Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Windows loop

I'm sorry. It was a little bit confusing. If I understand it correctly from the blog then you should be able to boot with "NTFS4Dos" only. I cannot confirm it because I am using "NTFS4Dos" only in my Ultimate Boot CD. If you have to time I would suggest to download the Ultimate Boot CD.

Sorry, guess I forgot about that. It hasn't said that but the once. I had to scroll back up to see that message. It went on to the "Select partition" & that's as far as I could go.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    SlmJon:
    chi-va:

There are some details missing the chronology of fix attempts. There was this post in:

I believe that may be relivent to the problem that now exits.

I'll download it now. I'll get back.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    I'm sorry. It was a little bit confusing. If I understand it correctly from the blog then you should be able to boot with "NTFS4Dos" only. I cannot confirm it because I am using "NTFS4Dos" only in my Ultimate Boot CD. If you have to time I would suggest to download the Ultimate Boot CD.

@md usa spybot fan
    The problem is that whether "Fix it" nor "ntpasswd" is able to detect his boot sector. Without this detail he won't be able to proceed "Method 2". As long as Windows is booting it won't be necessary to use "Method 2" because our first goal is to get it to boot in safe mode and pass the login screen. Apart from that, it would be too confusing if he has to repair the boot sector as well. We are going to use a similar method like in walker's case.

@rvnmaniac
    Do you already have downloaded the Ultimate Boot CD? If yes, please proceed with "Method 4". There was already a post from me for you.

@SlmJon
    No problem. I'm going to take a shower. I'll be back in a few minutes.
    Last edited by chi-va; 2008-07-05 at 18:40. Reason: spelling mistake

@rvnmaniac
    Do you already have downloaded the Ultimate Boot CD? If yes, please proceed with "Method 4". There was already a post from me for you.

I"m downloading the UBCD411

I'm still trying to get a CD to burn correctly. For whatever reason, it worked on it for nearly 10 min then said it failed. Give me another minute or so.

OK...I think I'm here.

No....I'm not.

I downloaded from the link & got ubcd411.exe. I unzipped it to a folder & got ubcd411.iso. If that's right something else must wrong with my computer. It won't boot from this CD.

@SlmJon
    Here is the instruction for you.
    Detailed description:

1. Start NTFS4Dos
    If you start NTFS4Dos from the Ultimate BootCD (~115 MB download will require CD) you will find it in Filesystem Tools - NTFS Tools
    Once started you will be required to enter "yes" to confirm that you use it for personal use only.

NTFS4Dos is owned by Avira and can also be downloaded from Aviras (~1.2 MB download, will require floppy disk)website.

2. Copy and Backup of Software registry key
    What you need to do here is to backup the current software registry key and copy the backup software registry key.
    Enter the lines in code according to your OS.

Windows XP:
    Code:
    cd c:\Windows\system32\config
    This will "open" the directory.

Code:
    rename software software.bak
    (enter)
    Rename the file in order to protect your old registry.

Code:
    dir
    (enter)
    Check if there is actually a file called "software.bak". The command above should show you all the files in the directory. If not repeat the rename command line again.

Code:
    copy c:\Windows\repair\software software
    (enter)
    This will copy the default registry file in your current registry.

3. reboot and shut down properly
    At this point it is possible to get a proper login for Windows again. But since the Software key has been replaced by an old version most software is not properly registered anymore. If the latter does not matter to you, you may stop here otherwise follow the next steps.
    You will need to properly shut down Windows, to make sure that the dirty flag is not set again. A safe way to ensure this, is to boot into safe mode twice and shut down using Windows functions namely "restart".
    Just follow it until step 3 included. After that you should be able to boot in Windows safe mode. There you should use the Windows restore point and select a restore point which is NOT created by Spybot. If there are working restore points available we don't need to manually edit the registry anymore.

OK... I didn't go far enough in burning it. Give me a sec

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    @SlmJon
    Here is the instruction for you.

Just follow it until step 3 included. After that you should be able to boot in Windows safe mode. There you should use the Windows restore point and select a restore point which is NOT created by Spybot. If there are working restore points available we don't need to manually edit the registry anymore.