Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6

You know, all these posts remind me of the time earlier in the month when I decided to finally take the plunge to AVG 8, because AVG 7.5 was no more being updated. Both AVG 7.5 and Spybot 1.5.2 were awesome software, and they were probably the best free security softwares out there, along with Comodo or Zone Alarm Firewall. But with many users reporting bitterly about the Linkscanner issue grinding their system to a halt, and new features in AVG 8, which few people wanted, like the toolbar and such ... it's like taking perfectly good pieces of software and deliberately sabotaging them.

Now if you don't pay attention during the install of Spybot 1.6, it installs an Explorer extension (see this thread http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30678 ) and the SDHelper thingy makes your browsing experience extremely frustrating. And those Info Balloons, which keeps popping up every 5 secs...well nevermind. You can disable them atleast. Alright so anyhoo, I just went back to Spybot 1.5.2. And I got rid of AVG 8 completely and installed NOD32.

DougCuk, thanks for the info about disabling the SDHelper/Resident IE module. Fixed me right up. I might also try to switch over to 1.5 from FileHippo.

Smile

A while ago, I remember an SB version that was released and its problem was when the user started-up the SB console window. The well-known progress bar, that shows before the SB console window, wouldn't display on the monitor for like 15 to 20 seconds. Then, it would show, do the progress bar motion, and the app would run fine after that.

The SB people fixed that 'slow startup' problem rather quickly so I'm very hopeful that the problem with the new SDHelper.dll slowing IE surfing to a crawl will soon be fixed too.

This thread is now on its third page with 11 different members reporting a slowdown problem caused by SDHelper in the new v1.6 program. I just wish someone from the Spybot Team would at least let us know that this problem is being investigated.

There have been at least 4 different threads about slowdowns in IE and/or Windows Explorer that have been tracked to the SDHelper resident protection module in v1.6 - but not one official response from the Spybot Team.

The main threads are:
    Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6 (this thread)
    Windows Explorer not Working with Spybot http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31800
    Delay Opening Folders caused by IE Resident http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31559

I have two pc's showing the problem and have access to several more that do not - I have 20 years experience as a computer support tech but so far I can't work out what is triggering the slowdown problem - we need some input from the programmers here - please.

I'm running Vista 32bit and have also noticed a very slight slowing down of window explorer and a more noticable slowing of IE7 but only on certain websites,some load at as quickly as before but some are alot slower,after disabling SD IE Protection they load as normal

what does the sd-helper do that the restricted zone sites and hostsfile doesnt do? what does it really block? the same as the two others block? is the sd-helper really necessary when using the two others?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

blues:

You should already know the answer to that question based on the experience that you encountered in this thread:

The restricted zone entries do not block URLs. They restricts what those sites can do. The HOSTS file blocks certain URLs. SDHelper goes one step farther. It blocks URLs that even contain bad URLs such as the one you encountered:

Code:
    Blocked HTTP://WWW.SITEADVISOR.COM/SITES/CASALEMEDIA.COM/POSTID?P=1040343: CasaleMedia (Blacklisted URL)

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

It blocks URLs that even contain bad URLs such as the one you encountered:
    i understand it is confusing sometimes.

so you say that the sd-helper only blocks urls, and not a file that contains a rogue that i download from for example www. download.com

then i dont understand why it is called bad download blocker, if it does block only urls that hosts bad downloads but not bad downloads hosted on sites that is not blocked by the sd-helper.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

blues:

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ... so you say that the sd-helper only blocks urls, ...
    I never said that.

Originally the primary function of SDHelper appeared to be the blocking of tracking cookies. Since tracking cookies are in fact downloaded files, I assume that it is possible that is where it got the designation "Internet Explorer bad download blocker". I don't know what other files, if any, it blocks from being downloaded and I certainly would not count on it to block the indiscriminant manual downloading of files.

To see what SDHelper has blocked on your system, look in the SDHelper.log file.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-08-09 at 18:25.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

thanks for your clarifying, my sd-helper log was deleted some days ago so i dont have them, but i remember that it was only names of sites it has blocked that was in the log and nothing else.