Thread: scan seems to stop before it finishes

Red face scan seems to stop before it finishes

hi,
    I sorted this problem out before I think but I had to remove zonealarm because of the recent hick up with windows ( I am using windows XP)
    I removed the windows update and downloaded Zone Alarm again but it stopped scanning when it reached ' running bot check (142484/1588580 Zlob.downloader.bs' and it seems to take ages. I also get the message that Ad Aware will interfere with Zonealarm. Do I need both?
    My sister put both on my computer because when I first had it it got infected when I was on line for only a week!!! which was a few years ago.
    Any advice would be welcome
    Oh can you make the advice in easy to understand please
    Thank you

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

water_farie:

What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy are you running (Spybot » Help » About)?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I have Spybot 1.5.2

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

water_farie:

The first thing I suggest is that you upgrade to Spybot 1.6. The scans with Spybot 1.6 run a lot quicker than with Spybot 1.5.2. That may solve your problem.

Other people have had problems while scanning Zlob.downloader.bs. See:

There is additional information in this thread:

Back in May when people were having difficult with the scan for Zlob.downloader.bs, I timed the scan for Zlob.downloader.bs and on my system it took approximately 5% of the total time of a full scan (see this post).

One method some people used to get around the problem was to exclude the scan for "Zlob.downloader.bs". To do that:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore products.
    • Locate the item that you what to exclude from the scan ("Zlob.downloader.bs") and check it.

I use Ad-Aware (the free version without Ad-Watch) and have never had a compatibility issue.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.