Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Windows loop

@SlmJon

So this was displayed:
    Disk /dev/sda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    Have you then entered "1" and confirmed it with (enter)?

After that, "Step 2" should be displayed with the default directory:
    Code:
    [Windows/system32/config]
    If yes, just hit the "enter" key.

Or wasn't there a default directory? Has it change to "Step 2" after finishing "Step 1"?

Yes, that's what was displayed. There wasn't a "1" to select but I did enter "1" anyway. It just comes back like I didn't enter anything.

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    @SlmJon

So this was displayed:

Have you then entered "1" and confirmed it with (enter)?

After that, "Step 2" should be displayed with the default directory:
    Code:
    [Windows/system32/config]
    If yes, just hit the "enter" key.

Or wasn't there a default directory? Has it change to "Step 2" after finishing "Step 1"?

@SlmJon

This is bad. So this:

Candidate Windows partitions found:
    was empty, right? This means that the boot sector couldn't be found and you won't be able to use this method as well. Please tell me what you have done until now because I need to know what could have damage the boot sector. Are you sure that you can still boot Windows except of the login?

Yes, it's empty.

I'm guessing Windows is still there because it will boot to login then logout. If I leave it sitting at the login screen it goes to the screensaver. If I leave it too long on the DOS screen, it also goes to screensaver. Windows must be doing something?????

What I've done is:

Tried to run this #2:
    Somewhere in the instructions, it said to change the boot order to use the CD. I had been using F12 to pick boot from CD. I went into setup and changed the boot order to CD first. That was OK except it warned that changing the order might change the drive letters so I changed it back & continued using F12 to boot from CD.

I tried to use Fix-It Utilities:
    Booted from CD, the opening screen came up & I chose Recovery Commander. It came up with an empty directory, telling me to choose which Windows partition I wanted to use. There were none to choose.

That's all I've done. I can't get anywhere to try anything else.

I haven't started planning suicide yet since the login screen, desktop picture, screensaver seem to be working. They're controlled by Windows, right??

@SlmJon

This is bad. So this:

was empty, right? This means that the boot sector couldn't be found and you won't be able to use this method as well. Please tell me what you have done until now because I need to know what could have damage the boot sector. Are you sure that you can still boot Windows except of the login?

Yes, Windows seems to be still there. Could it be possible that you use a Dell Computer? Anyway, if it cannot find the boot sector we won't be able to proceed with "Method 2" but we can still use "Method 4".

You have downloaded the ultimate boot CD, right? Before we are going on you should try the tool "File Maven" from the CD(File tools) in order to check if your files are still there. If you have the necessary cable you can also make a backup of your files. Are the files there? If yes, just exit "File Maven" if you don't have the cable for the backup. Tell me then you are ready to go on with "Method 4".

Yes, It's a Dell Inspiron 8600 running XP.

I think the program I downloaded is called Windows Registry Edit Utility Floppy. It was from the thread that had Method 1, Method2, etc. Is that the Ultimate Boot CD?

Yes, Windows seems to be still there. Could it be possible that you use a Dell Computer? Anyway, if it cannot find the boot sector we won't be able to proceed with "Method 2" but we can still use "Method 4".

You have downloaded the ultimate boot CD, right? Before we are going on you should try the tool "File Maven" from the CD(File tools) in order to check if your files are still there. If you have the necessary cable you can also make a backup of your files. Are the files there? If yes, just exit "File Maven" if you don't have the cable for the backup. Tell me then you are ready to go on with "Method 4".

No. It was a small download file and the ultimat boot cd has a file size about 115 MB. Do you want to download the boot CD and burn it? Here is the download link:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_d4019.html

It is not really necessary for "Method 4" because you can also only download NTFS4Dos from here:
    http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/11/a..._personal.html

It would be good to have it in order to make backups.

By the way, there are other methods with user interface(knoppix) where you can connect your damage system to the network and then make a backup. Or we can just proceed with NTFS4Dos. Just tell me what you want to do.

Ok, you're saying I don't need the Ultimate Boot CD - just the NTFS4Dos???

Also, I'm confused about what you're saying about the backup. My network isn't recognizing the Inspiron.

No. It was a small download file and the ultimat boot cd has a file size about 115 MB. Do you want to download the boot CD and burn it? Here is the download link:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_d4019.html

It is not really necessary for "Method 4" because you can also only download NTFS4Dos from here:
    http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/11/a..._personal.html

It would be good to have it in order to make backups.

By the way, there are other methods with user interface(knoppix) where you can connect your damage system to the network and then make a backup. Or we can just proceed with NTFS4Dos. Just tell me what you want to do.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

SlmJon:
    chi-va:

There are some details missing the chronology of fix attempts. There was this post in:

Quote Originally Posted by SlmJon View Post
    Thanks for the input. I tried the blog suggestions. Method 1 requires that the "dead" XP computer shows up on the network. It doesn't since I can't log in. Method 2 went OK until it got to "registry path"...then the program hung & would go no further. After quitting & restarting a couple of times, then it said it couldn't find a HD that had a Windows OS. That scared me enough that I stopped and have done nothing further. …
    I believe that may be relivent to the problem that now exits.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

@rvnmaniac

You are using Windows XP, right?
    Yes Windows XP