Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, Release Candidate 2

What's the deal with spybotsd_includes.exe? What is in that file and why does it have to be downloaded during installation? Can't whatever is in there be bundled into the installer so it can be a true stand-alone install package?

The reason I ask is that I saw a problem with the RC2 installation relating to this file. I don't know if it's a true "bug" or not though.

On an XP SP3 system, I was watching the install and it got to the point where it wanted to download spybotsd_includes.exe. But something went wrong (I don't know what) and it didn't download. The download progress bar never even started. The panel appeared, hung around for a few seconds, and then disappeared without having downloaded the file.

Now since this file is obviously needed for the installation, I would have expected the installer to abort at this point - but it didn't. It just kept going until a command prompt window suddenly opened and the install froze.

I did take a screenshot, but unfortunately the clipboard got flushed before I saved it. From what I recall, the DOS window title referenced a subdirectory under my %TEMP% directory and a file name like SPYBOT~1.EXE. I also recall a flashing cursor rapidly jumping around between various locations all throughout that DOS window. During this time, the main installer panel was open in the backgroud.

I waited about 5 minutes to see if anything would happen, but then finally just manually closed the DOS window. As soon as I did, the main installer kicked in again and finished - even telling me Spybot-S&D had installed successfully and I needed to reboot.

Surprisingly, after the reboot Spybot-S&D seemed to work fine. Of course I reinstalled anyway to be safe, but no obvious problems existed.

I looked for an installation log file, but couldn't find one.

If it matters, I was installing over an active RC1 installation.

Is this perhaps a bug of some sort? I assume the installer should abort if the spybotsd_includes.exe file download fails, correct?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Zer0 Voltage; 2008-07-04 at 01:41.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Download: spybotsd160-rc2.exe

Hope I'll get some update on the translations issue from Meik tomorrow, which seems to be the thing left right now (sorry Asus ).
    Ok ! I hope it will be finished totally in french as soon as possible !

This RC2 is working wery well for me.

@+
    @+

A vida não se resume em festivais (G.Vandré)

I notice that the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" context menu entry is not implemented when selecting folders as you previously said it was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 Voltage View Post
    What's the deal with spybotsd_includes.exe? What is in that file and why does it have to be downloaded during installation? Can't whatever is in there be bundled into the installer so it can be a true stand-alone install package?

The reason I ask is that I saw a problem with the RC2 installation relating to this file. I don't know if it's a true "bug" or not though.

On an XP SP3 system, I was watching the install and it got to the point where it wanted to download spybotsd_includes.exe. But something went wrong (I don't know what) and it didn't download. The download progress bar never even started. The panel appeared, hung around for a few seconds, and then disappeared without having downloaded the file.

Now since this file is obviously needed for the installation, I would have expected the installer to abort at this point - but it didn't. It just kept going until a command prompt window suddenly opened and the install froze.

I did take a screenshot, but unfortunately the clipboard got flushed before I saved it. From what I recall, the DOS window title referenced a subdirectory under my %TEMP% directory and a file name like SPYBOT~1.EXE. I also recall a flashing cursor rapidly jumping around between various locations all throughout that DOS window. During this time, the main installer panel was open in the backgroud.

I waited about 5 minutes to see if anything would happen, but then finally just manually closed the DOS window. As soon as I did, the main installer kicked in again and finished - even telling me Spybot-S&D had installed successfully and I needed to reboot.

Surprisingly, after the reboot Spybot-S&D seemed to work fine. Of course I reinstalled anyway to be safe, but no obvious problems existed.

I looked for an installation log file, but couldn't find one.

If it matters, I was installing over an active RC1 installation.

Is this perhaps a bug of some sort? I assume the installer should abort if the spybotsd_includes.exe file download fails, correct?

Thanks!
    Did you have download updates checked in the installer? Because I'm pretty sure that's what that file is. I didn't have Spybot try to download that file because I didn't have download updates checked in the installer.

@md usa spybot fan: you're absolutely right I'm still planing a large hash list for hashes on every single file, just haven't finished the concept yet (needs to be both easy to use on both sides, both by machine and user).

@ZerO Voltage: those others do use DLLs that plug into Explorer. While possible, this would make both a 32 and 64 bit version necessary and of course creates additional memory footprint which I wanted to avoid.

spybotsd_includes.exe is the manual version of the weekly update. If it would be integrated, we would have to update the main installer once a week. And then, many people wanting the manual update would probably download the full installer every week (then nearly 18 MB) instead of the single manual update (2-3 MB).
    spybotsd_includes.exe is not absolutely necessary though, calling the updater after installing works as well, doing it automatically during installation is just an attempt to avoid situations where users ignore the information they need to use the update once first

Folder integration is with SDFiles.exe /register only, need to update installer itself as well since /register was intended as a worst-case and debugging help only

TeaTimer crash is now being tested here, might even have to do with the remember issue...
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Firefox 3 Notification

It occurs to me that, if I am correct that Firefox 3 must be closed for Spybot 1.6 to scan the FF 3 bookmarks, there needs to be some type of notification of this to the Spybot users, a notification that is very evident.

I have installed spybot RC2.
    When I scan an update windows file with "scan with spybot search&destroy" (with the option that appears in the context menu) in the "heuristic" zone appears Smitfraud-c. Is this normal?

The files are downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/

When I scan all the system with spybot, the PC seems to be clean.

Sorry for my english.

Default RC2 on WinME

Indeed, an md5 is a good confirm/verify habit. Ah (reToday 06:34), all in gooD time.

<app>/Info & License/Statistics page still gives false (static) Last found, Last fixed dates as 991230. # found, # fixed increments ok.

No rightclick SDFiles or Shredder, so I put shortcuts in the Send To subdir (again) so they could be opened handily. Startmenu/../<both> is oki, but I prefer rightclick. My guess would be that new users will be a bit puzzled about these external tools unless the Tutorial or Help (*.chm) is revised a trifle. Lol, work is never done, always work

Possibly an OS-thing (XP and Vista may have better native .png transparency support), some of the semi-transparent .pngs appear incomplete (even with Windows Standard systemskin) - anyone else with an older OS notice this?
    screenshot1 screenshot2 screenshot3
    Actually, it is merely a small cosmetic and only appears on some of the smaller images and a few others - nothing to functionally impair, but nicer to look sharp if possible.

scanstats:
    SSDv1.6.0.28 Immunizations=72981 Botchecks=175942 scantime=13:23
    (note - no K-Meleon immunization available here at present .. for single-profile user)

Ah, looks like all is going well and on sched. GooD to hear a big memory footprint is being avoided

Trying to download but KIS 8.0.0.357 is blocking the download with this message:

The objet is INFECTED. The virus discovered is Trojan-GameThief.Win32.OnLineGames.arut.
    Last edited by ricari; 2008-07-04 at 17:09.

Esteemed Member

RC2 working fine (clean install) on XP SP3. The scan with Spybot context menu item works fine, also when selecting multiple files.