Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6 questions

Excellent, worked like a charm Zer0 Voltage.

Default Thank you for clarifying that

md spybot fan! thanks, i just wanted to make sure i was thinking right.

I was wondering the same thing.
    Seems strange there's no setting to disable the context menu...
    but thanks, Zero, for the fix!!!

[QUOTE=md usa spybot fan;210901]et al.:

My initial post in this thread was to clarify:

129260:

That is correct:

During the installation of Spybot, a "Select Components" screen is presented that allows you to select "Which components should be installed". The screen presents the following options:
    • □ Main files
    • ■ Icons for starting blind user mode
    • ■ Additional languages
    • ■ Skins to change appearance
    • ■ Download updates immediately
    • ■ Separate Secure Shredder application
    • ■ Explorer file scan plugin (in file context menu)

The following option (selected by default) controls whether or not Spybot's scan option will be added to Windows Explorer's right click context menu:
    • ■ Explorer file scan plugin (in file context menu)

What does "Download updates immediately" mean?
    Also, what does the following mean?
    #1- Install Security Center Integration
    #2- Activate Security Center Integration

I have Vista HPsp1
    Last edited by tiger2; 2008-07-24 at 17:29.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

tiger2:

Quote Originally Posted by tiger2 View Post
    ... What does "Download updates immediately" mean?
    "Download updates immediately" gives the opportunity to download the latest files (detection, language, help, etc.) during the installation rather than go into Spybot » Update after the installation. Note: Some people have had problems in the past using that option. See:

Quote Originally Posted by tiger2 View Post
    Also, what does the following mean?
    #1- Install Security Center Integration
    #2- Activate Security Center Integration
    The Windows Security Center in Vista includes the ability to monitor the status of anti-malware products. The "Install Security Center Integration" and "Activate Security Center Integration" options install and activate the interfaces to enable the Windows Security Center to do that with Spybot. See:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    tiger2:

"Download updates immediately" gives the opportunity to download the latest files (detection, language, help, etc.) during the installation rather than go into Spybot » Update after the installation. Note: Some people have had problems in the past using that option. See:

The Windows Security Center in Vista includes the ability to monitor the status of anti-malware products. The "Install Security Center Integration" and "Activate Security Center Integration" options install and activate the interfaces to enable the Windows Security Center to do that with Spybot. See:
    =================
    Thank you so much.
    I deleted SpyBot 1.5.2 and began to install 1.6, however, near end of install I got the message:

"Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Spy Bot - Search and Destroy\SD Win Sec.exe.
    Create Process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation."

What does this mean? Should I now uninstall 1.6 and re-install 1.5.2 which was working fine?

After the message about "Unable to execute file..." the 1.6 appeared to LOAD COMPLETELY. I haven't done anything else with it as I am unsure about what the message meant.
    I am a complete novice at this and my husband is on a trip and will not return for quite a while. I just don't want anything to happen to our new Vista while he is out of town.

Alice
    7/24/08 (Vista HPsp1)
    Last edited by tiger2; 2008-07-25 at 00:17.

you da man

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 Voltage View Post
    Actually, the final 1.6 code is now using an executable (SDFiles.exe) which gives us a nice stand-alone interface instead of the previous method which required manually registering SDFiles.dll and only worked within the file/folder properties tabs.

So no DLL's to unregister. AFAIK, the only thing you need to do to remove the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" context menu entry is to remove the associated Registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdfiles

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\sdfiles

At least that worked when I tried it.

I've attached a ZIP file with two REG files you can merge to turn it on and off easily. Don't even need to reboot when doing either.

Just be aware that the "Enable" file assumes you installed to "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" - so if you didn't, you'll need to modify it accordingly. The "Disable" file doesn't care.

Hey Zer0 Voltage, where do I go in my computer to find the Registry keys
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdfiles

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\sdfiles

so I can remove them like you did and replace them with a file from your zip file. I still have Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy as the top item when I right click openning a jpeg file on my computer. I want to to eliminate the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" right click context menu option entirely from the context menu on all file types, Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Doughboy814; 2008-10-16 at 22:28.

Question

Zer0 Voltage,

I just downloaded the zip file and saw the two registry files inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 Voltage View Post
    I've attached a ZIP file with two REG files you can merge to turn it on and off easily. Don't even need to reboot when doing either.
    Forgive my ignorance, but merge what with what? Normally I consider myself to have more PC smarts than the average end-user, but I'm registry-challenged. Can you (or anyone else reading) explain exactly what I need to do here? Thanks in advance.

ajk1962f

Just like any other .reg file you'll have to double-click it.