Thread: TeaTimer 99% CPU Utilization if Exited and Restarted (v1.6.0.30)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default TeaTimer 99% CPU Utilization if Exited and Restarted (v1.6.0.30)

Looks like I have found a problem similar to the one I previously reported here during the beta phase:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30453#7

On an XP SP3 system, if I fully exit TeaTimer and then restart it sometime later the process will immediately start utilizing 99% of the CPU and stay that way until I close it again. It will then not work normally again until after a reboot.

Unlike the previous bug, however, it does not actually crash. It just keeps running at 99%. But I assume the problems are related since everything is the same except for the full program crash.

Since it doesn't crash or generate any error messages, and since I cannot reproduce this on my other XP SP3 system, what sort of information would you need from me?

Thanks.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 Voltage View Post
    ...On an XP SP3 system, if I fully exit TeaTimer and then restart it sometime later the process will immediately start utilizing 99% of the CPU and stay that way until I close it again. It will then not work normally again until after a reboot...
    Zer0 Voltage,

My experience is not quite the same as yours, but is still a little strange. When I tick the Teatimer box in Tools>Resident, Teatimer uses 49-50% CPU solidly for a period of almost exactly 1 minute, then drops virtually to zero and works normally. If I untick it, then retick it again after a few seconds, it does exactly the same thing again. This is on a Core 2 Duo PC with 1GB memory, XP-Home SP3 and all current updates. Avast 4.8.1218 AV and Zone Alarm F/W. Spybot 6.1.0.30. My question is what is it doing for the 1 minute each time. On a brighter note Teatimer now seems to be only using 25,868K memory.

Edit: Install of 1.6 version was a clean one done after full uninstall of 1.5.2 version, including removal of all immunisations, reports, backups, folders etc in case this is relevant.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-07-09 at 10:36.

Mine is a 2.8 GHz P4 (lowly single) with 1 Gig of RAM.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.667.0, but no software firewall.

And this was a clean install since I was testing all of the betas and RC's and therefore did full removals each time before upgrading.

I do not see your specific problem, but I do now notice that TeaTimer is also hitting 99% CPU for 1 minute when it first comes up after a reboot!

But so long as I don't fully close it, that doesn't happen again - even if I tick it as you describe.

And whenever TT is CPU hogging it's also page faulting like crazy.

Last edited by Zer0 Voltage; 2008-07-09 at 14:26.

I can now reproduce this problem on any XP SP3 system, though to varying degrees.

In every case, I see a TT CPU spike when it first initializes after a reboot and again whenever it is manually restarted after fully exiting.

But on some systems, it does eventually recover from the exit/restart spike (while on others it never does). It recovers from the initial load spike (after booting up) on all systems though.

At least so far I have not figured out the difference between the systems on which it recovers and those on which it doesn't.

I would still call this a problem even on systems that eventually recover though. The spikes aren't normal and lock out the system when they happen.

Default mine only

spikes that high when allowing or denying changes....then goes normal....but memory usage is much lower then before!! Thank god haha. teatimer currently using 33,236 k mem usage after allowing/denying changes.

It should be noted:

It is 20,248 k mem usage when reboot is done and no accept deny change is made. Clean install of 1.6.

I have exactly the same comportment with Teatimer on 1 PC. My second PC works fine for this moment. My PCs work with XP SP3, Antivir, AdAware...