Thread: IE settings change

Question IE settings change

Hi,

First day posting here, second issue of the day:

I keep having to reset my Tools>Internet Options>Connections to
    "never dial a connection". Every time I log on to the internet it has changed back to "dial whenever a network connection is not present". Then in the dial-up settings box there, I uncheck the "use a proxy server.. " boxes only to have them change back as well. It seems like a hijack, but
    I'm running ZoneAlarm firewall, Avast, Spybot S & D, Adaware SE personal, & PC Pitstop...none of them find anything.

I noticed the problem because I was getting "page cannot be displayed" errors that prevented all web pages from opening when I logged on. Now I can browse sometimes, but sometimes not.

Any ideas, anyone?

HP notebook/WinXP/SP2/Earthlink dial-up

Thank you,
    ~ D
    Last edited by dstn321; 2006-03-22 at 10:30.

The only guess I have is that you have the "automatic configuration" boxes checked on the settings screen. This what the help says on auto configuration:

Specifies to automatically detect proxy-server settings or automatic configuration settings, which are used to connect to the Internet and customize Internet Explorer.
    A proxy server acts as an intermediary between your internal network (intranet) and the Internet, retrieving files from remote Web servers.
    Automatic configuration settings are contained in a file provided by your system administrator.

Unhappy Thanks for your reply

I don't have the automatic configuration boxes checked, thanks anyway though, stevek.

~D