Thread: should cookies be deleted by Spybot 1.4 if not excluded?

Question should cookies be deleted by Spybot 1.4 if not excluded?

Hello, I love all the tunables in the new 1.4 release. Have hit an odd thing however. I used the Ignore Cookies setting to check Cookies I want to keep. Then I ran a scan. I expected all the cookies that were in the list that were NOT selected would be listed as bad so I could okay Deleting them.

This did not happen. No cookies were identified as candidates for deletion, and when I went back to Ignore Cookies, all the settings were as I wished them to be, and all the cookies I wanted gone were still unchecked, ie. waiting to be scanned and deleted.

I am assuming the cookies I don't want, that are UNchecked, do exist on my system, right? Or else why would 1.4 identify them if they are not resident?

So how do I delete them without using another product like Ashampoo?
    thanx for the help, dudes and dudettes. MidniteSkulker

If you have Spybot set to Spyware check only,then only tracking cookies are removed.These show in the ignore cookies list and after you do a scan in Spybot
    in the colour red.
    To remove non-tracking cookies(except the ones you have checked to be ignored),you have to set Spybot to scan for tracks.
    To get Spybot to scan for tracks,you can click settings,then filesets,then put a check beside Usage Tracking.After that,you can put a check beside cookies to remove the non-tracking cookies.

Question Unexpected benefits but still not resolved

Thank you Zenobia. I did as you said, and reran Spybot 1.4. Of course many new results this time. Getting Usage Tracks now means I am in over my head. I could tell what SOME things were for, and cautiously left many, and purged 91, such as Backup text files and History tracking for Media Player and Real Player, which I don't need and no one else needs either !! LOL.

But the cookie situation is unresolved. It showed this time that there were cookies found but did not itemize them as in your previous release levels. After 'Cookies' in the results page, there was a [52] which I assumed meant 52 candidates for deletion. But I didn't purge them since I didn't know if I wanted to keep some, such as Amazon order info, etc. So this is not the solution I seek.

I also ran Ashampoo anti-spyware and got a list of 22 cookies that I don't want, but I didn't use that utility to scrub them. I wanted Spybot to find them and scrub them.

So I need further direction. I want itemized Cookies to pick and choose to kill. I have read previous posts on this forum on this topic [couldn't find hardly anything] and I did read your Tutorial on cookies, and understand you want us to manage them thru IE6 Tools etc. That being said, what else can we do? I LOVE THAT you give me an itemized list in the IGNORE COOKIES to pick and choose which ones for future termination. I just haven't found how to purge the ones I didn't exclude from the purging
    thanks to any Advisors or Users who can guide me.
    Midniteskulker

Exclamation also, wha?????

Zenobia,
    what did you mean by "After that,you can put a check beside cookies to remove the non-tracking cookies."
    Where? In the results page after scanning? There were no itemized to check to kill. In some field in some other tunable?
    Midniteskulker

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

skulker:

If you are going to delete selective cookies with Spybot, you should first go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore cookies. A list of the individual cookies present will be presented for you to ignore if you so choose. Then if you scan with "Usage tracking" (see Note #1 below) the item detected will not list individual cookies. It says:
    • Cookie
      If you expand that Item (+ sign in front of the item) you will see something like:
      • Cookie (xxx)
        Internet Explorer (username): Cookie

Where the xxx is the number of cookies found.

If you check the Cookie item and then "Fix selected problems" all the cookies will be deleted excluding those that you check in "Ignore cookies".

Note #1:
    If you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Settings > File Sets, the last two items are "Usage Tracks" and should only be checked if you want to check for them (I personally don't). The first of these two items ("Usage Tracking") lists IE Cache (temporary internet files), Common Dialogs, Cookies and some Logs during a scan.

To purge Internet Explorer cache (temporary internet files) and cookies, I personally use IE Privacy Keeper by BrowserTools.net
    http://www.browsertools.net/index.html

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Yes,sorry.I meant in the results page after scanning.After you checkmark usage tracks,you should get a green cookie listing,after scanning.They won't show up itemized,if you click the + sign next to cookies,it will just tell you how many cookies are going to be removed.That's why you checkmark the cookies you want to to be ignored in the 'Ignore Cookies'section,so you don't lose them.

Tracking cookies will still show up as red.

If you find so many tracks being found confusing,go back to file sets,remove the checkmark from beside tracks.uti,and leave the checkmark beside Usage Tracking,and only a couple usage tracks will be found by Spybot after a scan.(Like Cache,Common Dialogs,Cookie,Logs.),and anything you would like not to remove or aren't sure about removing,then don't put a checkmark beside it.
    And here's more about tracks:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/d...agetracks.html

Default OK I think I got it

OK Zenobia you confirmed my suspicion. The [52] in my results are the 'bad' cookies added-up that I wish to delete. Because I already did the Advanced Cookie tuning both you and the other Advisor restated.

So I'll purge them since you found far more than the 22 that Ashampoo [trial period] found.

I won't purge any Advanced tunable results if I don't understand what they are. If the brain police come for my pc, I'll purge everything, reformat, throw it in the river.

Midniteskulker

"It is no mark of intelligence to be able to prove whatever one pleases.
    But to be able to discern what is true as true and what is false as
    false - this is the mark and character of intelligence".

"It is utterly useless for you to know many things if you do not live by
    what you know. For knowledge has no other purpose than that you may
    become spiritual through it". TCR406

Emanuel Swedenborg, scientist, philosopher, seer, theologian

[so be careful what you are determined to believe is true,
    and faithful to live the way your spirit, intuition and conscience are coaching you]
    Last edited by skulker; 2006-03-23 at 06:48.

Hmmm...I should of thrown my computer in the river a long time ago.:D
    Glad you got everything with the cookies all sorted out.