Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: S&d 1.5.20

Thanks all.
    I downloaded the "remove-spybotsd-settings.reg" file and saved it to my DOWNLOAD folder. That is why I was questioning how to 'run/execute' it.

I saw in previous post "Download and run the fix using internet explorer."

As usual, I got a bit confused about that, but then after thinking about it awhile I thought it just meant to download the 'reg' file while using IE. After downloading it (to my download folder), I could simply click on it to 'execute/run' it.

I've just heard so many stories about making changes to the REGISTRY and how it might ruin the compuer. I just bought this computer and would not want to ruin it with a wrong REGISTRY adjustment.

(I'm really a novice at all of this. Sorry!)

Alice
    Vista Home Premium sp1 / IE7 / Toshiba Satellite notebook 3GB Ram / 250GB HD / Defender / AVG 8 / SpyBot S&D 1.6 / SpyWare Blaster

Don't worry about it.

I ran it and it didn't cause the problem.

How about this. As a precaution, create a Restore Point and then run it.

Tell me how it goes.

My thanks again.

I will place a "completed" on my file on how to uninstall Spybot safely.

Would anyone know a very simple and easy to use (free) firewall? I am removing NIS from my old notebook (WinXPsp3). When the NIS is uninstalled, the NIS firewall be also be removed.

I was told Sygate was easy to use (even though it hasn't changed since 2005) and is still being used by many people. As you know, I am completely new to computers and the firewall would have to be very easy to install and execute/configure. Others have said that Comodo is good, but quite complicated and large (20MB).
    Thanks
    Alice
    Vista Home Premium sp1 / IE7 / Toshiba Satellite notebook 3GB Ram / 250GB HD / Defender / AVG 8 / SpyBot S&D 1.6 / SpyWare Blaster

Alice, my suggestion to you is that...

This is how I see it: I don't category or specifically pick software/programs based on how "big" or "small" they are. I rely on their functions and how they "operate" .

If I'm correct, Sygate firewall by now is a "dead" (unsupported/discontinued) firewall.

Comodo is a decent, robust firewall however it's Defense + may be a bit trouble for some users.

You can try ZoneAlarm or Kerio Personal Firewall (Sunbelt) if you do not wish to use Comodo Pro.
    --
    Safe surfing.

FYI: A "firewall" thread discussion is available in the Tavern.