Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows login bug - use S&D backups?

Should I change the 'c' in 'c:\winnt\system32\userinit.exe,' to 'e', so that it works with the E:/ drive?
    C: is correct. Because this is the location of the file "userinit.exe" then you change the drives again.

If I unload the 'Fixit' version, will it cause any problems?
    You have to unload the 'Fixit' AND the 'Test' hive. Otherwise it will stay in your second system registry which could probably cause some problems.

Remember unload:

Fixit\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Test\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

and NOT
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...

Do you understand what I mean?

PS.:Was you able to follow all the steps?
    Last edited by chi-va; 2008-07-07 at 17:44.

How do I unload just the Winlogon parts? I didn't make a Winlogon change to the 'Fixit' version at all, as the various things didn't show up.
    Last edited by functio; 2008-07-07 at 17:47.

Wait a few minutes. I will start my Windows 2000 system so that I can make some screenshots for you.

There they are:

P.S.:Too small.
    Last edited by chi-va; 2008-07-10 at 00:45.

I think I can see what you've done. All I think I need to know now is how to unload fixit and test. Do I just click on both (where their name is at the top of each tree) and go to 'Registry---> Unload Hive'?

Next try. I'm not allowed to upload too much. I hope this is better.

I don't have winzip installed on the drive I'm using at the moment. Is the question I asked in my previous post correct? And do I have to unload Fixit if I made no changes to it?
    Last edited by functio; 2008-07-07 at 18:28.

second:

Yes, just select/highlight the hives which you want to unload and choose 'Registry-Unload hive'. After that, it should look like the screenshot 'Openandselect_HKLM' again. With other words, it should like the beginning because we don't want to change the registry of your second system, don't we.

Do I need to unload Fixit if I didn't make any changes with it? I can't see what's in the zip files as I don't have Winzip on this drive.

Default Unsuccessful after following your recommendation

Functio and chi-va,

I am experiencing the same EXACT problem on my Windows XP Pro Dell after running Spybot on 7/3/2008. All of my Windows account will not login. They begin, then immediately logoff.
    I followed your directions to the "T' and was unsuccessfull. I booted from a 3rd party utility CD which allowed me to browse my hard drive. I ran the regedt32 and followed your recommmendations by loading hive called "TEST". Continued with your steps until complete, rebooted from my HD and attempted to login. It started by displaying my desktop then immediately logged off. Am I missing a step or are there additional steps to follow that I may have missed. PLEASE HELP
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-07-07 at 21:05. Reason: mod: removed email address