Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow scan & can't "ignore"

Default slow scan & can't "ignore"

Hi All....I have 2 questions/problems with Spybot 1.5.......

1---Scan time has increased dramatically...!!!!!..Version 1.4 (and previous verions that I've had) took avg 25-45 minutes.......Version 1.5 is taking 2 hours plus......Double the time (2 hours plus) because my husband and I each have our own Windows Log-n.....So, that takes it up to 5 hours vs 1 1/2hours total.....

I've read suggestions from other postings and offer---Disk Clean-up; Defrag; D/L Directory; Internet browser caches, History and cookies----All are done routinely etc.....

2---Scan results shows cookies and one Registry change....The cookies I took care of with no problem.......The Registry change I wanted future scans to Ignore.....That's where there's a problem----I'm still getting this same Registry change in the scan results....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....
    Dell Dimension 2300 / Pent 4 / WinXP-SP2 / IE 7 / AVG 8(Free) / SpybotS&D 1.5/ AdAware 2007/ HJT / AOL 9 Security Edition S E

Smile

codysmom,

1/ Updating to the current release 1.6.0.30 should significantly reduce your scan time, this is one of its big features. Also with Spybot in Advanced mode, either leave the Settings>directories empty, or keep it to a single folder. As everything in this is specifically scanned, it can radically extend the scan time. Its purpose is really to have like a download folder where the items downloaded can be specifically scanned before you transfer them into the main system.

You haven't said what operating system you have, or the CPU type and speed of the computer, and its memory size. These are all factors in how long scans take.

2/ Normally you open up the item (click on the + in front of it), right click on the entry that is now shown and select Exclude this detection from further searches. Perhaps if you can indicate exactly what it is that you want to exclude a better answer might be available.

Hi Greyfox…..Thanks for your reply….

1—-a---I’ll definitely consider upgrade to 1.6 …..
    b---In Settings > Directory is empty…..
    c---O/S is XP/SP2; CPU = 1.8 GHz; Speed = 1794 MHz; Memory = 256 MB ……..

2------Yes, I left clicked on the item to open it: Then, I right clicked on “Exclude”……The specific item is classified a ‘registry change” for:

Microsoft Windows Security Center AntiVirus Override
    HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride (is not) dword:0
    Dell Dimension 2300 / Pent 4 / WinXP-SP2 / IE 7 / AVG 8(Free) / SpybotS&D 1.5/ AdAware 2007/ HJT / AOL 9 Security Edition S E

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by codysmom View Post
    The specific item is classified a ‘registry change” for:

Microsoft Windows Security Center AntiVirus Override
    HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride (is not) dword:0
    codysmom,

I'm not sure why you would want to negate the security centre's antivirus warnings, however with Spybot in Advanced mode, you could try going to Settings>Ignore products>All Products, then scroll down the list until you find MicrosoftWindowsSecurityCentre.AntivirusOverride and put a tick in the box.

Your PC speed is not super fast, but probably one of the reasons for slow scans is the rather small memory size. I think you would find a considerable improvement if it were increased to 512MB, or better yet 1GB. That said keeping all other running tasks to absolute minimum when you are doing a scan, making sure you have cleaned out caches etc (which you already know about) and possibly defragging the drive every so often would also help (but don't overdo that one). Again though I would recommend trying version 1.6, it may be that it will bring down your scan times to an acceptable level.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-07-12 at 13:29.

Default i agree with greyfox

You need more memory, at least 512 for your programs to run smoothly on XP.

you can scan in safe mode and get a speed increase -
    also faster after a fresh reboot-- usually
    running CCleaner will help if your temp files have really grown
    but
    remove ALL instances of earlier Spybot with add remove programs
    reboot
    install 1.6
    reboot
    update
    re immunize
    you should see a speed increase

the memory advice is right on
    depending on your motherboard- go for it
    however if your motherboard requires really expensive memory --
    as DDRII is really inexpensive now
    save up for a new system
    is this a laptop?

Hi Greyfox et al.....

Thank you for your replies.......

I just did upgrade to 1.5 on 6/8/08.....I followed the steps recommended which included using Add/Remove for any/all previous versions before installing 1.5....Don't know how / why I missed info on the 1/6 version....

I do regular "maintenance"---including clearing out temp files; caches; disk clean-up; defrag.....Last done 6/11/08....

Dell Dimension 2300 (see info in my signature) is a desktop (not a laptop).....Have had it since 12/02 with XP factory installed by Dell.....

Compared to many other systems, I guess this one is considered old and out of date....Since I don't think I can convince my husband that we need to invest in a newer one, I guess I'll just have to deal with what we have.....

As I mentioned, using 1.4 version the scan time averaged 25-45 minutes....I would have thought any newer version would be at least as fast if not faster as opposed to slower.....

If I allow Spybot to "fix" the registry change mentioned, wouldn't I be intruding on / reversing something that M/S did on purpose through possibly one of the monthly critical updates .......???......How can I tell.....???

I guess bottom line at this point is for me to upgrade to 1.6 and hope for the best......

Thanks again to all.......

Esteemed Member

Along with the update to Spybot S&D, the recommendation to increase the memory in your PC makes complete sense, especially if you'll be keeping it for a while longer. Here's a link to the Dell™ Dimension™ 2300 Technical specifications describing the type and size of RAM devices useable in your PC:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...cs.htm#1106254

Here are Dell supplied options for purchase of this RAM, though it's a bit pricey:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...=19&k=311-7007
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...&cs=19&x=7&y=9
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/D...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Here's one possible alternative online source for purchase of the RAM. There are many others who are just as reputable, this is just an example:

http://www.edgetechcorp.com/memory/u....asp?cid=17095

It's possible that your current RAM is either one 256MB or two 128MB 'sticks', so you might need to remove one 128MB stick to replace it. See this Dell link for help with how to look for the RAM inside the case and replace it:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ce.htm#1101964

You can also usually determine exactly what parts are currently installed in your Dell PC by going to the Dell Support Pages and entering your Service Tag number:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...=us&l=en&s=gen

Bitman

great advice bitman
    after she gets 1.6 installed she should be good to go even with 256 kb if there are not a lot of garbage running at start up
    Codysmom
    I already said the additional memory is a good idea
    but you may be able to do better with what you have
    let us know how it goes
    get the rest of your software updated including Windows Updates
    and we'll take a look at it
    I do recommend a complete uninstall - reinstall since you already have done an overwrite update at least once

Smile

Codysmom,

I hope you gain some scan speed improvement by updating to version 1.6. As bitman has said, increasing the amount of ram may well be an affordable option that will increase the usefull life of your PC.

There was a recommendation made by wyrmrider to use CCleaner to clean up your temporary files. I'm sorry but I would have to caution anyone not familiar with that type of utility against jumping in and using it. It is a tool, and in the right hands is certainly useful, but it is also capable of causing a whole heap of problems if you don't understand how to use it properly.

See also http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038

The other suggestion I have is that where memory is very limited, you consider leaving Teatimer turned off.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-07-14 at 12:48.