Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, Release Candidate 2

Re Statistics: Statistics work fine here. They're read and written using the systems date local though, so if you had switches your locale recently, that could explain it. Using plain numbers (Unix dates) inside Statistics.ini would be better of course and not depending on the local, but also more difficult to interpret for anyone wanting to interface it. Maybe I should update it to write both.
    Re: K-Meleon: the single-user profile thing is something that always hurts me since it's bad for security, but anyway... I did install one in this mode, tested and it was indeed detected, with a fresh profile and all. No idea where the problem should be, I guess I should upload a newer BrowserCI version with some debug mode regarding browser detection to help tracking down the problem...

Re: Firefox 3 not detected: if it is the same problem as in the other thread I remember, I've added a mini fix.
    Background for those interested:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\
    Contains values with the paths in question as data. These should actually not be used, Microsoft wanted to remove them in the Windows 95 and they were just kept because of compatibility issues with old software. The proper approach would be to query folder constants like CSIDL_APPDATA (Vista has an even newer concept there). The downside of the recommended approach is that it works for the current user only; since Spybot-S&D aims to scan/immunize all users accounts, it has to use the only source of information that is available for all users.
    The fix reverts, for the current user, to the API method, continuing to use the registry for other users.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

PePIMK,

Quote:"Re: Firefox 3 not detected: if it is the same problem as in the other thread I remember, I've added a mini fix."

What or where is the mini fix?

Please in plain english, I am french, so I need a dictionnary to understand some words:

"The proper approach would be to query "

Talking

I've just installed and run RC2 and it completed it's scan in under 15 mins, very nice. These speed inprovments are a vast improvement on the 30 mins plus 1.5.2.20 used to take on my old XP Home machine.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Default re Pepi's #31

(Could not access forum 080706, so this a bit late)

re: statistics page
    Yes, the statistics.ini reads correctly here also - have no idea why the page reads static 991231. I've been using %y%m%d,%R or %T for years .. some while back I removed a previous grave(`) prefix when it caused a problem with an earlier SpywareBlaster version (hmm, about 071013 if I recall correctly).

The K-Meleon (single user) glitch on my side may relate to another bad personal habit - installing to renamed parent dirs (which thankfully hasn't affected SSD, ), which may affect if the expected path has not the default dir-name? Probably best would be a multi-user install of the next version of KM so that it conforms to expected Firefox-like behavior (profile in a subdir of WINDOWS) - current version isn't really broke, so fixing can likely wait.

Possibly something else - machine 'hiccupped' while doing the initial offline immunization prior to taking it online for update (froze and I did a manual, etc during which Windows Registry Checker was allowed to repair and reboot) .. thought little of that at the time, but it could be a purely local anomaly which may be rectified with clean install of the Final.

Yes, the server was down on Sunday, had two hard disks crash right after each other

Custom application folder names might be responsible indeed; that special condition is detected by fixed path only (AlterEgo does detect them by path information e.g. form registry uninstall location, but that hasn't found it's way there yet since the program executable is not important here usually). Very soon after 1.6, we want to add some kind of tweak option to allow users to add paths manually for special situations.

Going to finish the announcement text now

Thumbs up

I didn't want to start a new post-RC2 thread for this - but just to follow up, I can confirm that the TeaTimer crash and problem with settings not being remembered is fixed in 1.6 final (1.6.0.30). And the scan option is also now present when selecting folders.

Thanks very much for the great work and support!

Looks like I was at least partially premature on the TeaTimer fix.

The app crash is fixed, but a CPU utilization spike problem remains.

If anyone else is seeing TeaTimer.exe CPU spikes, please add to the post here:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30651

Well, spikes on registry changes might mean that any files associated with the registry change are scanned. Spikes staying permanently at 99% cpu are not normal of course.

I'll probably need the fix you mentioned if it still applies... RCs 1 and two worked fine after that registry fix, but final ignores any attempts to adjust it. I don't like the idea of running Firefox with no immunization.

Send the fix my way to for one of my computors..