Thread: Recovering after *MY* mistake

Angry Recovering after *MY* mistake

In my office I have 2) ‘puters.

On the desktop I had (as in past tense), Spybot set up to perfection (for my use).

I had the docked piece of Dell laptop (standard mode) and the desktop (advanced mode) turned on with both programs up and running, so I could tweak the standard mode to exactly the way I had on my desktop.

Changed the standard mode laptop to advanced and (tried) to duplicate the setting.

BIG MISTAKE!

Now I have 2) Spybot programs that are not set like I had them.
    One is called plain ol “Spybot”, and the other is “Spybot (default)”.

Can anyone puhlease tell me if it is possible to restore my original settings on the advanced mode desktop, and get RID of the duplicated program?

My settings I thought I had changed to advanced mode on the docked laptop are now back to standard mode as well.
    Can this be repaired, or do I need to uninstall and re-install?

It's WAY too late to do a System Restore, if that's what any potential, nice, helpful person can use.

Any replies are ….. Very Much Appreciated.

Groucho

Desktop...Windows XP Home w/SP-3
    Laptop...Windows XP Pro w/SP-3

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

groucho:

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you have two (2) of. Is it just the shortcuts pointing to SpybotSD.exe? If so just delete the one.

If not, you’ll have to explain:

Quote Originally Posted by groucho View Post
    ... Changed the standard mode laptop to advanced and (tried) to duplicate the setting. ...
    If by "… (tried) to duplicate the setting.", you mean that you looked at one system and then changed the corresponding entry on the other system and encountered a problem, just try again.

On the other hand, if you had the two systems linked together and were coping files from one system to the other, I suggest that you uninstall and reinstall and then setup the second system like the first by going into Advanced Mode and change the setting you would like to change.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Sorry for the late response..been sick

Thanks for the reply and I apologize for the late response….. been Very ill.

If by "… (tried) to duplicate the setting.", you mean that you looked at one system and then changed the corresponding entry on the other system and encountered a problem, just try again.

Yes: That’s exactly what I did.
    The primary problem is...I don't have a tweaked to the max, advanced mode Program left any longer.

Nope: My 2) ‘puters are not networked…on purpose.

And lastly: That’s one of my Main Issues.
    Can I recover the way I had it set up prior to my latest escapade in Advanced Mode?

Both versions on the Desktop are shown in add/remove > control panel, so deleting either or is no problem…..BUT…..They are both back to Normal Mode and it took me hours to get the 1st advanced program tweaked exactly like I wanted it.

Much Faster scans and thorough enough for me.

The duplicated Spybot Programs on my desktop that I tried to copy from are:
    Plain ol Spybot – Search & Destroy at 43.8MB (and)
    Spybot – Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20 at 17.02MB.

In properties (odd) it indicates they were both installed on the same day I fubared everything.

NO WAY!

I've been using this for years.

Still needing help on recovery if any other members have any suggestions, the time and patience.

Thanks all!

Groucho

groucho:

The default installation directory for Spybot is:
    • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Do you have another one someplace else also or is it that you just have two (2) entries in Add/Remove programs?

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile Thanks md and anyone else who cares to chime in, Please...

Do you have another one someplace else also or is it that you just have two (2) entries in Add/Remove programs?
    Nope.

There's only 1) shown in my non partitoned Hard Drive at --> C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy ....on the desktop.

In both Start > Programs there are 2) copies, and the same in Add/Remove programs from the Control Panel.

I suspect all I need to do is delete that smaller one named: Spybot S&D (default)......Then just uninstall and reinstall the really jacked up one on my laptop.

On the laptop it's just one fubared program I think (??)

Opinions (or) advice still much appreciated!

Groucho

groucho:

To eliminate the second entry in Add/Remove programs see the following thread: