Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6 causes massive IE7 slowdown

Hello,

I tried Greyfox's test as described but it does not help.

Regards, Julian

Thanks for the test result julian81

Well this seems to cast further doubt on the only theory from Team Spybot about a cause for this problem. Removing the large Domains list used by SDHelper doesn't fix the slowdown/delay of either IE7 or Windows Explorer seen by some users of Spybot v1.6 - disabling SDHelper seems to be the only fix.

Any more members with the IE slowdown want try the test suggested in post #27 above - and report back with a result?

Julian81 has just reported in another thread that clearing the Cookies folder has solved his IE7 slowdown problem.
    See THIS post from the thread Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6

Not sure where this takes us - as I did not experience this symptom using XP.
    Clearing the Cookies folder does cure the delay seen in Windows Explorer.
    Maybe Vista reacts differently to XP.
    Last edited by DougCuk; 2008-08-18 at 13:04.

Quote Originally Posted by DougCuk View Post
    Julian81 has just reported in another thread that clearing the Cookies folder has solved his IE7 slowdown problem.
    See THIS post from the thread Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6

Not sure where this takes us - as I did not experience this symptom using XP.
    Clearing the Cookies folder does cure the delay seen in Windows Explorer.
    Maybe Vista reacts differently to XP.
    I can confirm that clearing cookies on Vista restores IE7 functionality. No more slowdown.

However, this is a workaround, not a fix. This is not normal operation, and the previous versions of Spybot worked fine with a large cache of cookies.

It appears that SDHelper has a problem with excessive numbers of cookies but expresses this in two different ways according to whether you are running XP or Vista.

Under XP you see a delay in Windows Explorer/My Computer
    Under Vista you see a delay/slowdown in the IE7 Browser

Clearing the Cookies Folder appears to cure both these problems.

As stated this is a new behaviour for Spybot v1.6 - neither problem occured under Spybot v1.5
    This really needs to be addressed by the developers.
    Last edited by DougCuk; 2008-08-21 at 00:45.

I'm also running Vista and have IE7 and can confirm that deleting cookies speeds things up

I just checked into this forum for the first time because of the IE slow down. I'm running SB1.60 on WIN2K(SP4), IE6. I've been running a SB 1.4 for a long time, no problems. Installed 1.60. Noticed an immediate and very pronounced (read dial up speeds on a cable connection) slow down even opening IE6.

Found no place to disable SB functionality in IE6 so I uninstalled SB1.60. Immediately IE6 was back to normal. Installed SB1.60 again....exact same problem again. Uninstalled SB again....and again IE6 was back to normal speeds. All download speeds appeared to be affected, not just webpages, but DL'ing anything while in IE6.

Definately appears to me to be a bug in SB1.60.
    Machine is a Vanilla Box, Intel 945 MB, 2gigs ram, 3.2 P4.
    JohnnyB

You do not mention if you checked the number of Cookies stored on your system - so far this is the only confirmed cause of the slowdown due to SDHelper. However it appears the version of Windows in use may affect the exact symptoms seen and maybe even what triggers SDHelper to misbehave in this way.

One other user with Win2K has posted that cookies did not appear to be the issue with his IE slowdown - see here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=33006
    Either we have a different cause for your SDHelper problem - or Win2K exhibits a new variant of the problem.
    Vista and XP already appear to show different symptoms when SDHelper chokes on excessive cookies.

Lightbulb

I've made an Important breakthough (in my case anyway). I disabled all my IE 7 Add-ons and then re-enabled them one by one and when I re-enabled the Java Console (latest Version), Google Toolbar (Latest version of 4.0) and something called "Research" there was instant lag on load-up, With these Add-ons disabled load-up was almost instantaneous.

If anyone else has these add-ons installed please post back here with your results.

I think we are getting closer to solving this mystery!

PS: I tried the Cookie Clearing idea and it had no effect on my Vista machine.

EDIT: The google toolbar seems to be the main culprit especialy if you have Google set as your homepage.
    Last edited by Terminator; 2008-08-23 at 16:57. Reason: Added extra info
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Smile Doug -- I posted a reply to you in another part of the forum

Doug --

I am running Windows 2000 SP4 (with all the up-to-date Micro$oft patches) (FWIW) and posted a reply to you in another section of the forum ( http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=227250&posted=1#post227250 ) in which I related my success story in overcoming the annoying Windows Explorer lag by clearing cookies in my Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106.

(I was actually doing a search on the newest TeaTimer with its animated system tray feature when I came across your post. After posting, I discovered that I had neglected to read down to the final page of that post and therefore thought you had not yet arrived at a solution.)