I am just learning about hosts files and this is what I have so far.

A hosts file is a list of internet (site) domain names paired with an IP address. The hosts file is loaded into memory before any internet site is called. When a call is made, hosts is checked first. If the internet site is in hosts, then the call is directed to the corresponding IP address (not necessarily the site's actual IP address).

From what I understand, the Spybot hosts file is a list of sites that have been known to perpetuate nasties; each site is paired with the generic address for the local machine (127.0.0.1): The Spybot S&D hosts file is set up so that each nasty site is redirected to your local IP address (127.0.0.1). This effectively blocks you from ever actually connecting to the bad site: The nasty site cannot its perform malicious deeds on your system.

To view and edit your hosts file using Spybot S&D: If not in advanced mode, click on mode and select advanced, then select tools in the left pane, check the box beside hosts file in the right pane, and select hosts file in the left pane.

1) Is my understanding correct?

2) When you click on the "+ Add Spybot S&D hosts file" bar, what happens?

I have MVPhosts and am considering adding that hosts file to Online Armor firewall. 3) Is this advisable? 4) Is it necessary?

5) How can I find out what each "nasty" internet site is purported to do?