Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Went from 1.5.2 to 1.6.0. and returning back to 1.5.2

Nevermind.
    In order to protect an older C drive, I wanted to avoid any more restarts.
    In the end I couldn't resist going back and doing it right this time. All is 1.5.2.20 and normal.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    you could just try to turn off teatimer if you use it just to check, if it is that one that slows down your computer, but when doing that teatimer will not protect you anymore.

this is some information to you copied from another site about hostsfiles, and can be useful if you use spybots hostsfile or other hostsfiles:

Those of you who use Windows 2000/XP Pro and use the very large version of the Hosts file may experience system slowdowns and slow connections. Most often, this is noticed by those with dialup connections, but may occur with broadband connections as well.

Windows 2000/XP Pro also includes a service known as the DNS cache. You can locate it in your services listed as "DNS Client". To use Hosts or DNSKong you may need to stop and disable this service. Some machines seem to run Hosts without disabling this service. It is safe to turn it off and disable it. You will likely never notice it is gone. As far as I can tell, no other Windows operating system offers such a service.

both teatimer and the dns client can be enabled again if you find out that none of them is the problem.
    i think xp home also has the dns client service, but i dont know because i use xp pro. however dnskong is not included in spybot, and i dont know anything about it.

edit: i dont know anything about vista.
    Why do I need a hosts file?
    Must every PC have a hosts file?
    I was messing around with spybot one day, and after that my PC slowed down to a snail pace, and I discovered I had a hosts file. Is it possible I created the hosts file and didn't have one before?

Smile

A few users posted in this thread that they think the TeaTimer function of SB 1.6.0 is what is causing the very high CPU usage when accessing new web pages in IE and even when only clicking on a 'new tab' in IE.

While I admit I have never used the TeaTimer function but rather always the SDHelper function during all past versions of SB, I'm pretty sure it is the SDHelper functionality that is causing the extremely sluggish IE response times. Proof is that TeaTimer in my 1.6.0 install has always been disabled, IE was extremely sluggish with SDHelper enabled, and then IE went back to its snappy normal speed when I disabled SDHelper (although I lost that protection, doh!).

My two bits here. I'm only guessing that there might be a small coding error in SDHelper.dll which is causing a loop type deadlock. I cannot believe that SDHelper.dll is actually using the CPU for that much intensity and time just to scan a new web page or even a new 'IE tab' when the previous versions are taken into comparison.

As in the past, I'm confident the SB programmers will correct this coding problem of SDHelper.dll soon just like they corrected the 'very slow to startup SB version' months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcD View Post
    Why do I need a hosts file?
    Must every PC have a hosts file?
    I was messing around with spybot one day, and after that my PC slowed down to a snail pace, and I discovered I had a hosts file. Is it possible I created the hosts file and didn't have one before?
    almost everybody has a hostsfile on the computer i think, my original looks like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

and if you add this under the first localhost line: 127.0.0.1 forums.spybot.info
    then you can not access this forums, and other programs on the computer can not connect to the spybot forums.

malware blocks security sites and antivirus/antispyware updates in this way but the spybot hostsfile blocks sites that has malware in it and some adservers.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-08-09 at 09:08.

Default 1.6.0 installer issue

Has anyone else noticed an issue with spybotsd160.exe, the Windows installer for 1.6.0? Near the end of the process a program runs in a console window that sends several megs of form feeds to the parallel port. Manually closing this window (and deleting the print job) after the progress bar on the installer has reached the end appears to have no ill effect on the installation. Spybot S&D 1.6.0.31 seems to run properly. I'm using Windows XP with SP2 on a Pentium 4.