Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uninstall problem

Thanks, Got it.
    Will try to unninstall now. Will let you know how it goes.

Greyfox
    No go unfortunatly.
    "unnins000.dat could not be opened" is all I get.
    Anything else I can try?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Jez650:

Do you still have the unnins000.dat file in following directory?
    • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I do still have that file, but it is in D: drive, as C: is full.

Unhappy

I Still have no resolution to this problem, nothing seems to be working
    is there anything else I might try..
    Anyone...

Smile

So if I understand correctly, Spybot was not installed in the default directory but on drive D:. There is always a risk in doing this and to be honest I don't have any experience in what happens if you do this with Spybot.

If all else fails you may have to use brute force to remove it - by that I mean manually deleting all of its folders, and then trying to clean out the registry entries. Again this is not without risk.

Normally in XP Spybot has folder in C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy, and another in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\spybot - Search & Destroy. You would have to find where these are and delete them manually, but before doing so make sure you un-immunise and disable teatimer and the browser helper.

You would then have to try to clean up the registry. Again normally you could use the very small fix from http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html but I don't know whether this would work in your situation.

I wouldn't recommend using a registry cleaner unless you are already very conversant with using this type of program, and know how much damage they can do if you don't use them properly.

Perhaps before going down this road you should see whether anyone else can recommend a better or less drastic approach.

Edit: If you do decide to take the above approach, please back up all of your critical data first.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-07-22 at 11:08.

Greyfox
    Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
    As my C: drive was already full and I was unable move the partition to create more room, I had it install to D:, along with alot of other programs that I have not had problems with.
    Thinking about how Spybot works, it probbaly was not a cleaver thing to do...
    As to your sugestion to go in and manually delete files, do you mean go into the program and delete them individually? If so, this is somthing I have tried, and it still would not let me, either access or delete... same message keeps coming up.
    Thanks again for your help, and if you think of anything else I might try, Please let me know.
    Jez

Just a thought. Could Norton have any affect, does it infiltrate itself into something like Spybot?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Jez650:

Back to basics. What Windows OS are you running?

Does the old version of Spybot that you were replacing still work? If so, what version of Spybot were you running (Spybot » Help » About).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

More back to basics
    did you ever have an earlier version on Drive C?

I had a similar problem before and had to run small fix on both partitions
    since one had been deleted I had to set up a dummy path

even after removing both versions with Add remove programs as I had two instances of Spybot there

do what MD_USA_SPYBOT FAN says-