Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: TeaTimer CPU load after startup thoughts

I mixed that up in the .reg files as well I think

Well, anyway, changes for a new TeaTimer update:

• Balloons completely deactivated on Windows 2000 (due to Windows 2000 fading them out only after a countdown in which the user actively uses the desktop).
    • "Show balloons" setting now affecting both process & registry balloons to improve consistency.
    • Balloons disabled by default (new installations of balloon-supported TT only).
    • No more balloons for each scanned process (just the start/stop ones). While that was of interest for the very curious, it was just bothersome to most (maybe I'll add a hidden tweak for debugging purposes, but no GUI way to switch).
    • If balloons are enabled, the "Scanning new processes..." one will have a second line of text pointing at where it can be disabled again.

This ends in even less information compared to 1.5 shown (aka less irritation) by default since registry change balloons are disabled by default as well.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Patrick (PepiMK):

re:
    Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    • Balloons completely deactivated on Windows 2000 (due to Windows 2000 fading them out only after a countdown in which the user actively uses the desktop).
    • "Show balloons" setting now affecting both process & registry balloons to improve consistency.
    • Balloons disabled by default (new installations of balloon-supported TT only).

If you intend on disabling balloons on Windows 2000, combining the control of all balloons including "registry balloons" into the "Show balloons" setting and disabling the display of balloons by default, I disagree.

TeaTimer has two (2) distinct functions:
    1. TeaTimer Processes Monitor.
    2. TeaTimer Registry Monitor.

Many users of TeaTimer check "Remember this decision" on registry changes not realizing it affects future registry changes and quite a few have indicated that they thought it provided a backup of registry changes. I suggest that you return the displays for registry changes to the original display methodology or at least separate the displaying of information balloons within TeaTimer into two categories.

I believe that display information for the Registry Monitor function within TeaTimer is vital. I implore you not to combine the information displays for these two entirely different functions into one "Show balloons" setting and then disable it by default.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Unhappy

Patrick (PepiMK):

I agree completely with md usa spybot fan about the balloons being needed for the Teatimer Registry monitor function. In normal circumstances registry changes would not occur in such a quantity that the related balloons should be considered an irritation, and it is important to know when these are being "automatically" accepted or rejected because of white or black listing.

To be frank, if these are to be discontinued because some have voiced their irritation about the balloons, I would prefer to see the notication returned to the method used in "pre balloon" versions.

Please reconsider

PS: Can your "maybe I'll add a hidden tweak for debugging purposes" be made a definite?

Oh, normal and unnormal... we just had that... nobody here complained about the process popups as well Looking back through some mail history, there were quite a few who were confused by these popups, more than expected. And you may remember the stacking issue (old balloons) with some half-removed malware? Pros can always use the log to check for changes if the want.

The old balloons were something I indeed already thought about. It's needs some thought as well though... just imagine you would have balloons shown and use /verbose to have more details in the log (that "maybe" is now /verbose as a command line parameter). Scanning three dozen processes when starting TeaTimer would fill the whole screen with balloons...

Here's a preview of what's planed for Wednesday (old balloons back on W2k, ok, ok, ok... ):
    http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/b...e-1.6.2.23.zip
    (link updated!)

If you want to switch from the default (Windows balloons for XP or later, old balloons for everyhting earlier), take regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safer Networking Limited\SpybotSnD\TeaTimer\, and set InfoBalloonMode (REG_DWORD) to 0 (none), 1 (old) or 2 (new), overriding the default based on the OS version.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Question

PepiMK

In XP using InfoBalloonMode=2 invariably the confirmation of a registry change balloon is hidden behind a previous Scanning new processes balloon. What is missing is a option (mode) to have confirmation of registry change balloons (arguably of value) enabled, but the Scanning new processes balloon (arguably of doubtful value, given the active icon) disabled, which is the way the previous beta worked with the balloons turned off via the right click option.

Can this be changed, or an InfoBalloonMode=3 added which gives the display of confirmation balloons only?

Default Teatimer bug CPU 100%

Hello I Am a Newbie on this forum

I just recieved a message that a new version of teatimer is available but can't find it TeaTimer version 1.6.1.23.

Anyone know where to download this?

Having trouble with Spybot 1,6 on two PC's running at 100% by teatimer.
    Both XP Pro SP2 and SP3 same result.

With regards

Hello,

You will get it here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default New Teatimer allright

Thank you Sandra

I can say that after a initial 100% occupation by the new TeaTimer version 1.6.1.23. the PC stabilised at a low level and seems to run allright now.

It's running on a XP PRo with SP3

So the problem seems to be solved

With regards

Default TT 'update' 2008-08-20 falsely pre-selected?

In reference to an odd pre-selected update (for me anyway, perhaps for others who manually updated TT to v1.6.2.23). The momentary tooltip info is hard to capture or get further info on for me - I deselected this item last week and manually upgraded via this link to the more recent v1.6.2.23 - it really does appear to be a falsely preselected version 'upgrade' (indeed, an earlier-for-me version 1.6.1.0 after manually downloading, extracting and examining teatimer161.exe with FileAlyzer). TT v1.6.2.23 works fine for me, like the animation .

Usually I trust the pre-selections to be accurate, but best to check perhaps - I have no idea if TT would have been automatically 'updated' to an older version if I hadn't unchecked the pre-selected 'update'. Oh well, all seems fine - possibly the more recent version was not detected(?) as it was a manual 'install'. Another possibility is that TT has not been checked as 'active' on the SSD/Tools/Resident page (I prefer to enable it as a 'load-on-demand' via shortcut at the moment, although it does seem to be well-behaved with the minimal default settings).
    Last edited by ME_2&; 2008-08-27 at 18:43. Reason: hopefully not *too* off-topic for original subject!

Not just an XP problem. I'm running Vista Home Premium on AMD Turion X2 with 4Gig RAM and have had to disable TT in startup because after a re-boot it takes about 10miniutes for TT to settle down from using 50% of CPU. Not to mention the Hard Drive time it's hogging (not helped being a 5400rpm laptop hard drive).

Although, I have found disabling the start-up of un-necessary 'Audio controller, Adobe Reader-Quick-starter....etc etc.....and all the other un-used crap that loads into the task bar significantly reduces the lengh of time of the TT resource hog after boot up. Takes it down to about 3 miniutes. I suppose it's got less to scan then.

I going to re-enable them one by one to see if any in particular causes the TT to hog for so long.