Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Windows loop

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SlmJon View Post
    ... I'm not sure what version of Spybot (should have been the latest since I did the update on Monday). I uninstalled Spybot last night. ...
    Look in the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log and find out.

By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log files produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

If you did a "Fix selected problems" than look in the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log. If not there shouldn't be a problem.
    The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folder:
    • Windows Vista:
      C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs

I looked in the Vista comparable folders & couldn't find anything close to what you said.
    Please explain. I listed registry entries not folders.

Should I try a system restore?
    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    If you are running an old version, delected HellzLittleSpy and did a fix, I suggest that you do not attempt a system restore.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Look in the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log and find out.

By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log files produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

If you did a "Fix selected problems" than look in the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log. If not there shouldn't be a problem.
    The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folder:
    • Windows Vista:
      C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs

The checks log & the fixes log are both dated Jul 02 2008

Please explain. I listed registry entries not folders.
    There was no winlogon (Would it be called that in Vista??)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

SlmJon:

Please post the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log so that I see what version of Spybot you were running an what was fixed.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    @SlmJon

If the restore point is not damaged then you can fix this problem with the restore point as well. I don't understand the benefit for you using the software Fix It because you have the Windows XP CD, don't you?

Here is an instruction for using the Windows recovery console:
    http://www.housing.hawaii.edu/resour...tore-point.htm

Before you can boot from CD it maybe necessary to change the BIOS settings. Here are some examples how you can do this:
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

Do you have fixed HellzLittleSpy with Spybot 1.3 in your Vista system as well or do you have used another version. Please don't turn off your Vista system yet. It should be easy to confirm if it is corrupted or not.
    I srewed up. I was following the instructions in:

http://www.housing.hawaii.edu/resour...tore-point.htm

Got as far as:

2. Change directory to the configuration folder to the c:\windows\system32\config folder. type: cd system32\config

3. If you have backed up the current registry you may skip this. Otherwise backup the current configuration by renaming 5 registry files. Type in the following commands (no particular order):

type: rename default default.bak
    type: rename sam sam.bak
    type: rename system system.bak
    type: rename software software.bak
    type: rename security security.bak

This will backup the current registry settings.

4. Switch to the repair folder.
    type: cd\

Everytime i typed cd\ i got message like command not recognized so i typed exit to get out. I now realize that i should have had a space between cd and \ i.e. cd \

The problem now is when i went back in to do it right. I boot up to the CD enter 1 to get to the windows installation. Then it asks for administrator password. Before there was none and i would just hit enter and could continue what i was trying to do.......NOW after performing the above changes:
    type: rename default default.bak
    type: rename sam sam.bak
    type: rename system system.bak
    type: rename software software.bak
    type: rename security security.bak

The computer is asking for a Adm. password and just hitting enter is not working, it continues to ask for a password......I'm screwed if i can't get inside to fix things..What could be the password now....HELP

Default I Am SOOOOO Confused Now!

Thanks, guys, for the responses. I've read so much on here & at the MS website that I'm totally confused & out of my element.

I tried the "Method 2".....didn't work.

I went out & bought Fix-It Utilities. It says I don't have any Windows partitions to work with. I know they're there somewhere cause I'm still in the logon loop (it knows my name, my computer name, shows my desktop---albeit briefly).

I really need the stuff on this computer but I'm at a loss!! I think my brain is finally pickled over all this!

Can anyone tell me something to do?????

@rvnmaniac

It needs a password because you have change the current registry. Now the recovery console try to load a default registry which needs a password that no one knows.

In this case, we have to use another tool. Please take a look here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=14

We'll need "Method 4" now. Please download the neccessary software and burn them on a CD. In the meantime, I will change the steps for you and post them here.(to be continued)

@all
    Be aware, these instructions from me are only for rvnmaniac. General instructions are mentioned in the blog from yodama.

@SlmJon
    Did you tried to repair your Windows XP system? How far have you come with "Method 2". Any error messages? I will stay here a few hours so that we can go through this step by step if neccessary.

@rvnmaniac

You are using Windows XP, right?

When I boot to the CD, it goes through it's initial stuff then stops asking for "select partition by number". The above "list" says:
    Disks:
    Disk /dev/sda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes

Candidate Windows partitions found:

Then there's nothing there....the next thing is "Please select...."

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    @SlmJon
    Did you tried to repair your Windows XP system? How far have you come with "Method 2". Any error messages? I will stay here a few hours so that we can go through this step by step if neccessary.

@rvnmaniac

Method 4:

This Method can be used in conjunction with Method 2 to restore login. The main issue with Method 2 is that it does not work if the NTFS file system is flagged as "dirty". Method 4 will remove this:
    This option is valid for both Windows 2000 and Windows XP, only paths differ on both systems.

Requirements:

* NTFS capable boot disk like NTFS4Dos
    * Offline Rcovery tool from Method 2
    * both tools can be found on the Ultimate Boot CD: Filesystem tools - NTFS Tools

Overview of steps:

1. Start NTFS4Dos
    2. Copy and Backup of Software registry key (note: it is possible to end here)
    3. reboot and shut down properly
    4. restore latest Software registry key
    5. reboot directly to bootcd and apply method 2

Detailed description:

1. Start NTFS4Dos
    If you start NTFS4Dos from the Ultimate BootCD (~115 MB download will require CD) you will find it in Filesystem Tools - NTFS Tools
    Once started you will be required to enter "yes" to confirm that you use it for personal use only.

NTFS4Dos is owned by Avira and can also be downloaded from Aviras (~1.2 MB download, will require floppy disk)website.

2. Copy and Backup of Software registry key
    What you need to do here is to backup the current software registry key and copy the backup software registry key.
    Enter the lines in code according to your OS.
    Just follow the above steps and then we have to change something because you already have made the backups.

Windows XP:
    Code:
    cd c:\Winnt\system32\config                     (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\software software   (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\default default        (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\sam sam                (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\system system        (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\software software    (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\security security      (enter)
    The above commands should copy the default registry from the day you have installed your Windows in the current registry. After that you should be able to boot in Windows safe mode again. From there you can either use the Windows restore point feature or proceed with editing the damage registry manually. If you want to use the second way then please tell me so that I can guide you if you like.