Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SlmJon/winlogon

Cannot find my boot cd. Need to download it again. My other boot CDs have a WindowsPE environment. Wait, we could ask rvnmaniac.

I'm re-burning it just in case there was something wrong

It worked!!!

I have a menu....now what????

Tell me the brand from your burner and the CDs so that I know what I won't buy.

This burn took a lot longer than the last one! Roxio & Memorex

I went to ntfs4dos & said yes.

Now what?

Here is the instruction for you.
    Quote:
    Detailed description:

1. Start NTFS4Dos
    If you start NTFS4Dos from the Ultimate BootCD (~115 MB download will require CD) you will find it in Filesystem Tools - NTFS Tools
    Once started you will be required to enter "yes" to confirm that you use it for personal use only.

NTFS4Dos is owned by Avira and can also be downloaded from Aviras (~1.2 MB download, will require floppy disk)website.

2. Copy and Backup of Software registry key
    What you need to do here is to backup the current software registry key and copy the backup software registry key.
    Enter the lines in code according to your OS.

Windows XP:
    Code:
    c:
    (enter)

Code:
    cd Windows\system32\config
    (enter)

This will "open" the directory.

Code:
    rename software software.bak
    (enter)
    Rename the file in order to protect your old registry.

Code:
    dir
    (enter)
    Check if there is actually a file called "software.bak". The command above should show you all the files in the directory. If not repeat the rename command line again.

Code:
    copy c:\Windows\repair\software software
    (enter)
    This will copy the default registry file in your current registry.

3. reboot and shut down properly
    At this point it is possible to get a proper login for Windows again. But since the Software key has been replaced by an old version most software is not properly registered anymore. If the latter does not matter to you, you may stop here otherwise follow the next steps.
    You will need to properly shut down Windows, to make sure that the dirty flag is not set again. A safe way to ensure this, is to boot into safe mode twice and shut down using Windows functions namely "restart".
    Just follow it until step 3 included. After that you should be able to boot in Windows safe mode. There you should use the Windows restore point and select a restore point which is NOT created by Spybot. If there are working restore points available we don't need to manually edit the registry anymore.
    chi-va is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

I've gotten to the point where you say to reboot & shut down properly. We disabled my HDD.....do I need to do something before rebooting??

I'm sitting at the command prompt. Can I just turn it off, turn it on, F2 to enable HDD & change order of boot, then let it boot?

Never mind my last post. I went ahead & did what seemed correct. I'm doing a system restore right now. It wouldn't let me go back to June (I wanted to do 6/29) so I'm doing 7/2. It's a system checkpoint 30 minutes before the Spybot update restore point. I hope this works!!!

Me too.

I have NO idea who you are or even where you are but THANK YOU doesn't begin to cover it!!!!

You've saved my life & I REALLY appreciate you spending your Saturday helping me!!!!