Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot crashes on start up

Default Spybot crashes on start up

Whenever I start Spybot S&D I get a crash report than cannot scan nor update it. Been unable to use it for weeks. I use Windows XP, an upgrade from Windows ME. I think I am using Sptbot S&D 1.5. I also uninstalled it, than reinstalled it. Than I get the same problem.

Other antispyware programs work, and I removed one coolwebsearch item and thought that would solve the problem, but it didn't.

Regards

BrianC
    Last edited by objectivebrianc; 2008-06-09 at 02:59.

Hello,

Which error message do you get exactly?

Please make sure that you are running the latest version of Spybot - Search & Destroy including the latest updates.

To see which version number and/or updates of Spybot - Search & Destroy you are using please run Spybot-S&D and choose "Help" --> "About" in the menu bar.
    There you can see which version you have and which updates are installed.
    It should be version 1.5.2 and the updates from the 2008/06/04.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Error said

Spybot - Search & Destroy has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on has been lost. Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

Spybot never opens so I cannot follow instruction you showed, nor can I update it, but I right clicked Spybot than pressed properties and it appears to be the version you says is up to date. 1.5.2.0

I have picture of some of the other information of the errors, but I don't know how to upload it here.

I could copy and paste the file from 2bea_appcompat.txt if that would help.
    Last edited by objectivebrianc; 2008-06-09 at 22:33.

Lightbulb i would try

completely removing spybot, restart, and then download a fresh copy from the home site of spybot:

http://www.spybot.info/en/home/index.html

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

objectivebrianc:

Quote Originally Posted by objectivebrianc View Post
    ... but I right clicked Spybot than pressed properties and it appears to be the version you says is up to date. 1.5.2.0 ...
    If you are looking at the properties of SpybotSD.exe, the current production version is 1.5.2.20.

Follow 129260's advice to download and reinstall.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

completely removing spybot, restart, and then download a fresh copy from the home site of spybot:

Took care of that and the problem remains.

I took a look at the thread title... and I was thinking, can you boot Spybot in SAFE MODE?

Also, there is only one entry for Spybot-SD in your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window correct?

Do you have enough RAM (memory) to run Windows XP? The minimum and recommended is 512MB. The required RAM to run a Windows ME would be lower in standards.

So when did this problem start exactly? Did it start on your post (June 8, 2008)?

Also, you mentioned some anti-spyware programs in your first post. Care to give some examples?

I took a look at the thread title... and I was thinking, can you boot Spybot in SAFE MODE?

No same error message is received

Also, there is only one entry for Spybot-SD in your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window correct?

Yes only one entry

Do you have enough RAM (memory) to run Windows XP? The minimum and recommended is 512MB. The required RAM to run a Windows ME would be lower in standards.

oops! That is wrong Checking System Information I find 384 MB total physical memory, with 70.83 MB of available physical memory. Do you suppose the 2.0 GB of virtual memory would matter? That makes me wonder if Spybot isn't for me until I upgrade the memory.

So when did this problem start exactly? Did it start on your post (June 8, 2008)?

Don't remember the exact day the problem started.

Also, you mentioned some anti-spyware programs in your first post. Care to give some examples?

I was going to call this irrelevant, but since being here will confirm whether the other antispywares are legit or rouge, here is the list

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

asquare free

Windows Defender

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

cwshredder

RootkitRevealer

In the past I had TheCleaner from Moosoft. I uninstalled it because it kept crashing when I tried to use it, I also had Bazooka, and AdAware

Question Questions.

The average user wouldn't use MalwareByte's Anti-Malware unless it's a infected machine. Same goes for SAS. Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner is badly outdated. CWShredder would be used to remove CoolWWWSearch if I'm correct.

What I'm thinking was that... there were issues in the past that Lavasoft's AdAware was conflicting with Spybot-SD. It had something to do with AdAware detecting entries within Spybot's folders.

My solution is this:
    ~Remove Spybot-SD and AdAware from your computer. This means both.
    Also, what version is your current AdAware. Is it the Free version or a paid suscription?

After removing both, download CCleaner and run it.

The direct link would be:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading

Now follow instructions carefully.
    -Run the CCleaner (first tab) with the default boxes checked. I wouldn't suggest touching the Advanced Settings.

After that... run the registry cleaner. There will be detected entries related to both Spybot and AdAware. Re-run the test as there will be remaining issues. 3-4 times should clear it, thus it will find no more entries.
    -------

Lastly, to learn about your System Information, go to CONTROL PANEL in Windows XP.

Find Performance and Maintenance" and click on SYSTEM.

What is the Service Pack and the amount of RAM on your present computer?

Here are the steps I took;
    I uninstalled Spybot, and ran ccleaner than rebooted to safe mode and ran ccleaner again, I ran it again to verify that the results would be clean. adaware has previously been uninstalled, it was the free version, but I don't know what the version was.

Microsoft XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 3

and the amount of RAM on the present computer is 384 MB, processor 797 MHz, but in front of the computer it says 800 HMz so I get to wondering about the deficit in the processor, but that might be a different subject.

All in all I have both Adaware and SpyBot off. Now I wonder what to do next.

Thank you