Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: right click scanning of spybot detects smitfraud c all over the place!

Lightbulb yup

this has been confirmed and will be fixed. See yodamas replies.

@129260
    thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by joshonefive View Post
    what if someone is infected?

will it then list under malware instead of heuristic. spybot, with right click scan, finds a few files under heuristic category that show smitfraud-c and Worldsecurityonline.FakeAlert.

my question is are all of "smitfraud-c" and "worldsecurityonline" in the heuristic category just brushed off to assume the user is infected with in fact "nothing"?

i'm currently researching the symptoms of smitfraud-c and worldsecrutiyonline.fakealert and will post my results of what i think this could be.
    In case of infection with these threats it would also be listed under malware.
    Additionally a normal scan with Spybot S&D would also find traces of these malware. These threats in particular depend on registry entries to get started on system boot. They are not threats that are strictly file based.

Both malware usually show false warning messages to make users download and buy rogue security software.

The heuristics scan will be more reliable with the upcoming update, but changes still have to be made.
    So if in doubt about a heuristics result (after the update today), you can also submit the file to detections@spybot.info for analysis.

my pc actually does have a virus or something. when booted it gives me a bunch or application errors stating that my programs failed to initialize and must either terminate or debug. also i am unable to open anything on my desktop or modify it(explorer.exe). my system lags rediculously hard making it impossible to do anything including updating my anti-virus. i am currently using mcaffee 8.5i enterprise with patch 5. the on-acess did not catch any virus and i am not able to update manually due to the lag.
    this kind of errors could relate to an infection, please post in the malware removal forums and follow the helpers instructions on how to provide the log files they require to estimate the source of the issues.

this is also a wierd question but i ran RAM diagnostics that cleared but could RAM be the culprit?
    As you already stated this is unlikely. Hardware issues usually cause random errors, like sudden blue screens.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default Wireless Migrator

Would you please check the program "Wireless Migrator" from codeplex? URL listed below

http://www.codeplex.com/wlan/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=14107 > BackupWireless.exe

Spybot 1.6 latest definitions detects "Worldsecurityonline.FakeAlert" when using the context menu option and heuristics.

I believe this is a false positive.

Thanks for your feedback.

Default OpenSuse 11 (DVD) and Linux Mint 5 Elyssa (CD) ISOs

Both downloaded images mentioned above, when scanned with version 1.6 and context menu (heuristics), are said to contain Smitfraud C.

Please advise, I believe they are false+

Kind regards

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Tattenbach:

Prior posts in this thread indicate that there where confirmed false positives for Smitfraud-C using the Windows Explorer right click context menu item "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy".

However, in regards to:

Quote Originally Posted by Tattenbach View Post
    Both downloaded images mentioned above, …
    All posts prior to yours are using old updates. Have you download today's updates (2008-07-16) and tried again?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

> All posts prior to yours are using old updates. Have you download today's updates (2008-07-16) and tried again?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply. No, I have not updated def. this week but will do later today (I am away from my PC now) and post the results. Thanks again.

PS: I have another post here regarding Wireless Migrator identified with another type of malware. Perhaps the update cures that one too as I believe it should be false+
    Last edited by Tattenbach; 2008-07-17 at 09:41.

Now everything is ok with the last update!
    Thank you SpyBot's team!!
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by Tattenbach View Post
    > All posts prior to yours are using old updates. Have you download today's updates (2008-07-16) and tried again?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply. No, I have not updated def. this week but will do later today (I am away from my PC now) and post the results. Thanks again.

PS: I have another post here regarding Wireless Migrator identified with another type of malware. Perhaps the update cures that one too as I believe it should be false+
    Neither the linux ISOs nor Wireless Migrator are reported as infected after this update. Thanks!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Tattenbach:

I'm glad that your problem was resolved with the latest (2008-07-16) updates.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Firefox false positive?

I have no problems with pop-ups, etc; and no symptoms of infection. Checked a different computer and also see no problems but both computers show this when doing a right click scan on the firefox folder; located in the program files folder. (I only checked doing it this way because of the smitfraud false positive reported in Internet explorer)

The malware scan shows nothing found; the heuristic scan shows the red caution symbol at: nsDefaultCLH.js __ Win32. Zhelatin.VG

The normal S&D scan shows no issues and neither Norton or Command anti-virus show anything.

Both computers: Windows XP sp3
    S&D ver1.6 updated 7-16-08
    Firefox ver.3.0.1

One computer is using Command AV ver.4.95.2
    One computer is using Norton Internet Security Ver.15.5.0.23
    Last edited by robertlee; 2008-07-20 at 07:28. Reason: format mistake