Thread: Glitchy Interface in Spybot 1.6

Talking Glitchy Interface in Spybot 1.6

I use Windows 98 Second Edition because I am old-school and I wanted to report to you that the interface is glitchy in Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6. I have a dual-boot with Windows 98 Second Edition in Fat32 File System and XP Professional in NFTS File System on 2 seperate hard drives. I am currently running Windows 98 Second Edition again because I am trying to prove to Microsoft and the world that Windows 98 Second Edition has internal safety protocols compared to the external safety protocols of Windows 2000, XP and Vista. It would be 98 Second Edition first for me with the 9x kernel, then Windows 2000 Professional since it looks old-school like 98 Second Edition although it is the business NT (New Technology) type, then XP Professional/Home, and finally Vista. However, if you are a road warrior then I would suggest 98 Second Edition first followed by Vista for which I did beta security testing for it for Microsoft just as a volunteer. It was super fun. Have a nice day.

Lightbulb glitchy how?

I would like some more information and more detail so that we can understand the problem.

Default Glitchy

After, I installed it and then tried to run it, I could not read any of the text in the beginning announcements. It was a big blurry graphic. After, I got to the main interface, then it worked. I quickly removed Spybot for safety and security reasons and documented that there was no error message when removing it from 98 Second Edition.

Lightbulb I think.......

you are talking about the temporary files dialog box that appears when you start spybot? If not i am sorry but i guess i am not understanding. Please wait for a team member to help you if this link is not what you are talking about. See here: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...86&postcount=4
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-07-24 at 20:27.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dew753 View Post
    I use Windows 98 Second Edition because I am old-school and I wanted to report to you that the interface is glitchy in Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6. I have a dual-boot with Windows 98 Second Edition in Fat32 File System and XP Professional in NFTS File System on 2 seperate hard drives. I am currently running Windows 98 Second Edition again because I am trying to prove to Microsoft and the world that Windows 98 Second Edition has internal safety protocols compared to the external safety protocols of Windows 2000, XP and Vista. It would be 98 Second Edition first for me with the 9x kernel, then Windows 2000 Professional since it looks old-school like 98 Second Edition although it is the business NT (New Technology) type, then XP Professional/Home, and finally Vista. However, if you are a road warrior then I would suggest 98 Second Edition first followed by Vista for which I did beta security testing for it for Microsoft just as a volunteer. It was super fun. Have a nice day.
    I'm with you on WIN98SE and have tried 2000 and XP and prefer 98SE. I am a retired programmer and appreciate certain things that have been lost in the newer OP's. The few things that 98SE is lacking can be acquired by adding other applications.

As far as your post I have found on my 98SE system only that the SB 1.6.0.30 application interface flashes a blank screen before it displays properly.

I am happy to report that the problem I had with SB1.5.0.20 when shutting down is resolved in SB1.6. For some reason SB1.5.20 would crash w/ a fatal error on shutdown if Teatimer was running. It would appear that there was some kind of code problem when the OS attempted to exit the Teatimer application on shutdown and failed to stop the teatimer process adequately.

The major irritation I have with SB1.6 is that I can only run the Updater from the Short cut window of Teatimer (which is my problem due to lack of resources). If I try to run the Updater executable directly from the SB1.6 interface it will fail because of lack of resources (which again I admittedly am lacking). I could probably access the updater program with the main application window if I stopped Teatimer but haven't tried that yet (the current teatimer uses a lot more CPU than older versions).

One other irritation would be how SB1.6 (and past versions as well) trap errors. For example the Updater program was renamed something else as of SB1.5 and for users upgrading from any versions older than SB1.5 and they have a Firewall (which nearly all would have) then the program crashes rather than giving an appropriate message. Also if the user does not have a Proxy setup the Updater will crash without an appropriate message explaining why as well.

Just thought I'd let you know that I appreciate other 98SE users.

Default Spybot 1.6

I actually do not use TeaTimer. I use everything but TeaTimer. The blurry graphics happen when you start up spybot search and destroy 1.6. Can you please enlighten me what program to use to catch the blurry graphic and then send it to you because I have no idea. Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Dew753 View Post
    I actually do not use TeaTimer. I use everything but TeaTimer. The blurry graphics happen when you start up spybot search and destroy 1.6. Can you please enlighten me what program to use to catch the blurry graphic and then send it to you because I have no idea. Thanks for your response.

When you have the graphic on the screen press "alt+Print screen" which will load the graphic into the clipboard.

At this point you can simply paste the graphic into word as long as the file size in not more than 19.5 KB and attach the word document

or

You can also use a utility application to save it as a gif file. You can simply use Windows Paint (in accessories) to "paste" the graphic into the application (edit > paste) and allow to enlarge. Then save the graphic as a gif. You may have to "downsize" the file size to meet the attachment requirement of this forum.

Once you've done that then post here in the forum attaching the graphic file by using the "clip" option above. Note: the gif file cannot be larger than 19.5 KB and 620 W and 280 H.

Hope this helps.

Red face

Oh and I spoke to soon, teatimer does give me problems if I use the main spybot interface at anytime. But as you say that's not related to your issue I just thought I'd better clarify since I jumped to conclusions to soon.

Default Microsoft needs a new source code and Spybot buggy

Thanks for your reply. I have started a new debate about whether or not Microsoft needs a new source code and certain MVP's are quite upset as well as Steve Riley, MSFT. I seemed to have shaken everyone out of their small little world of comfort and no one except Chris Quirke, MVP is happy about it. The Defense Community is also happy since new ideas are good and it shows that people are committed to the importance of internal safety compared to external security but Steve Riley of Microsoft and quite a few MVP's experts on security do not seem willing or able to accept that there Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista may somehow be faulty by relying fully on external security and not being committed to the internal safety of 9x and 98 Second Edition.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I will follow your advice and try and copy and paste the graphic with Word. Thanks for being a retired programmer who supports me. It seems like not to many people do in this fight except a small minority but I am very stubborn and may change my ideas as new information becomes available to me but my theme will stay the same. Take Care and Thanks for the Support.

Esteemed Member

What "internal safety of 9x and 98 Second Edition"? These OS were never designed to be placed on the Internet, so there was absolutely no thought made to security at all for either of these OS. I don't want to start a rant fest here, so just point me to the forum where this is being discussed, I'll read your comments there to bring myself up to speed on the discussion.

As for your issues with the startup screen in Spybot, if I had to guess it would be outdated support for fonts or graphics in the old OS, or more likely your video drivers. There are known issues with the 9x OS family in regards to the PNG graphics used for the Spybot S&D icons, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were other similar issues with other parts of the program.

Bitman