Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6

No news ?
    No correction of SDHelper planned ?

I have tried my best to get this issue reviewed by Team Spybot - but with very limited result.
    Spybot Sandra is the only Team Member to have responded at all - with post #44 in this thread - where she suggests the problem is due to the large Domains List currently used by SDHelper. A reduction in the size of the list is being worked on.

Greyfox suggested a test (renaming Domains.sbs) to prove or disprove this Domains List theory, for anyone suffering a slowdown problem. As far as I can see this is a valid test and proved for myself and one other that the size of the Domains list was not a factor in our cases. Far more people have now confirmed that clearing the Cookies folder does work. A number of others have found that uninstalling the Google Toolbar works if your issue is an IE7 slowdown.

I did finally get a response via email - but it just re-iterated the Domains List theory and ignored all my evidence showing the Cookies folder was the cause. I did point out that we had tested and disproved this theory over two weeks ago - see post #50 in this thread - but so far no response.

Several Senior Members on the forum have commended me for my persistence but I must admit I am getting to the end of my patience on this one. A Sticky warning people to clear the Cookies folder might be nice - a fix in the SDHelper code would be even better.

I haven't read about it before, but added a feature request here now.

For bugs like this, I would usually recommend posting a suggestion for the project tools section in the beta forum. Written in the same style as the existing bug reports / feature requests, listing all three parts: situation, experienced and expected. I read that subforum more often than the main one
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Seeing as this is a problem with the current version of the program it never occurred to me that posting in the Beta Forum was appropriate. I thought the Beta forum was for problems with Beta and RC versions only.

However thank you for picking up this issue and creating a Bug listing.

Thanks for your responses.
    I confirm on my side that clearing the Cookie folder suppress the problem(temporary I guess...). I use IE6 without google toolbar.
    I will follow the Beta forum.

A new version of SDHelper (Resident IE) is available in Beta testing.
    It is designed to fix slowdown problems caused by a large cache of Cookies (500+).

Anyone wanting to test and give feedback on the new Beta version please check this Bug Tracker thread:
    http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=282

I've downloaded the latest updates and now I finally don't have the problem anymore.

Just a note to confirm that the new version of SDHelper (aka Resident IE / Spybot SD BHO) is now on full release and will install if you run the standard update of Spybot v1.6

This version fixes the slowdown problem in Windows Explorer and IE caused by excessive numbers of cookies.

Thanks !

Angry

im also having this problam and its driving me mad! i was wondering why everything was going so slow and i couldent understand why! my internet is driving me nuts....not responding all the time...then it takes forever to load...then im not getting piks displayed right....come on this is a joke.!! what has happend!!?? please fix it!!!