Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6

Just tried 1.6 again today and I'm also having the before-mentioned bog down problems in IE and Windows.

I want understand what I'm reading. If I untick SDHelper in Spybot will that help the Windows problem as well as the IE problem? If not, do I need to untick TeaTimer too?

And, if I untick SDHelper, what am I sacrificing? Wouldn't it be more secure to stay with 1.5.2 for the time being?

Default SDHelper Causes Delay in Opening Folders

For me unticking SDHelper removed the 3 second delay in opening folders in Windows Explorer/My Computer. I was not experiencing a slowdown in IE7 but others have stated it can also cure the slowdown seen in Internet Explorer.

As I understand it you are loosing a certain degree of first line protection provided as a Browser Helper Object. The Help file describes SDHelper as follows: A browser helper for Internet Explorer that will block download of files known as malicious (spyware installers for example).

Until this problem is fixed I am trusting that the spyware protection in AVG v8 and TeaTimer can protect me - but I do feel a tad exposed with an integral part of Spybot disabled. So far I have been unable to isolate what added factors trigger this problem - I have two computers with the problem and two that do not - all with almost identical configurations. I am seriously considering doing a clean install of XP on one of the pc's that currently shows the fault and trying to isolate at what stage the problem appears.

DougCuk, I echo your equivocation.

Unless I disable SDHelper and take my chances I, like you, am not sure how much I rely on it in relation to my other security apps. This is my only machine so I'm not willing to experiment.
    Looks like I'll be staying with 1.5.2 until we get a definitive fix.

BTW, I was aware of the manual entry. I thought if I expressed my question that way, I might get a little more "real world" info.

You gave me exactly what I needed. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcD View Post
    I did the same automatic upgrade (as d&ss1) to 1.6.0.31 last night and now my system is so slow it's unusable (it's my work PC), so now I'm in a panic. The worst is my email client software, Sea-Monkey, it now takes forever just to move from email to email.

1) What can I do to get the original speed back? Are there adjustments or tweaks I can do to stop the slowdown?
    2) Or should I uninstall 1.6 and reinstall 1.5? Would this be the safest choice?
    3) Should I have uninstalled 1.5 before I installed 1.6? (The automatic process did not present this as a choice)

Thanks!!!
    Above is my post in another thread, posted before I saw this...
    Is v 1.6 a beta version?
    So Guingion, how do you turn off SD-Helper?
    Will this fix all the "slow" problems, including my SeaMonkey email?
    Or would it just be better to go back to v1.5?

Thanks!
    Mike

I have yet to establish what changes were made in this new update 1.6.0.31 as I can find nothing documented anywhere - my system is still on v1.6.0.30. There may be some new slowdown problem in this update or it may be the same problem others have seen before. At this point in time it is unclear to me.

If you wish to try disabling SDHelper to test if it is the cause here are the options.

You can disable the SDHelper (aka Resident IE Browser Helper Object) from several places.
    1. Inside the Spybot program from the Advanced menu via Tools->Resident - SDHelper tickbox.
    2. From the TeaTimer/SD Resident system tray icon - via the right click menu - open the Resident IE section and untick the "Use Resident in IE Sessions" option.
    3. Inside IE use the Tools->Manage Addons menu and disable the Spybot-SD IE Protection item.

Reboot and check if the problem disappears - If it makes no difference turn it back on again.

1.6 has apparently slowed down my PC too.
    I use SeaMonkey (Mozilla) browser and email client, which is unusable
    Disabling SDHelper, under advanced mode, makes no difference
    There does not appear to be a solution to this,
    Looks like I need to uninstall 1.6 and reinstall 1.5
    Anyone have a better idea?

I blame this, ultimately, on the internet, and all the sickos that put out all this nasty s_it out there. My former rocket ship P4 had been reduced to a piece of crap. I had the same experience going from AVG v7.5 to v8, it turned my PC into a rock.

Hello everybody, I've just registered here in order to report the same problem.

I confirm that it is SD-Helper that slows things down (that is: if you disable it as described above things get back to normal) - my browser has 8-10 second delays - not only when launching, but also when browsing to next page (often with "not responding" on title bar). Another thing I observed is that when the page features ads (banners, flash thingies) the delays probably multiply with each object (i.e. as if it was scanning it or something). Browsing is slow just like in my modem days - this is unbearable.

For the time being - until the problem is resolved - I'm switching back to 1.5.2 and suggest the same for others. Disabling SD-Helper makes you more vulnerable - Spybot removes bad software, but it's better not getting infected in the first place, right? I'd rather stick to outdated protection than no protection at all (or a very slow system).

System: WinXP Pro SP2
    Browser: IE6
    Hardware: P4@2.6GHz, 512MB RAM
    Last edited by RolaPL; 2008-08-08 at 11:09.

is the SD-Helper really needed when the sites it blocks already are placed in the restricted zone and some of them in the hostsfile? i have it turned on right now.

Question

I installed the new SB version, noticed IE became horribly slow, disabled the SDHelper via the SB window, and IE started to run as fast as before (when I used the previous SB version with its SDHelper).

This is a dual 3.2ghz Xeon system (4 logical processors) with 12GB of mem and 12-disk RAID5 array. IE was pegging frequently at 25-31% (meaning a bit more than one logical processor fully used) when loading web pages and with the new version's SDHelper active. Turing off the new SDHelper has eliminated all of the 'wait times.'

Is there a bit of messed-up code in the SDHelper part of the software?

Thanks!
    Joe

Default Same Slow IE with S&D 1.6

I just upgraded two days ago and thought nothing of it. All of a sudden my browser was utilizing 50% CPU and I thought I had some sort of malware infection. Turns out it is indeed the new version of the resident shield. I had to disable the plugin as has been suggested here This is the first time in 3 years that I ever had an issue with one of these guy's releases. I am sure they will come up with a solution fast! At least I hope so...