Thread: spybot will not open

Default spybot will not open

my computer has been infected with what i believe to be vituomode (or whatever it's called)
    I'm getting pop ups slow internet and spontanous shutdowns
    I tried running spybot in safe mode and still nothing i would double click on the icon and nothing happens except a brief hourglass icon.
    hijackthis will not work
    nor will combofix or sdfix
    so I can't post a log right now

any ideas?

Exclamation

Hi.
    It would appear that I am having the same problem.
    I've loaded the latest version of Spybot but can't initiate a scan.

Have I intalled the software incorrectly?

I can initiate a scan on an individual file by right clicking, but I want to scan my entire PC... One file at a time may be a little time consuming.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Lowey
    Last edited by lowey; 2008-07-31 at 11:48. Reason: Posted to wrong thread...

Quote Originally Posted by 00dev
    my computer has been infected with what i believe to be vituomode (or whatever it's called)
    I'm getting pop ups slow internet and spontanous shutdowns
    I tried running spybot in safe mode and still nothing i would double click on the icon and nothing happens except a brief hourglass icon.
    hijackthis will not work
    nor will combofix or sdfix
    so I can't post a log right now

any ideas?
    You could ask for help in malware removal.

The instructions are here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Quote Originally Posted by tashi
    If you cannot run the Spybot scan at all, please go ahead and post the HJT log along with a note regarding scan/s failure.
    Please do not link to logs uploaded to a third party site unless requested, such links may be removed.
    Since you cannot run hijackthis,you could just let them know that too,and they might be able to help you out.

Malware removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Quote Originally Posted by lowey
    Hi.
    It would appear that I am having the same problem.
    I've loaded the latest version of Spybot but can't initiate a scan.

Have I intalled the software incorrectly?

I can initiate a scan on an individual file by right clicking, but I want to scan my entire PC... One file at a time may be a little time consuming.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Lowey
    Hi,lowey.Are you having malware problems too,or is it just that Spybot will not scan?

Quote Originally Posted by lowey View Post
    Not to go off topic, but scanning every file (hundreds of thousands) would be quite time consuming.

I recall that some trojans disable anti-spyware application installations or boots. I think the solution was that if you rename the application or the .exe installer to another name say like "Spybot-lowey" then it would execute properly. Or do you mean Spybot-SD freezes during a scan?

Better safe than sorry. lowey, take a visit to the Malware Forums.

Yes,better safe than sorry.However,I would still prefer it if lowey gave a little further information,rather than go to the malware forums right yet.I feel further info is needed.

I agree Zenobia. : )

Exclamation you guys remember.......

This thread? http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29261

Where we went through what felt like hundreds of questions when the user was unable to open spybot?

I'm still tracking his malware forum. Maybe if we find his solution, we can find 00dev's and lowey's.

I agree Zenobia. : )
    Cool.

This thread? http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29261

Where we went through what felt like hundreds of questions when the user was unable to open spybot?

I'm still tracking his malware forum. Maybe if we find his solution, we can find 00dev's and lowey's.
    Hi. Maybe,but it isn't always an open and shut case type thing.It's not always so simple.

As for 00dev,they have already posted in malware removal.They will be looked after in there,when/if a helper takes their case.We cannot be posting to 00dev from this thread anymore.
    A helper(security expert,etc.) in malware removal needs to work with their helpee one on one,or it is too confusing for everyone,except in very rare cases,like with objectivebrian,where someone from Team Spybot,etc. is needed.