows XP the normal entry is looks like this from a registry export:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    "Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"
    Or like this in Registry Editor (regedit.exe):

Code:
    Userinit REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    Where:
    • Name: Userinit
    • Type: REG_SZ
    • Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Joanne:

... Now, what do we do about SpyBot? Do we have to uninstall the old version before downloading the new? ...
    I personally recommend it. What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy are you running (Spybot » Help » About)?

... And how come we didn't know there was a newer version? ...
    As I understand/remember it (but I could be wrong with the dates/details):
    • Spybot 1.2 did not offer detection file updates after 2004-03-04.
    • Spybot 1.3 (released officially 2004-05-12) continues to receive detection file updates but did not offer upgrades to Spybot 1.4 because it was not built into the Spybot 1.3 program to recognize them.
    • Spybot 1.4 (released 2005-06-01) offered upgrades to Spybot 1.5 shortly after Spybot 1.5 was released on 2008-01-31 as:
      • Main update 1.5.2 - !Main application update, release 3 (284 KB) - 2008-01-31
    • Spybot 1.5 (released 2008-01-31).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.