Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6 causes massive IE7 slowdown

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmrider View Post
    There is a reason there is a Firefox
    I have both. For me personally IE7 is faster. But this is not the point. Hopefully SDHelper.dll will soon be fixed to work properly with IE7 as before.

So looks like there's been no word on this bug?

Esteemed Member

Since reports of issues with SDHelper are extremely rare, I'd guess you have some other conflict. Do you have anything else that works as an 'add-on' to Internet Explorer, especially another anti-malware application of any sort?

If I was trouble-shooting this on my own PC, I'd first try removing any other 'extras' and then finally try resetting via the 'Reset Internet Explorer settings' button on the Advanced tab of Internet Options. This will clear all your existing IE configuration and cookie passwords of course, but it should give you a known state to trouble-shoot from.

If you discover something that conflicts with Spybot, please be sure to mention it in this thread. If that still doesn't work, I'd be looking for something deeper in the system, like leftovers of an old antivirus or something else which could cause such a low-level conflict.

Bitman

I have the following addons installed in IE: Google Toolbar, IE7pro, and the IE DevTollbar. All of these worked were installed with the previous version of Spybot and this slowing down of IE7 did not occur. It happened only after upgrading to 1.6, and none of the additional software was modified or newly installed.

I too have a problem that I have tracked to the SD Helper addon - but for me it affects only Windows Explorer.

I get a 3 second delay when opening any folders in Windows Explorer or My Computer - switching off the SD Helper (Resident IE) eliminates the delay. At first I believed it was due to me still running IE6 but an upgrade to IE7 has NOT fixed this problem on the offending computers. I have done a full undo of all protections, uninstall and reinstall of Spybot v1.6 without any change.

TeaTimer is no problem and the new Beta version is a great improvement.

I'm having the same issue with Sd helper, and in one thread there are a dozen of us who are having the issue. It's not to do with any other BHO, as the delay occurs even when SD Helper is the only BHO loaded.

Sounds like you are as frustrated as myself about this "bug".
    I just posted a query for you on another thread that you started.
    Please can you check my post at the end of this thread http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32403

Default IE6 problem with new version 1.6

I am also having big problems with vers 1.6. on my XP pro SP2, It will allow IE6 to run once after start up but not again. I also had this problem with Version 1.5
    my pc does appear to work ok when I shut down SD helper (not running tea timer at all)
    I have returned to the good old 1.4 version yet again.!!!
    There are so many threads / complaints about this problem starting from version 1.5 when is it going to be FIXED!!
    Any suggestions anyone....please

Same problem with me. Had to sign up just to post this comment after reading Bitman's comment.

I'm XP pro SP3 using IE7. There would be a 2-3 second delay after clicking a link on a webpage before anything happens. I found that Spybot's IE addon was causing the issue so I uninstalled Spybot 1.6 and installed 1.52 with the hope of upgrading once they get this sorted out. Downgrading solved the problem and the Spybot's explorer addon (helper) in 1.52 does not slow anything down.

They are going to sort this out, aren't they?
    I'm sure there are some users suffering the same problem who might be unaware that Spybot 1.6 might be the cause.
    Last edited by gamebroo; 2008-08-13 at 22:21.

Oh I was thinking that as well, so far no fix has been posted, and no responses, other than to try to make sure it is exclusively SD Helper and not in conjunction with another BHO, which I have confirmed myself. The lack of response concerns me a bit, and perhaps they need to wait for more complaints? IE7 is totally unusable for me with it running, and so I'm using Firefox for what I can til they get it sorted. If they don't soon, I'll have to revert to 1.52.
    Bunni

Running Windows Vista Ultimate Sp1 - 32 bit, 2GB DDR3 Ram