Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&d 1.5.20

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    be on as administrator privileges, To make the "Run As Administrator" command Permanent right Click the Desktop Shortcut and go to: Properties => Application Compatibility => "Run As Administrator"

That way spybot will always run as administrator.

I am glad you were able to download and install it correctly. You are not a bother, asking questions helps you to learn!

Thanks.
    When you say "Click the Desktop Shortcut," do you mean click on the SpyBot icon (on the desktop)?
    I right-clicked on the SpyBot 1.6 icon and then clicked Properties. I clicked on Compatibility and then saw at the bottom: "Privelege Level" and "Run this program as an administratr."
    Is that the box I should check?
    (Just don't want to foul anything up.)
    Thanks
    Alice
    Vista Home Premium sp1 / IE7 / Toshiba Satellite notebook 3GB Ram / 250GB HD / Defender / AVG 8 / SpyBot S&D 1.6 / SpyWare Blaster

If Spybot-Search&Destory was successfully installed, then yes to answer your question. Also to clarify, the setup file for Spybot is the .exe file itself, the one you downloaded from one of the mirrors.

I hope 129260's step-by-step instructions cleared your doubt.

Default yes

that is correct

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    It looks like it's located in 'Settings' > 'Languages'. I only have English. What other languages are listed on your Spybot?

The problem is that I can't seem to remove them, as English is the only entry that is listed. When I clicked on it, it redirects me to the main window.

Can you try upgrading, as it doesn't hurt to see if the languages are gone . However, if you take the extra step tiger2 I would suggest you uninstall version 1.5.2.20 and go with a fresh install (1.6.0.30; to see if this resolves the problem).

I would suggest you follow these steps for a clean install to avoid any possible problems/errors:

Run Spybot-SD in Advanced Mode.
    Disable TeaTimer and SDHELPER.
    Undo the immunization.
    Uninstall Spybot-SD.
    Reboot.
    Download the small fix directly to the desktop and right click 'Merge'.

Download Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 and install it.
    Was just re-reading this posting and looking at my S&D. I can see where to UNDO the Immunization. But, can't see where to "Disable Tea Timer (don't believe I activated this on install)" and "Disable "SDHELPER."
    Where might I find those two?
    Also, still a bit confused about the "small fix" file and the MERGE. Is that absolutely necessary when/if S&D needs to be uninstalled?
    Thanks for all your kind help.

Alice
    Vista Home Premium sp1 / IE7 / Toshiba Satellite notebook 3GB Ram / 250GB HD / Defender / AVG 8 / SpyBot S&D 1.6 / SpyWare Blaster

It is not absolutely necessary to use the "small fix" but it "reduces" the chance of you encountering when you upgrade, not really necessary in my eyes. It would be more like a fresh install.

To "disable" Spybot's Resident Shields run it in Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident. You can untick them both. Reboot>run the small fix and upgrade.

For Vista,you can rightclick the Spybot icon,select Run As Administrator,then click Mode->Advanced Mode(please click Yes to the prompt)->Tools->Resident to see Resident "SDHelper" and Resident "Teatimer".

No,the very small fix .reg file is not necessarily essential when/if Spybot needs to be uninstalled,unless you're having problems uninstalling.If no problems uninstalling,using the very small fix is up to you.

Sneaking up on me again,eh,drragostea?
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2008-08-20 at 00:11.

It is not absolutely necessary to use the "small fix" but it "reduces" the chance of you encountering when you upgrade, not really necessary in my eyes. It would be more like a fresh install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    No,the very small fix .reg file is not necessarily essential when/if Spybot needs to be uninstalled,unless you're having problems uninstalling.If no problems uninstalling,using the very small fix is up to you.
    Exactly the same definition, but just worded differently. And a 6 minute difference. No, Zenobia I wouldn't be sneaking up on you unless I was on the "Who's Online" page too .

To "disable" Spybot's Resident Shields run it in Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident. You can untick them both. Reboot>run the small fix and upgrade.
    Thank you. I do see the SDHelper is the only thing checked; therefore, that would have to be UNchecked when/if I uninstalled S&D.

#1- Regarding the small fix (remore-spybotsd-settings.reg) file. After it is downloaded, I would only have to "click" on it (while in IE7) and it would remove S&D entries from Registry. (Click on it just as though it was an .exe file?) No right click and then MERGE if I am using IE7. Correct?

Thanks again, Alice

(I know we went over this before but it was still a bit unclear to me and I just want to make sure I have it memorized correctly. Will now add it to my write-up on S&D that I'll keep for future reference.)

If the very small fix is saved to your desktop,you can either doubleclick it,or rightclick it and select Merge,it shouldn't make a difference.

Yes,you'd uncheck Resident "SDHelper" when/if you plan to uninstall Spybot.

I'm not a fan of IE, but I only use it if something requires Active X or if I am using Microsoft/Windows Update.

I am not sure if double-clicking it as if it was a .exe will suffice, but you might as well take the extra step and do it on your desktop. IE offers a 'Save' and a 'Run' option following the download, so you can experiment ; ) and see if 'Run' works.

I thought about it and yes, double-clicking or 'Run' will suffice. Notice how the first option (in a .exe file; right click) is Open and it is bold. Now if you think about it... the .reg file is similar. Double clicking will execute the file (.exe) and should do so for the .reg file.

I hope I cleared your doubts.

--drragostea