Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6

Default SD Helper slow down, me too

Running Vista Ultimate 32 bit, IE7, Avast! (AVG 8 has printer issues in IE7), just upgraded to Spybot 1.6, and also determined when I shut off SD Helper the slowdown goes away.

I'd like to see this fixed, as I never had this issue with 1.52, and I like using the SD Helper. It's so slow it's like being on dial up now, and that just isn't acceptable. I don't want to simply shut it off.

I too registered to report this issue today, and made a seperate post prior to reading this thread..sorry 'bout that.

im having the same problem as everybody else, there is about 8 second delay on ie after updating to 1.6, can anybody tell me how i can install 1.5 again, and how to safely uninstall 1.6? thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Bunni:
    braves2007:

Besides the "SDHelper" BHO (Browser Helper Object) are you running any other BHOs?

Please note:

Quote Originally Posted by braves2007 View Post
    im having the same problem as everybody else, ...
    Not "... everybody else ...". I have a two second delay when I open new windows or tabs in Ienternet Explorer (running IE7). But I have traced it down to the interaction with my Firewall.

That is why I am trying to determine exactly the set of circumstances that causes the problem.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-08-11 at 23:41.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Nothing I haven't run before, using google toolbar, none of it creates an issue except for SD Helper. I disabled them all, and SD Helper all by itself creates the issue.

I'm Using the firewall that comes with Vista. I never had this issue at all with 1.52.
    Last edited by Bunni; 2008-08-11 at 23:57.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Bunni:

Quote Originally Posted by Bunni View Post
    ... using google toolbar, ..
    Running "google toolbar" with the "SDHelper" BHO has caused problems in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunni View Post
    ... I disabled them all, and SD Helper all by itself creates the issue. ...
    If you would, please uninstall the "google toolbar" again to make sure that it is "SDHelper" BHO alone that is causing the problem (even after a re-boot), just to make sure it is not the combination of running the "google toolbar" and "SDHelper" together that is actually causing the problem.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-08-12 at 00:27.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Spybot 1.6.0.31 not only messes with IE browser speed, but it totally hung many of my applications. Every time I would go to IE Tools, Internet Options, Delete History, the Deleting History window would hang and I could watch the little green progress bar go on for hours. Also, if I tried IE Tools, Internet Options, Browsing History Settings (in order to delete the cookies from my recent browsing activity), it would take a minimum of 10 minutes to never, trying to load the Temporary Internet Files page where the cookies are listed. The only way out of these, and also many explorer files, was to open Task Manager and End Task. A few times, when Microsoft said “do you want to report the File Not Responding Error?”, even that little popup window would hang indefinitely.
    I thought for sure I had a virus, or someone was remotely manipulating my computer. After coming to these forums and reading about the Resident SDhelper problem, I turned off that part of Spybot, and wow, my computer is mine again! I had no idea that Spybot could screw up my computer so badly.
    I sure hope they fix this in the next update.

Disabled all except SD Helper, restarted IE7, still same thing. Again, I've been using google toolbar probably since it came out, and have been using spybot forever as well. I've never had this from Spybot SD Helper.

I also disabled Acrobat PDF reader, and Sun Java, all of which were also running prior to this new version.

The delay is there only with SD Helper present. When I disable SD Helper, everything is rosy again.

md usa spybot fan - You keep implying that this problem must be caused by an interaction with another IE BHO or Addon.
    I have already disabled ALL my IE addons and the delay opening folders in Windows Explorer remains.
    I have also tried uninstalling all the addons that integrate with Windows Explorer and the delay remains.
    The only thing that switches off the delay is disabling Spybots resident SDHelper module.

I am getting really frustrated here - I have posted several times over the last two weeks requesting that we get some comment from a Team Spybot member but without ANY response - in desperation I have PM'd PepiMK asking him to look at this thread - again without any response.

To summarise several of my previous posts:
    I am seeing a 3 second delay when opening either Windows Explorer or My Computer - and this repeats on every change of folder - so flipping between folders becomes very annoying as each change has this 3 second pause. The right-hand file window remains blank during the delay. The delay only started after installing Spybot v1.6 - this delay did not exist when using Spybot v1.5.2.

Switching off the SDHelper eliminates the delay. Activating SDHelper turns the delay back on - but only for any new Windows Explorer windows - any pre-existing windows remain ok and functions without the delay.

I have two computers showing this problem both are using XP-Pro on a 3Ghz P4 with 1Gb Ram showing around 600-700k of free RAM. I run a very lean XP setup with only 22 resident processes in the Task Manager display.
    The only extras being AVG Free v8 without the LinkScanner/Toolbar or Office plugin loaded.
    The problem exists under both SP2 and SP3 and with both IE6 and IE7.
    I use the XP Firewall and have SpywareBlaster v4.1 installed.
    Disabling TeaTimer has no effect on this delay problem.
    I do not run any addon IE toolbars.

Applications installed with IE addons:
    NOTE: The delay remains even when all these addons are disabled.
    Java JRE 1.5.0_15
    Acrobat Reader v5.0.5
    Adobe Flash v9
    Apple Quicktime QTPlugin v7.1.3

Applications installed with Windows Explorer integration:
    NOTE: The delay remaims even with all these uninstalled.
    Spybot v1.6 context menu scanner
    Treesize v1.72
    Agent Ransack Search v1.73
    Winzip v6.3

Can we please get some input from the developers - I would be very happy to test any theories or fixes for this problem.

Anything else to try? If not then the only thing I can do is uninstall 1.6 and revert to 1.52 or use Firefox exclusively, which has no problem at all.

Using it as is, is very frustrating.

Could this issue please be added to the tracker so some resolution can possibly be made?
    Bunni

Running Windows Vista Ultimate Sp1 - 32 bit, 2GB DDR3 Ram