Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubles when I'm trying open some files!!

Default Troubles when I'm trying open some files!!

When I try to open a file (an image for example), it opens the Spybot-S&D Scanner instead of opening the file.

Here are some screenshots about my problem...

Program Version: 1.6

Thanks

Looks like you instructed Spybot-SD to integrate the scanner function into the Explorer menu. This only happens when you right-click on a file. You only get the result (second screenshot) when you chosen 'Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy' in the right click menu.

Have you 'left-clicked' the file on the mouse? If you had and there's still a problem, I think you should check the mouse configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Looks like you instructed Spybot-SD to integrate the scanner function into the Explorer menu. This only happens when you right-click on a file. You only get the result (second screenshot) when you chosen 'Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy' in the right click menu.

Have you 'left-clicked' the file on the mouse? If you had and there's still a problem, I think you should check the mouse configurations.
    The second screenshot shows what happens when I right-click on a file because "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" looks in bold... that's my problem :(.

I think I must reinstall Spybot-S&D... what do you think about this?

Hello,

I do not know what language it is...but on the first screenshot don't you have an option "open"?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

I do not know what language it is...but on the first screenshot don't you have an option "open"?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    The language is spanish... .

The word "Abrir" means "Open" in english

Have you try using the 'Abrir' option in the right-click menu?

If I'm understanding correctly, your problem is the second screenshot? What happens to be the problem? Is it the font? Or is it the window?

Lightbulb usaully this occurs in windows 98

when a right click menu option is accidentally selected as the main option. So then when opening any file, whatever right click menu took over that is what the action is done when opened. This is a bug in windows 98 that was never fully corrected, and i to experienced this from time to time when i ran windows 98. Some programs end up confusing windows 98 with the right click menu and placing it in the wrong places in the menu, causing some options to be the first option other then open. So, in short, i recommend a complete removal of spybot to solve the problem.

Read all directions here to completely remove:

http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

Then restart your computer and download the newest version and install it.

If this does not solve the problem, check mouse properties in control panel, along with the file associations in windows and make sure they are correct.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-07-23 at 22:37.

Default here describes more info on this problem:

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/...icks_0999.html

" How do I open the same file type with different programs?
    When you double-click on a file, the associated application automatically opens the file. This is great if that's the application you want. But what if you want to open a file with a different application than the default? Or some weird program took over and your files are not opening correctly? You've probably seen the Open With that appears when you click on a file whose file type is unknown. This dialog lets you pick any application on the system to open the file. But how do you get to this dialog for a file with a default application association? For example, if you have an html on your Desktop, double-clicking will open your Web browser. What if you just wanted to open the file with Notepad to make a small edit? Click the file icon once to select it, then Shift+right-click it. Open With will now appear in the context menu. (I don't know why this useful option isn't on the standard right-click context menu!) If you want the application you've chosen to open all files of this type, just select the "Always use this program to open this file" checkbox before you hit the OK button."

Then that way you can always choose to have windows open the file. Instead of spybot right click scanner. This might be an easier way to fix this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    If this does not solve the problem, check mouse properties in control panel, along with the file associations in windows and make sure they are correct.
    Yep, I would agree and I would have said the same. However, I'm not sure how reinstall might resolve the problem since Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 is already installed as indicated by the Spybot-SD scanner in the right-click menu.

Default Well if he uninstalls..........

spybot, it will remove the scanner from the right click menu along with the spybot program. When he reinstalls spybot, the right click menu scanner should be in the right place hopefully. Usually when i experienced this problem with 98, if i reinstalled whatever program caused it, it then worked correctly.