Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&d 1.5.20

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    just wanted to add drragostea that that only needs to be done when using a different browser. If she uses internet explorer she can download the fix no problem. Do the process above but use internet explorer to download the small fix.

see: http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html
    use internet explorer to go to that page, then after following all directions and restarting your computer, download and install the latest version.
    Thanks
    When I delete I am doing:

un-immunize
    go into mode>advanced> >tools>resident (top left)
    and uncheck SDhelper and t-timer if checked
    go to add remove programs and remove spybot
    install 1.6 > update>immunize

Do I ALSO have to download that "fix" from the SpyBot site? When it downloads, what do I have to do then? Do I have to do that "merge" thing? As I said, I am complete a novice at all of this. This is very, very confusing for me.
    I am using VistaPremium sp1 / IE7.
    Alice

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    What I meant by that is when you click on the 'small fix' you'll see a bunch of text. Then download it, in other words 'Save' it to the desktop (Ctrl+S). Right click on the registry file and click 'Merge'. This would be done after you reboot.
    Read above.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Read above.
    I went to the SpyBot page (while in IE7) and ran the "small fix"
    but I didn't see a Merge mention anywhere. It just announced that files were added to the Registry.

I then downloaded the file and clicked on the file (remove-spybotsd-settings.reg) in the download folder and then it said the same thing, something like - the files were ADDED to Registry.

Did I do something wrong?

Lightbulb you did the fix correctaly....

if you downloaded the file and opened it. drragostea was telling you to do a merge, but that is only needed if another internet browser is used such as firefox. Internet explorer will download the file fine, which is why i told you to use that. Your fine, you did everything correctly. now restart and download the newest version of spybot and install it. After the install, if you experience any issues, do the uninstall like you did before, following all the directions on the link provided. Download and run the fix using internet explorer. Then restart and try to install again. Also, since you have vista, you must right click the spybot icon and choose run as administrator when you run the program.

By the way, the reason it is being added to the registry is because it is adding what is needed to be done, the tool is being added to the registry which clears the remains of spybot from your system.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-07-25 at 02:47.

This may be unnecessary, but good job 129260! I apologize if I wasn't making it clear tiger2.

if you downloaded the file and opened it. drragostea was telling you to do a merge, but that is only needed if another internet browser is used such as firefox. Internet explorer will download the file fine, which is why i told you to use that. Your fine, you did everything correctly. now restart and download the newest version of spybot and install it. After the install, if you experience any issues, do the uninstall like you did before, following all the directions on the link provided. Download and run the fix using internet explorer. Then restart and try to install again. Also, since you have vista, you must right click the spybot icon and choose run as administrator when you run the program.

By the way, the reason it is being added to the registry is because it is adding what is needed to be done, the tool is being added to the registry which clears the remains of spybot from your system.
    Thank you 129260
    I am glad I didn't hurt the machine (my husband would have been mad when he arrived home from visiting relatives if new Vista notebook was broken because of something I did).

I did the download/install of 1.6 but just at the end of the instalation, there was small pop-up window reading:
    "Unable to execute file: c:\program files\spy bot-search & destroy\SD Win Sec.exe..
    Create process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation."

As far as I could see, the 1.6 downloaded and loaded completely, except for that small pop-up window about the "unable to execute..."
    I got scared that it didn't load properly/completely; so I un-installed the 1.6 the same way I uninstalled the 1.5 and I also used the "fix" again. I hope that was okay to do even though this was an uninstall of the 1.6 (and not the 1.5). I thought maybe the "fix" might be only for the 1.5 version.

#1- Was it okay to use the "fix" also in the un-install of the 1.6? I don't want to 'hurt' the Vista notebook (with Registry changes, etc.).
    #2- What should I do now? Should I reinstall the 1.6 again? And if I do, what should I do if I get that same pop-up about the "unable to excute...?"
    Is that something critical that the SD Win Sec.exe must be executed?
    Do you have any thoughts?
    I am really confused, but thank you for all your help. (As I said, I am not at all familiar with this and as a senior, computers 'scare' me.)
    Alice
    Vista Home Premium sp1 / IE7 / Toshiba Satellite notebook 3GB Ram / 250GB HD / Defender / AVG 8 / SpyBot S&D 1.6 / SpyWare Blaster

Lightbulb its fine

Your fine. It is ok to use the fix again, but I don't think you need to. you can again, if you want. it won't hurt anything. Try downloading 1.6 again, and when you go to install it, make sure you run the setup as an administrator. Your not going to break your husbands laptop, not on my watch haha. Your fine, try downloading 1.6 again. Then try installing it again, if you continue to get that error, i hope a team member will be able to shed more light on this, because i have never seen that error before. Like i said, make sure you run the setup as an administrator. Right click the install file and run as administrator. Let me know if you need further help or you are unable to install the new version.

Your fine. It is ok to use the fix again, but I don't think you need to. you can again, if you want. it won't hurt anything. Try downloading 1.6 again, and when you go to install it, make sure you run the setup as an administrator. Your not going to break your husbands laptop, not on my watch haha. Your fine, try downloading 1.6 again. Then try installing it again, if you continue to get that error, i hope a team member will be able to shed more light on this, because i have never seen that error before. Like i said, make sure you run the setup as an administrator. Right click the install file and run as administrator. Let me know if you need further help or you are unable to install the new version.
    Thanks again for your kind assitance.
    I will try to download the 1.6 again tomorrow, but I just wanted to mention that the small "pop-up" box I received that read:

""Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Spy Bot - Search and Destroy\SD Win Sec.exe.
    Create Process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation.""

was received DURING the download/insallation. It WASN'T received AFTER the installation was completed and I clicked on the SpyBot icon.
    I know about doing a right-click on the SpyBot icon and then choosing Run As Administrator.
    The "pop-up" box that I received was DURING the download/installation process and there was no way to right-click on that.
    I don't know if not executing that file (SD Win Sec.exe) during the download/installation is a BIG problem or that it will create serious repercussions!
    During the download/installation there were two boxes checked, and they were:
    "Install Security Center Integration" and
    "Activate Security Center Integration."
    I think the 2nd one is the one relating to the pop-up (SD Win Sec.exe).
    I hope I am explaining this properly and it is not confusing.

Most of the replies have told me to right-click on icon and choose Run As Administrator. I knowI can do that AFTER the download and install. But my question deals with the pop-up message that is received DURING the INSTALLATION.
    By the way, I should mention that I usually choose "RUN" (so it is downloaded and installed while I am online) rather than the "SAVE" (which will download and SAVE the program to my download folder) when downloading the 1.6. I read some posts that said it is better to use "RUN" (rather than "SAVE) as the "RUN" will install all needed fills right away.
    #1- Which do you recommend?
    #2- And where do you download from?

Thanks Alice

P.S. I didn't see anywhere where I could mention that I was Administrator during the download/installation, when I performed the "RUN."

(I did send email to the SpyBot Support site when I originally got the 'pop-up" and they too told me to right click on the SpyBot icon. But as I said, I get the "pop-up" DURING the download/installation.)
    Last edited by tiger2; 2008-07-25 at 23:24.
    Vista Home Premium sp1 / IE7 / Toshiba Satellite notebook 3GB Ram / 250GB HD / Defender / AVG 8 / SpyBot S&D 1.6 / SpyWare Blaster

Just an add-on...
    I read what you said about running setup file as administrator. Just then I also got message from zenobia saying the same thing - "right click on setup file." I didn't know what that meant and then I realized that downloading the 1.6 as INSTALL will not allow a right click on any file. I was doing the wrong thing. I think Vista owners should be told to SAVE the file rather than use INSTALL.
    This time I ran SAVE and went to my download folder and did a right-click on the setup.exe file, and used 'Run as Administrator.' Lo and behold - it loaded with no "pop-up" about the error code 740. I did a download of latest updates; did immunize and then ran scan. Nothing found!

I did notice that when I went back into SpyBot and clicked on something (think it was immunize) it stated the "requested operation requires elevation." But when the box disappeared, the immunization began. I didn't have to close the program and then right-click on the 1.6 icon. Don't know what that is all about. Even though I did the "run as aministrator" when installing, maybe I will still have to right click on 1.6 icon and run ad admin. (Just a bit confusing.)
    Also, something minor - when I first entered program, it had "tip of the day." Is that a constant, or can I get rid of it?
    I thought the 1.6 would be shown in the Control Panel/Security, but it isn't there, just my AVG.

Sorry to have been such a bother and to have taken up so much of your time. I can't thank you enough for all your kind help.
    Alice
    Last edited by tiger2; 2008-07-26 at 00:49.

Lightbulb to keep having spybot

be on as administrator privileges, To make the "Run As Administrator" command Permanent right Click the Desktop Shortcut and go to: Properties => Application Compatibility => "Run As Administrator"

That way spybot will always run as administrator.

I am glad you were able to download and install it correctly. You are not a bother, asking questions helps you to learn!