Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: TeaTimer CPU load after startup thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    snrcfan:

This thread is about problems encountered with the Spybot 1.6 version of TeaTimer (TeaTimer 1.6.0.20) and the measures taken to correct those problems including the development of a beta addition of TeaTimer (TeaTimer 1.6.0.21):

I suggest that you upgrade to Spybot 1.6, download and install the beta version of TeaTimer and see if that has alleviated your concerns.
    I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear, but I have downloaded and tried the new version(and patch). I uninstalled it after some preliminary testing due to my need to validate and test before permanent use. That was why I put "(for now)" at the end of my post. My concern was with the continued memory demand I noticed during my briief experiment. I was trying to ascertain whether or not there would be any future possibilty of reduced resident memory usage. As it is now, whenever I need to free up memory, I unload TT until the next reboot and I was hoping that the new version would not require this. The new version is a definite improvement over the old, but not enough to warrent an immediate upgrade.

As an example, could TT be split into a startup process that does the initial work and a permant/resident process that only looks for changes?
    Last edited by snrcfan; 2008-08-01 at 20:23.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    snrcfan:

This thread is about problems encountered with the Spybot 1.6 version of TeaTimer (TeaTimer 1.6.0.20) and the measures taken to correct those problems including the development of a beta addition of TeaTimer (TeaTimer 1.6.0.21):

I suggest that you upgrade to Spybot 1.6, download and install the beta version of TeaTimer and see if that has alleviated your concerns.
    I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear, but I have downloaded and tried the new version(and patch). I uninstalled it after some preliminary testing due to my need to validate and test before permanent use. That was why I put "(for now)" at the end of my post. My concern was with the continued memory demand I noticed during my briief experiment. I was trying to ascertain whether or not there would be any future possibilty of reduced resident memory usage. As it is now, whenever I need to free up memory, I unload TT until the next reboot and I was hoping that the new version would not require this. The new version is a definite improvement over the old, but not enough to warrent an immediate upgrade.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

snrcfan:

Since memory usage of TeaTimer seems to be your concern even with TeaTimer 1.6.0.20, have you attempted to experiment with the registry tweaks included with the beta download (TeaTimer-beta-1.6.1.21.zip) to see if they alleviate your concern?

When you download TeaTimer-beta-1.6.1.21.zip and extract the files, there are three (3) .reg files that can be used to alter the memory usage of TeaTimer:
    • TeaTimer-scanmode_default.reg
    • TeaTimer-scanmode_fast_but_more_memory_req
    • TeaTimer-scanmode_slow.reg

Have you attempted to experiment with those registry tweaks and what were the results?

There are posts in this thread concerning those registry tweaks. Among them are:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Tried all three

Yes I tried all three. Fast is unusable for me (too much thrashing). I'm not saying that I can't use TT, just that it seems to need more resident memory than I would expect. I accept that the biggest limitation here is the amount of memory on my system and not TT itself, its just that as an old programmer I know that today few programs consider memory to be anything but abundant.

I know you are trying to help me, but we seem to be getting off into a diagnostic discussion. All I really need right now is to know when the new TT is intergrated into the V1.6 download so I can begin testing and validating SS&D V1.6. (No beta allowed!). The memory issue is really for the developers to consider for possible future improvements.

I thank you for your kind try at assistance but I think at this time I will end this and wait for TT to come out of beta.
    Last edited by snrcfan; 2008-08-01 at 21:14.

Lightbulb thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post

The accept/deny panel (see attached screen shot) comes up roughly in the middle of the display and is not affected by whether the "show info balloons" is ticked or not, that only stops the display of the Teatimer scanning process information.
    You misunderstood,

What i am saying is, when i allow or deny a change, the box that used to appear in the bottom right hand corner stating what action was taken on the change is now gone. Not the allow/deny change box, The box that said user decision or whitelist AFTER you had allowed/denied a change. It appeared above the clock. And i had thought that the notification balloon was to replace the small box. Hopefully everyone can understand that....Also i hope pepimk sees my other posts...and doesn't miss them.....anyway's, i didn't try the registry tweaks yet, just the debug log one, so that the log can show where any problems might lye, i just copied the new teatimer over and replaced the old one.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-08-01 at 21:45.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    You misunderstood,

What i am saying is, when i allow or deny a change, the box that used to appear in the bottom right hand corner stating what action was taken on the change is now gone. Not the allow/deny change box, The box that said user decision or whitelist AFTER you had allowed/denied a change. It appeared above the clock. And i had thought that the notification balloon was to replace the small box
    That is indeed what happens - after one allows or denies the change the details appear in a balloon, and this will occur even if the show info balloon is not ticked - ie that setting only applies to the scanning info balloons. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the balloon to appear in a screen shot as yet - My old faithful screen shot utility is letting me down.

Lightbulb ah ok :)

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    That is indeed what happens - after one allows or denies the change the details appear in a balloon, and this will occur even if the show info balloon is not ticked - ie that setting only applies to the scanning info balloons. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the balloon to appear in a screen shot as yet - My old faithful screen shot utility is letting me down.
    Glad were on the same page now haha. I just find it odd because i have not seen any notification or anything after i allow/deny a change....

And also: I wanted to let you know that the only issues i found, were that when allowing or denying a change, it still takes 100% cpu usage, and when i click allow it takes about 2 seconds to register the click. Otherwise, it works great!

Greyfox,

ac'tivaid is quite useful for making screenshots (and other stuff).

And also: I wanted to let you know that the only issues i found, were that when allowing or denying a change, it still takes 100% cpu usage, and when i click allow it takes about 2 seconds to register the click.
    2 seconds after allowing appears to be a bit too long. I have rechecked this with the System Startup and I don't get any noteable lag from Teatimer after allowing/denying. But before Teatimer shows its allow/deny dialog a little time is required for checking the file added to the System Startup (thus the CPU load). Where exactly do your observation occur?
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Thumbs up

Yodama,

Thank you for the link - I have opted to go for the moment with the portable version of Activaid (En) which I have installed on a USB flashdrive I keep handy utilities on. At this stage I have only setup the screen shot option, and it works very nicely - I can even capture the bubbles now!

Edit: On my PC, the close of the allow/deny dialogue on clicking on allow is virtually instantaneous and the bubble come up almost immediately as well - the delay would be small parts of a second.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-08-04 at 11:46.

Lightbulb thanks for the reply yodama

i was just about to post today, when i noticed that now it does not do it anymore........very weird. The allow/deny box was about a registry change i allowed to delete java from my startup.....in any case, now when i get the allow/deny box it does not take 2 seconds anymore. So i guess its fixed....weird but oh well....hasn't done it again yet.....

I still do not see any notification balloon or anything suggesting my change was accepted.....
    even though i know it was...
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-08-05 at 02:31.