Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6

Default Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6

I've just installed the Spybot 1.6.0.30 and notice that Resident SDHelper is slowing down my computer a lot. This only applies to SDHelper, and not TeaTimer. TeaTimer works fine for me. It is definitely SDHelper in version 1.6 that is slowing my machine down. It did not do this in version 1.5.

I think it is affecting Explorer and IE. All I have to do is click on "My Computer" and it takes about two seconds to open the folder for viewing. If I just disable SDHelper, the folder opens instantly. I've tried toggling SDHelper on and off several times and the difference is consistent and very noticeable. I've also noticed a huge slowdown in internet browsing with the new SDHelper enabled. I think the problem is the same on my other machine as well. Is anyone else noticing this?

I've exactly the same problem : SDhelper slows down Explorer & IExplorer with Spybot 1.6.0.30 (was not the case with 1.5)
    Disabling SDhelper option resolves the problem (but not safely I guess...)
    My configuration: Windows XP Pro SP2, ZoneAlarm, Global (Hosts) vaccination OFF.

I go back to Spybot 1.5 for now...

Default SDHelper causing delay opening folders

After upgrading to v1.6 of Spybot I am seeing a 3 second delay when opening either Windows Explorer or My Computer - and this repeats on every change of folder - so flipping between folders becomes very annoying as each change has this 3 second pause. The right-hand file window remains blank during the delay.

I have tracked this delay to the SDHelper (aka Resident IE) component of Spybot - switching off the SDHelper eliminates the delay. Activating SDHelper turns the delay back on - but only for any new Windows Explorer windows - any pre-existing windows remain ok and function without the delay.

Both the computers showing this problem are using XP-Pro on a 3Ghz P4 with 1Gb Ram - so normally folders open almost instantly. I run a very lean XP setup with only 26 resident processes - the only extras being AVG Free v8 without the LinkScanner or Office plugin loaded. Normally I would see 600-700k of free RAM. The problem exists under both SP2 and SP3 and with both IE6 and IE7.

I have recently installed on two computers running XP Home without any problem.

I have already tried a full undo of all protections, uninstall and reinstall of Spybot v1.6 without any change. TeaTimer has no effect on this delay problem - but the new Beta version is a great improvement over the standard version.
    Last edited by DougCuk; 2008-08-01 at 01:15.

I didn't link my slowed-down-explorer to SD-Helper until I stumbled on this topic. So, yes I'm suffering of the same problem. When I open explorer it needs much time to search for the files in the right window or it doesn't seem to open at all for a minute or so. Never had this before. Stopping SD-Helper makes the opening quick and easy again. I have also version 1.6 installed recently.
    I have Windows XP Home SP3 and IE 6.
    Last edited by Guingion; 2008-08-03 at 13:33.

Default Delay Opening Folders caused by SDHelper

Join the club Guingion.
    Glad you found the cause - took me a while and like you I just stumbled on it in the forums.

I've posted this thread a few weeks back: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30975 (look especially at this post: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...5&postcount=13)

Seems the issue is becoming larger, so maybe something will be done to fix this bug soon.
    Last edited by jmj713; 2008-08-06 at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraud View Post
    I think it is affecting Explorer and IE. All I have to do is click on "My Computer" and it takes about two seconds to open the folder for viewing. If I just disable SDHelper, the folder opens instantly. I've tried toggling SDHelper on and off several times and the difference is consistent and very noticeable. I've also noticed a huge slowdown in internet browsing with the new SDHelper enabled. I think the problem is the same on my other machine as well. Is anyone else noticing this?
    OK ... my computer has slowed down to a snail's pace as well after installing 1.6. Turned this expensive piece of hardware into a joke, it did.

I don't know what happens when SDHelper is disabled (does that disable Spybot?) ... or how to disable it.

How can I get my hands on a copy of v 1.5 now that I've installed 1.6? I don't have a 1.5 backup on my system.

You can get all the older versions at "FileHippo"

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfgay View Post
    I don't know what happens when SDHelper is disabled (does that disable Spybot?) ... or how to disable it.
    In IE7 go to Tools > Manage Add-Ons > Enable or Disable Add-Ons and disable the "Spybot-SD IE Protection (SDHelper.dll)". This will let you keep the new Spybot.

Quote Originally Posted by jmj713 View Post
    In IE7 go to Tools > Manage Add-Ons > Enable or Disable Add-Ons and disable the "Spybot-SD IE Protection (SDHelper.dll)". This will let you keep the new Spybot.
    Wow. What a difference. Thanks.