Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vundo and fake anti-virus

Security Expert-Emeritus steamwiz's Avatar

Hi

I expected BitDefender to find & delete all those files in the Symantec quarantine folder, but it didn't see any ...

Have another look in the Symantec AntiVirus\Quarantine folder & see if it's now empty ?

I've had a look at the file you uploaded, I don't see anything suspicious in it, it appears to be something related to a blues album called StrawbAiry Soul ? possibly a file generated during a burn/copy operation ? ... anyway I don't see it as a problem.

steam
    MICROSOFT MVP - Security 2004/9 .member of ASAP since 2004 - member of U.N.I.T.E

I had actually gone into both quarantine folders again and deleted everything prior to running the scan and they're both still empty as of now. It seems as though everything has been taken care of now, correct? I don't notice any problems on my end.

Hi

Yep ... everything looks OK now

Just one thing, I notice your java is out-of-date ... there have been 7 updates to java since the version you are using ...

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall any earlier versions ... in your case :-

jre1.6.0

Then You can go here and install the latest version of Java.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Scroll down the page to 'Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 7' and press the 'Download' button.

Running an out-of-date version of java is an infection risk.

Then ... Before you leave the site ...

Please Have a look here at ways to keep your computer safe :-

So how did I get infected in the first place? By TonyKlein > http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279

Happy surfing

steam
    MICROSOFT MVP - Security 2004/9 .member of ASAP since 2004 - member of U.N.I.T.E

Yeah I noticed something about my Java being out of date a couple days ago but haven't been on the ball to fix that yet. I'll definitely do it as soon as I can though.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

You're very welcome

I'll lock this thread now that it is resolved.

steam